Forums Latest Members
  1. zeebra Jan 30, 2017

I intend to buy this watch, but not enough knowledge to evaluate. Help me please.
    IMG_3797.JPG IMG_3798.JPG IMG_3799.JPG IMG_3800.JPG IMG_3801.JPG IMG_3802.JPG IMG_3803.JPG IMG_3804.JPG IMG_3805.JPG IMG_3806.JPG

2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jan 30, 2017

Dial has been refinished, do not buy it.

Bumper and zeebra like this.
  3. redpcar Jan 30, 2017

or if you like it, buy it knowing that it is not a collector grade. Request a deep discount ;)
    Original dial is worth half the value.

Mouse_at_Large, Foo2rama and zeebra like this.
  4. zeebra Jan 30, 2017

thank you, can you give me some detail to know it for next time?

5. zeebra Jan 30, 2017

They offer me about $320, is it worthit?

6. DON Jan 30, 2017

Dial has been redone. New luminous in the hands. Not sure if a Seamaster as back is clean. Maybe milled or just a standard automatic model and reprinted with Seamaster

Minute markers printed in the wrong spot or wrong hands. Sweep hand not correct.

Have you seen the movement to check condition? Thats always a major to make sure it's not a piece of crap inside and badly aged

If the movement is clean. Offer $250.00 due to back, dial and hands.

DON

zeebra likes this.
  7. Ravineman Jan 30, 2017

I would buy that in a heartbeat for $ 350 if the movement kept good time. Beautiful watch even if its not collector quality

Mouse_at_Large likes this.
  8. zeebra Jan 30, 2017

actually, I think it's beautiful to buy, but as Mr Don said "Not sure if a Seamaster as back is clean. Maybemilled or just a standard automatic model and reprinted with Seamaster". I think I have to consider it

9. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jan 30, 2017

Case back is just fine, but again the dial is refinished and not very well.

Save your money for a better example.

zeebra likes this.
  10. zeebra Jan 31, 2017

Thank you all for your advices, I think I'll save money for a better one.

11. Giff2577 Quick with the tools! Jan 31, 2017

I can see Seamaster on the back. Good advice above to keep looking.

12. slique12 Jan 31, 2017

+1 on the redial, better ones out there:)

13. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Jan 31, 2017

Just for the sake of balance, I’ll chime in.

The majority of members here (to a greater or lesser extent) have a “collector” attitude to vintage watches. They would prefer the dial, hands, case and lugs to be as close to original as possible. They value these attributes and are willing to accept and indeed value some degree of ageing, often called “patina” as a sign of originality that adds to the character of the watch. Redials, even well done ones detract from the originality and desirability. I’m oversimplifying here, and there are nuances and degrees of opinion within the collector mentality. I respect their passion and understand their views.

However, I also understand that there will be those that are not so wedded to this attitude. In the present case, I’ve looked at the photos and in my opinion it’s a nice looking watch. It may not have an original dial (or hands), but that does not mean it should be condemned to a circle in Horological Hell.

Someone might well buy it and wear it with pleasure, and I wouldn’t treat them with contempt for doing so or label them as an unthinking “Oooh – shiny” simpleton.

All that having been said, the state of the movement still has to be established!

Edited Feb 1, 2017
    Bumper, Cosd, nurseford25 and 3 others like this.
  14. Cosd Feb 1, 2017

As a newbie myself who keeps reading these types of posts to gain better understanding of what to look for in any watch, I think a combination of all the advice above along with your excellent reply is one of the best posts I have read in that it puts the various opinions into perspective.
    As I read through the replies I felt this was another watch belonging to the trash heap, but in the end deciding myself that it does in fact have its merits, how 'nice' it is is just depends on what the buyers requirements are.

Cos

Cos

Edited Feb 1, 2017
    Mouse_at_Large likes this.