Forums Latest Members

Piaget Altiplano Ultimate Concept watch now available

1. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Apr 28, 2020

I thought this watch was really cool when it came out 2 years ago but it was only a concept watch then i.e. not available commercially. At a maximum thickness of 2 mm, it is the thinnest mechanical watch ever made.

It looks stylish too, with its exposed movement yet clear dial and hands.

upload_2020-4-28_11-30-23.png upload_2020-4-28_11-32-20.png

2. Ninja2789 Apr 28, 2020

I remember reading about this watch when it first came out and it sounded crazy. They were saying you had to be careful strapping one the watch because it might flex the entire case/movement.

Amazing they are getting this into production.

3. ConElPueblo Apr 28, 2020

Eve, Aquariusmatic, Dsloan and 5 others like this.
  4. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Apr 28, 2020

LOL. Let me rephrase that. The dial is indeed busy but the time subdial is pretty clear to me.
    Often watches with visible movements (e.g. skeletonized) I cannot see the hands through all the clutter.

5. Canuck Apr 28, 2020

I’m interested when they bring out an automatic wind with perpetual calendar that is even slimmer! :D In other words, not for me.

6. Lurk41 Apr 28, 2020

The biggest issue will be to find aftermarket strap as slim as the case :whistling:

I would probably never have the money to buy it, and buy other watches if I had that kind of money, but I like it TBH.
    A shame the website misses a configurator to play with all the combinations. I would have love to configure it and choose something that suits well my virtual DB11 :D

apsm100 and Deafboy like this.
  7. calalum Apr 28, 2020

All of that and they don’t even show how that crown works? And what is the price? Just curious.

8. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Apr 28, 2020

How about if it also had a "sonnerie"? ::bleh::

9. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Apr 28, 2020

I recall the watch had a small tool to extend the crown.

The price? If you have to ask, then...

10. vbrad26 Apr 28, 2020

I thought exactly the same.
    Invicta called, they want their design back.
    :D::stirthepot::

Deafboy likes this.
  11. Evitzee Apr 28, 2020

Good luck wearing a watch this thin, the crystal is only 0.2mm thick. Any slight flex in the case putting it on or taking it off will put that crystal under great stress, and if you put any impact on it while on your wrist, goodbye crystal. Some years ago Concord had their Delirium series that got thinner and thinner, eventually reaching <1.5mm, but they were unwearable, the crystal would pop off by putting stress on the case as the strap was tensioned. This Piaget is a great achievement for sure, but it isn't a real practical watch in day to day life.

12. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Apr 28, 2020

Could you elaborate on a "practical watch in day to day life." It's a dress watch...

The Delirum is a 1970's design. Lot's of things have changed in engineering capabilities since:
    Maybe the case is stiffer than the Delirium.
    Maybe the crystal is mounted such that case flexure won't stress the crystal beyond catastrophic damage.
    Maybe the crystal, being so thin, is more flexible and can withstand flexure without catastrophic damage.

Well maybe Piaget have a bunch of dumb engineers designing expensive watches that can break apart when one wears it in its intended use.

Edited Apr 28, 2020
  13. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Apr 28, 2020

There was a point where I besotted by this watch. Glad I did not act on it.

14. Lurk41 Apr 29, 2020

The movement and the case are integrated together, it is a single piece. You could compare this to how car frames evolved. A regular watch is like a car with a ladder frame or a perimeter frame. This Altiplano is more like an unibody.
    Plus, from what I saw they used 18k gold for the Delirium: not really the most rigid alloy. This Altiplano uses a Cobalt alloy: those are much more rigid than any stainless steel.

Deafboy likes this.