Forums Latest Members
  1. aap Aug 15, 2017

Hey guys!

Tried searching the forum if this concern has been addressed before, but I couldn't find any.

I notice my photo quality diminishes when I upload onto the forum. The photo quality (contrast, saturation) lowers when uploaded here. And this applies to photos transferred from my phone to the laptop (to make sure I'm viewing and comparing the quality with the same device).

I notice that other members who post pics have punchier images than mine. Any ideas how to explain this? Thanks!

2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 15, 2017

How are you transferring to your laptop? Also which mobile device?

aap likes this.
  3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 15, 2017

That's very weird indeed, we don't do anything to your images when they're uploaded but Tapatalk do if you're using that?

aap likes this.
  4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 15, 2017

iPhones will desample pictures when emailed, esp if you send a batch.

aap likes this.
  5. aap Aug 15, 2017

My usual process is to upload the photo via my iPhone but not through tapatalk, but safari. I only tried transferring the pic to my MacBook (through iPhoto) to test if that would improve the quality.

6. aap Aug 15, 2017

On another note @dsio , I never got an alert when you guys replied in this thread.

7. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 15, 2017

Oddly creating a post does not give you alerts when people respond. You only get alerts to threads you comment on.

8. aap Aug 15, 2017

I've created a bunch of threads here over the years and I always get reply notifications. Then again I also commented on them. So maybe I only started getting alerts after I commented.

9. abrod520 Aug 15, 2017

I have noticed my photos do tend to appear less saturated / more grainy when uploaded, but I always chalked that up to the size and screen difference.

aap likes this.
  10. steelgecko Aug 27, 2017

I also can't really understand how photos work. I can "add photos" direct from my laptop's folders using the button next to "Options" and "Reply", but when I try and use the "Image" icon button in the bar above the text box, say from Imgur, they don't load, I just get an IMG icon with a red cross through it. Direct URL linking or BB code doesn't seem to have any effect. Anyone know how to add from Imgur?

11. abrod520 Aug 27, 2017

Make sure the URL that you grab ends in .jpg or .gif - a lot of those sites add extra embed code after the image location and that screws it up. Best way to go about it is to right-click on the image itself and select "Copy image location" so you'll get it directly.

12. Rman Sep 16, 2017

@dsio I too am noticing significant quality reduction when I upload from my Mac. If I look at the photo in Photos app and what ends up on the screen it's pretty poor resolution. Any ideas?

13. duc Sep 16, 2017

My problem is more basic and doubt anyone will be able to help; I don't take photos very well. I am in a state of perpetual envy at the quality of many regular contributors here. :whistling:

14. mikechi22 Sep 16, 2017

I'm not sure that's correct. I created a post the other day and I received alerts when people liked or added comments. Strangely, with that post, I couldn't get the tagging function to work, but it kicked in two days later.

Overall, I was just commenting to my better half this afternoon: this forum architecture is really slick!