Picked this up today..

Hi All, picked up this 2391 today with a movt range of roughly 1944. Pretty obviously the dial is an old or very old refinish with nice patina - can someone tell me or show me possibly what the original dial might have looked like? The crown I’m guessing is also not original but been on there a long time..

Is it worth sourcing a correct (lumed) original dial or leave as found ? I was attracted to it because of the funky aged dial and paid $400 in fully working condition and the case is steel..

cheers,

Konrad

The crown is definitely wrong. It looks like a silver crown which was used on watches from the early days of wristwatches (20ies) like the "Banana" or the "Tonneau".
Going by the position of the regulator the movement needs a full service urgently...
I doubt whether it is financially justifiable to invest more money in this project for a correct dial.
just my 2 cents

I was attracted to it because of the funky aged dial and paid $400 in fully working condition and the case is steel..
It's a redial, but it's an awesome redial :). Since that's what attracted you to the watch, leave it be. If you want to wear the watch on a regular basis, you should invest in a "movement service" by an independent watchmaker near you who is familiar with vintage watches. They will disassemble the watch, clean out the funk, lubricate the moving parts, and reassemble the watch and adjust the timing. Then you'll have a unique but functional timepiece.

It's a redial, but it's an awesome redial :). Since that's what attracted you to the watch, leave it be. If you want to wear the watch on a regular basis, you should invest in a "movement service" by an independent watchmaker near you who is familiar with vintage watches. They will disassemble the watch, clean out the funk, lubricate the moving parts, and reassemble the watch and adjust the timing. Then you'll have a unique but functional timepiece.
+1 We’ve discussed this watch here before. Movement service and this can be a great daily wear watch.

The crown is definitely wrong. It looks like a silver crown which was used on watches from the early days of wristwatches (20ies) like the "Banana" or the "Tonneau".
Going by the position of the regulator the movement needs a full service urgently...
I doubt whether it is financially justifiable to invest more money in this project for a correct dial.
just my 2 cents

..thanks for your input and I guess it boils down to personal taste.. The watch as is is keeping perfect time at the moment and will consider a full service if things deteriorate..

From some online searching this one looks like it might have been the watch in its original state - can someone back this up please ?