Forums Latest Members
  1. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Oct 13, 2018

2. zrleopold Oct 13, 2018

It's so great to read your thoughts on these pieces! Thanks for sharing.

Regarding both 2915 speedies, is it common to see such a variation in the wear between the bezel and the rest of the watch? Or, does the write-up suggest the bezel may not be original to the watch?

3. M'Bob Oct 13, 2018

Nicely commented on, as usual. Thanks. Someone is dreaming if they think that garden-variety Ed White will reach that estimate.

Foo2rama and Spacefruit like this.
  4. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Oct 13, 2018

I think the estimate for the Ed White ($20-30k) is high (watch on right side). I always said I would sell mine (left) when prices were $25k...not thinking I am going to be selling it any point in the near future. At some point I do think Ed Whites sell for $25k price range, just no idea when.

Thanks for sharing the auction and your comments.

Going back to the Christie's Auction in Dec 2015.

2915-1 was estimated at $100-150k
    2915-2 was estimated at $50-80k

My how times have changed.

upload_2018-10-13_11-1-10.png

SpeedyPhill, noelekal, ras47 and 11 others like this.
  5. ext1 Oct 13, 2018

I always love reading these blog posts. That one about auction houses around April I particularly liked. Thanks as always for these insights! I really appreciate them.

Spacefruit likes this.
  6. chronoboy64 Oct 13, 2018

great read und huge thanks for sharing your knowledge :thumbsup:

Spacefruit likes this.
  7. Basset Hound Oct 13, 2018

Very helpful and interesting comments on these listings. Thank you.

Spacefruit likes this.
  8. simonsays Oct 13, 2018

The Alaska project has a case that appears heavily re lapped, and yet has purple delivery gunk on the case back. A bit 'prepared'? I think its an odd choice to restore the case on such an historical watch.

Spacefruit and GrapeFruit like this.
  9. GrapeFruit Oct 13, 2018

It may well be rare and historical---- but, I find it ugly :)

10. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Oct 13, 2018

Stick around....;)

BlueBoy, ext1 and GrapeFruit like this.
  11. simonsays Oct 13, 2018

I think adding some minute markers would have been a good call. Cushion cases are like marmite, or flared trousers?

Mtnmansa and GrapeFruit like this.
  12. GrapeFruit Oct 13, 2018

Yeah, and another case... and proper sub-dials. And why not a readable "bezel".

But thats just me. Maybe I'm too old for modern stuff like this, or should I say conservative :)

13. GrapeFruit Oct 13, 2018

Oh, almost forgot.... I really love your blog, so much I've learned from that!

Spacefruit likes this.
  14. wsfarrell Oct 13, 2018

Great write-up. I'm wondering if you can share a reference or link to the $5,000 cost of restoring a gold bracelet. Thanks-----

15. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Oct 13, 2018

Last time I had it done that was the cost, and it was with a goldsmith who has since retired. I do know Simon Freese has found someone but I have not used him.

wsfarrell and Puma like this.
  16. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Oct 13, 2018

Don't have enough knowledge to give a valuable opinion, so I am just thinking aloud on this really:

I'm very interested to see how the 105.012-66 CB and the Ed White get on in the sale.

Not sure about the 145.022-69. Great condition but I would have to see the 'brown' dial in natural light to know if I like it.

Out of my price range but these Gold & Burgandy Speedmasters always make me want them. This one does not seem as clean and sharp as the one you sold on the forum a while back.

The blue dial??? I agree. Once you look past the dial colour there are one or two things that would not be so easily overlooked if it were a black dial 105.003.

I know nothing about these Alaska prototype watches but they instantly make me smile. There is so much to love about them.

2915-1 The dial on this watch is a lovely brown but overall I agree that the 2915-2 is superior. The wear on the bezel is interesting. On Speedmaster101 you have examples where the black colour that highlights the numbers is still very definite despite the age of the watch. This does ask questions about how a steel bezel (if original) could become so worn, over 60 years, without other parts of the watch suffering the same sort of wear and tear. I would also expect to see some significant wear to the lugs, crown and pushers.

Edited Oct 13, 2018
    marco, murph and Spacefruit like this.
  17. jimmyd13 Oct 13, 2018

I just realised I have a serious watch problem. How? Why only now? Because, as I finished reading that article; as I gazed at the last photo; as I leafed between the two 2915s, comparing bezels ... I realised I was actually holding my breath.

wristpirate, murph, kov and 6 others like this.
  18. M'Bob Oct 13, 2018

Called watch-love, bro. It's okay, as long as it's a supplement to the real flesh kind. Or watch-lust?

jimmyd13 likes this.
  19. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Oct 13, 2018

I'm always interested to see how inflated "normal" watches become when sold at Phillips or Christies. By that, I mean that people willingly pay 20-50%+ more than they would otherwise have to pay for watches that aren't necessarily rare. The Ed White almost seems as if Phillips has a bid locked in at the low-end no matter what, as it's the inverse of the typical strategy of stating low estimates to encourage bidding wars (one of the clear instances of this is the Heuer Carrera 2447NST marked at $8-12K, despite those privately selling in the low-20's for the past year). I suspect that CB sells near the high-end and the Ed White sells near the low-end. If either of them go for significantly more, I'll chalk it up to a couple of bidders winning them purely for the sport of it.

The 2915 duo is mesmerizing. My own preference is the -2, as it's about as close to perfect as I've seen. I'm chalking up the bezel wear to sleeve polish, but I do admit that it could have been added in order to prepare it for auction. As long as it's a legitimate BASE 1000 bezel, I have less issue with this than others who require 100% originality to be interested. I believe the most recent record was $400K, so will be interesting to see if the tropical -1 breaks the $500K barrier (would not surprise me). I won't be bidding on any of these, but I'll be watching very, very closely with a big tub of popcorn!

rfordo, sdre, murph and 2 others like this.
  20. rob#1 Oct 13, 2018

Great preview. It’ll be interesting to see how crazy the market is, especially after seeing some of the sale prices from the Robin Williams auction. Vintage watches are really hot right now; I’m not sure if they’ll be able to hold these values...

murph likes this.