Forums Latest Members

Picked up a 2531.80 with red dot intact and full set. Have a few questions

1. rahul718 Apr 20, 2019

Hello,

I usually don’t buy preowned watches off of eBay but I took the chance and purchased what I think is a legit good deal. It’s a 2531.80 that was hardly worn, full set with all boxes (warranty card from a US authorized dealer but not dated) and red dot intact. So it was never opened and doesn’t look polished.

What kind of raises a question mark is the red dot. I noticed that it isn’t really centered between the lugs. See the pics. I did a google image search and most red dots were centered but did find two where the red dot was closer to where it is on mine. The first place my mind went was “is this fake?”. But the eBay seller has 100% feedback and 8000 items sold and does appear to sell other watches. He did guarantee authenticity.

I have been talking with Archer here to get this in for service. It’s likely minimum 13 years old with what seems to be no servicing ever done so it’s definitely in need. If all checks out during the service and there’s nothing “shady” then this will be a keeper. I would not get it polished also. Trying to keep it as original as possible.

Would appreciate any feedback in regards to the red dot placement and overall authenticity. I keep thinking it might be too good to be true and I’m trying to find something wrong. The seller ended the auction early at my request and I paid him via PayPal invoice. So, worse come worse and it’s not legit, I can’t go through eBay but I have some protection through PayPal. But maybe I’m jumping the gun here!

Archer did check the SN and it all matches. The SN on the chronometer card matches the watch as well.

Thanks all

06BB6DBB-3ADE-476D-A5FA-216E3486DFA5.jpeg FC9A7BC2-DE83-48B1-9674-3AE08DC27DE5.jpeg 7AA36BA6-70A7-42AC-9579-402794046D57.jpeg 47C447BB-AC4C-4F1D-BF7F-5FABA18BC000.jpeg B80570B9-808B-4EF9-8B0D-C3E2A8243C98.jpeg 758C5424-49F0-48CE-88FB-2FCC36C4A6C1.jpeg
  2. mr_smith Apr 20, 2019

Wow, congrats on your watch! 81m serial number, so one of the later ones (mine is one of the later 80m serial numbers, bought in 2005). Looks to be in great condition. I looked back through all of my photos and I see a glaring omission in my picture taking with new watches - the caseback! ::facepalm2:: As much as I love the casebacks, apparently I was just too smitten with the rest. That being said, I do have one photo of my 45mm PO where the red dot is pretty well centered and I just checked my AT (from 2014) that hasn't been serviced yet - the AT has the red dot slightly off center (not as far off center as yours, but still off center). I know what one could say about my reply, 'pics or didn't happen', so sorry no pics. Additionally, did a quick search and the red dot application seems to be a practice Omega has stopped altogether:

https://omegaforums.net/threads/red-dot-missing.31762/

3. Bimmerman77 Apr 20, 2019

Wow that’s a great grab. My red dot wasn’t centered on mine either. I think you got a winner

4. WatchVaultNYC Apr 20, 2019

no requirement for the red dot to be centered. Its a keeper!

5. rahul718 Apr 20, 2019

Appreciate the feedback guys

I figured it’s not a requirement for it to be centered but it’s gotta get you thinking that the lack of inconsistency fits in well with replicas. Ive had an Omega with the red dot in the back and it was more or less centered. And when you see google images of the same you start to think of something is up with yours. I’m probably overthinking it.

So far in 4 hours it lost .5 sec. definitely acceptable for a watch that presumably has never been serviced and is probably 13 years old. Are replicas that accurate?

Anything else to check that will help me authenticate before sending it in? I’m not opening it up myself

Edited Apr 20, 2019
  6. mr_smith Apr 20, 2019

Easy to go down that road and I've done it myself! I saw a comment on a forum somewhere though that helped put my mind at ease with such things... something to the effect of, "If you go looking for a problem, you're going to find a problem. Whether a problem exists or not." Now, it doesn't mean problems don't actually exist but it helped put things into perspective for me.

My 2531.80 also came from Ben Bridge. Again, being overjoyed to have it and too smitten with the thing (it being my first nice watch) I didn't realize until later that they'd given me the wrong box and cards! I know, rookie mistake not looking it ALL over (I've since learned :thumbsup:). However, with the sales receipt, I reached out to Omega and they provided new cards to match my serial number and date of purchase. I wonder if you could do something similar... does the seller happen to have the original receipt? Or, could you reach out to Ben Bridge to see if they can use the serial number to track back the purchase date and location?

7. rahul718 Apr 20, 2019

I’m not all that concerned about the lack of date on the card. The red dot placement is what I’m curious about. I think “why is it placed weird on this when every other one I’ve seen is centered” and then it gets me thinking of inconsistency that’s in line with cheap replicas.

Edited Apr 20, 2019
  8. mr_smith Apr 20, 2019

Noted on the lack of date - I have a couple like that and also no concerns. I was just thinking of calling Ben Bridge as another way to authenticate (mostly was thinking of the serial number). I get how you might wonder about the red dot placement, seeing images of others centered. I wish I had some other insight to offer. Nice though that Bimmerman77 confirmed also not centered on his - so, it can definitely happen like that from the factory.