Picked this up at an estate sale...

You just need to be an established member with 200 posts.

Thanks for your help!

for the record, I bought this for $25 and sunk about $500 to get a new crystal and servicing. Runs and looks beautiful.

I believe they said it’s 1969? I can’t recall, but I should see if they noted it

Estate sales are awesome

Wow… that’s really an unbelievable bargain. Out of interest do you have any before pictures taken prior to the work ? I’m wondering what a $25 speedy looks like.

Wow… that’s really an unbelievable bargain. Out of interest do you have any before pictures taken prior to the work ? I’m wondering what a $25 speedy looks like.
I wish I could recall if I even took one, but I’ll post it if find it. The crystal was noticeably scratched and the watch ran intermittently.

I wish I could recall if I even took one, but I’ll post it if find it. The crystal was noticeably scratched and the watch ran intermittently.

Wow. That’s a great deal for you.. bad for the estate!

If you still have the old crystal it could likely be revived with Polywatch and some elbow grease.

can you briefly state the sales rules? I wasn’t trying to sell it on here, I apologize if it was perceived that way
It’s ok I did that with a Rolex Cellini I had a long time ago here I got jumped on a bit saying I was trying to sell it but at the time I didn’t even know watches were sold on the forum. I just needed info as I had the thing sitting for ten years unworn and I knew nothing about it. Still to this day I have yet to sell a watch here, bought quite a few though.

A good lesson in Estate management. Even if you keep your collection a secret, at LEAST leave a note behind.

Thanks for your help!

for the record, I bought this for $25 and sunk about $500 to get a new crystal and servicing. Runs and looks beautiful.

I believe they said it’s 1969? I can’t recall, but I should see if they noted it

Estate sales are awesome

Overprized.....

Do we have estate sales in the UK or do things just get sent to auction houses? I keep reading here about the amazing bargains that American members find in estate sales and I’m very envious!

Do we have estate sales in the UK or do things just get sent to auction houses? I keep reading here about the amazing bargains that American members find in estate sales and I’m very envious!
There’s probably some glib reason we have so many in the US, poor planning, not taking good care of our elderly, whatever else. Honestly they’re kind of the worst. I go to them, I’ve found a few good things but half the time you’re walked through someone’s house that likely recently passed and the family doesn’t know what else to do with their stuff. Sometimes it’s just someone moving to assisted living or to another state and the sale is to get rid of everything else they can’t or don’t want to take.

10 years ago my grandparents died a few months apart, my parents had an estate sale for the last of their stuff that family members didn’t have room for. There were plenty nice items, people were horrible though, “you want $20 for this? I would give you $5 but $20 is ridiculous. $2? This should be free” - my father said something to them along the lines of F off. If you ever go to an estate sale, a little haggling Is fine but don’t be an ass. If you ever need to hold an estate sale, hire someone to run it, too painful otherwise.

That’s really interesting. I don’t think we have estate sales. We have a lot of low budget auction houses but most are networked to UK-wide websites and are picked over by dealers. People’s possessions sometimes end up in car boot sales, from where my dad once bought a beautiful 19th century mantelpiece clock for a tenner. But I personally feel that the number of bargains there have diminished because of the daytime TV shows about antiques which has convinced everyone that their junk is valuable.

Thanks for your help!

Estate sales are awesome
Holy crap. You struck the lottery there!
I'd better tell my wife what everything of mine is worth before she decides to sell it when I'm gone...

Wow, nice pick up, congrats :thumbsup:

Saw an Antiques Roadshow the other day where someone bought a ‘box of frames’ from an estate sale for the equivalent of £50. Turns out it contained a Picasso sketch estimated to be worth £40-60,000. So there are finds to be had, though in this case I’m surprised the estate organisers didn’t check values beforehand (wouldn’t take much googling)

nice find alright.
Yeah id love to go to an estate sale one day. Never heard of one....

In the UK it’s just carboots/house clearances.