Forums Latest Members

Phenomenato - Suitable for Over-Under (Reversed Tuck) method?

1. FFabian Jun 12, 2021

I need your help. I bought an OEM Omega Nato strap recently but discovered that they're not suitable for the Over-Under (also called Reversed Tuck) method of wearing a strap. The main tail with the buckle is too long and lies parallel to the Metal Loop of the second strip if you flip it over. I have a Strap from Crown and Buckle were the second strip of fabric (called „Under Keeper“ by Hodinkee) is longer than the main strip with the buckle enabling the Reverse tuck method.

Is the second strip (the additional strip of fabric) of the Nato strap from Phenomenato like Omegas or like the Crown and Buckle straps? Anyone here that bought one from Phenomenato and can help me out here?

I added three pictures explaining the issue. First is the method explained. Second picture is the Crown and Bucklestrap. Third picture shows the Omega OEM strap.
    how-to-wear-a-nato-strap.jpg IMG_3696.jpg IMG_3695.jpg

Edited Jun 12, 2021
  2. Donn Chambers Jun 12, 2021

I have several Phenomenato straps (just bought one in fact) as well as several Omega NATO straps, so I can compare. Based on my measurements, the Pnenomenato strap is 28mm longer and 1 mm thinner.

I’m not a fan of the reversed-tuck method, but I would think the Phenomenato would be easier and leave less bulk on your inner wrist. Just beware the seller is a one-man shop and it can take 4-6 weeks to get your strap.

3. FFabian Jun 12, 2021

@Donn Chambers Thanks for your reply. What about the length of the tail with the buckle? Is it the same length as the second strip? As shown in the pictures the Omega NATOs second strip (Hodinkee called it under keeper) is exactly as long as the main strip when you fold it over making it unsuitable for the reversed tuck method.

Edited Jun 12, 2021
  4. gpstar Jun 12, 2021

Just a FYI, Phenomenato can custom size all parts / lengths of the straps for you if you contact them ahead of time and let them know what you want.

5. Donn Chambers Jun 12, 2021

Now I understand what you mean. Unfortunately, the Phenomenato and Omega are identical in this aspect.

6. FFabian Jun 12, 2021

Thanks.
    Seems I have stay with Crown and Buckle or try to get the Phenomenato guy to make me a custom strap.

Don’t get me wrong - I like Crown and Buckle but importing these straps to the EU is a significant hassle (time and money).