Forums Latest Members
  1. Helvetia History Mar 20, 2013

Hello all,

About 6 months ago I was lucky enough to pick up an original black dialled gold capped 561 constellation. The dial was in excellent condition but the plating on the crown was quite worn.

I've recently decided I can't collect everything (unfortunately) so I am concentrating on bumpers from now on. I therefore decided to sell the 561 and acquired a crown and sent it to my watchmaker for fitting and a spruce up before advertising it.

When I got it back I noticed the crown looked a bit odd and on closer inspection I realised it was because the 561 is actually pink gold! Until I saw the crown contrasting I just hadn't picked it up!

Have a look at the pictures below. The dial and furniture are pristine, you can just see some age starting to show on the black dial in the pictures. In real life you can't see this at all without a loupe, I actually had trouble capturing the slight speckle when I wanted to show that it wasn't a redial, it looks like the last picture in day to day wear.

Don't you hate it when you decide to concentrate on one area of collecting. How do you let anything go! (Not that I have actually acted on the decision yet of course ;).)

Thanks.

561-1.jpg

561-2.jpg

561-3.jpg

561-4.jpg

apollo XI and alam like this.
  2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 20, 2013

These do look great in Pink Gold. :thumbsup: This one below was my first Constellation 0331.jpg

3. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Mar 20, 2013

The crown is probably an Omega replacement. Rose gold crowns aren't easy to find. Ofrei.com has them, but for only a small fraction of the vintage watches that actually were produced in rose.

It may be possible to have the crown "dipped" to change the color. I had this done on one of my watches with good results.

Ask your jeweler,
    gatorcpa

4. Lex4TDI4Life Mar 20, 2013

So....

Dibs? :D

5. Helvetia History Mar 21, 2013

Thanks Gator,

The crown is an official Omega yellow gold plated replacement that I bought to replace the worn yellow gold crown that was fitted to it when I bought it. It was only when it was fitted that I twigged that the watch was pink gold!

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 21, 2013

That's an interesting idea, the crown on my Cal 320 chrono is yellow gold and doesn't match, but it was nearly impossible even getting a yellow gold crown for a watch they only made a small number of in the first place.

7. TempusFugit Mar 21, 2013

Amazing!! I am in love ::love::

8. apollo XI Mar 24, 2013

I like it. ::love::

Congrats.

Giuseppe.