Forums Latest Members
  1. Speyside Ev3rclear's 8th fake account... or something Oct 22, 2015

im selling a 4k watch to china.

the buyer asked for uninsured but tracked shipping and wants me to declare a false value on the watch.

i agreed if he confirmed that he will bare all risks involved.

we agreed on paypal payment.

im afraid that paypal will decide in the buyers favor once a case is opend in an (unlikely) emergency situation.

do u guys have any advice?

would it help if he sends the money "as a gift" or can even these sendings be withdrawn? (for instance if he sends the money and then calls up paypal and says: "well i had a typo i just wanted to send 400)

2. Geo! Oct 22, 2015

It could go well or end in a world of hurt. Personally I wouldn't do it.

3. base615 Oct 22, 2015

Far be it for me to approve of sending with false customs declarations but I believe you can insure for a different value to that which is declared.

4. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Oct 22, 2015

Is it going to Hong Kong or mainland China? We have no customs or import duties into HK so if it is being sent here it could be trying a scam. If going into mainland China I would keep copies of all emails and wait until after the funds have cleared your paypal account, and then transferred into your bank before you send. That is if I was going to do it. There is an amount of risk if it is a known brand as someone in the post office may open the box and recognise an Omega, Rolex etc.

5. Speyside Ev3rclear's 8th fake account... or something Oct 22, 2015

its going to shanghai china

6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Oct 22, 2015

Bank transfer or nothing. Your watch your terms.;)

cicindela likes this.
  7. Brench Oct 22, 2015

Did you call paypall? Would be curious to know how they see it. Otherwise, just like standy suggest: wire or nothing.

8. abrod520 Oct 22, 2015

Even then, make sure you're getting it wired to a savings account with withdrawal restrictions. If you give your checking account for bank wire, it's possible to create a demand draft on it and cause you all sorts of problems.

That said, not everyone out there is a scammer, so you might want to do some Google searches on the guy / see if he has references etc.

9. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 22, 2015

Yes bank tranfer, do not do paypal for this. If the buyer files with paypal you lose simple. All the buy has to say is the item was broken and he gets the money back. You might even get charged for sending different fraud watch back to you.

10. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Oct 22, 2015

You want PayPal to protect you, even though the declared value on the shipping will not be accurate?

Good luck! :eek:

11. alam Oct 22, 2015

The question you must ask yourself in the proposed gamble is, how much is a $4K watch worth to you?

repoman and Geo! like this.
  12. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Oct 22, 2015

Alright,

Here's the deal:

1. If you send it without proper declaration and it arrives and is signed for, you are entitled to all the same protections as you would if you insured it. Be sure to keep the description the same.

2. If it is lost, regardless of whether or not it was declared at full value, Paypal will not "pay" for your loss. The only difference between declaring it at full value and paying insurance, and not declaring full value nor paying insurance is that if it is lost, you are at a loss.

Make sure under all circumstances that the buyer signs for it and that that signature is retrievable in times of need.

sliceoftime_ likes this.
  13. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Oct 22, 2015

First of all who the heck asks for total uninsured and low declaration to a country that has a higher than average loss rate? PayPal will completely side with the buyer if it is ever failed for delivery.

sliceoftime_ likes this.
  14. WatchVaultNYC Oct 22, 2015

If you under-declare value, you will not be able to insure the watch for the actual value.

If payment is via Paypal, you bear all risks until successful delivery.

Therefore if buyer agrees to accept all risk, Paypal can't be the payment method.

You should never under-declare, as it's a shady practice. But if you must, ask for a wire payment.

15. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Oct 22, 2015

Yes - a wire transfer will do you right.

16. rogart ray it again, Ram. Oct 22, 2015

It's a tricky question ? I am on the buyers side. Even though you should not send with undervalued shipping . I do understand him. I have done it . Yes i agree it stupid . But do a wire transfer i will never do again in my life . There is no way as a buyer you can trust the seller. And there is no way you can get your money back if the seller doesn't send you the watch .Or whatever it is? .

17. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Oct 22, 2015

Oh. A Paypal Question. Never mind

image.jpg

18. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 22, 2015

IMO, the only solution is an escrow service. I'm sure they would not want to be involved with a deal where there is a large customs risk.

This looks like one of those situations where it would likely be best for both sides to walk away from the deal.
    gatorcpa

noelekal, Tritium and rogart like this.
  19. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Oct 22, 2015

PayPal gift is the only payment I would accept, even that could get jacked if the credit card was stolen.
    But no he can't recall the payment or tell paypal he sent the wrong amount, once its sent, its sent. The only thing that could take the payment back is in the case of fraud (stolen credit card, etc). If you don't know the buyer, and you don't live in the same country I would find another buyer or insist on wire transfer.

20. snick777 Oct 22, 2015

Paypal will not help you, eBay will side with the buyer always. The eBay slogan is "Don't list it if you can't afford to lose it". It is a scam do not lose your watch over a deal that was too good. I recently had a legit sale that the buyer pulled a fraud scam on me for $1400.00 on a Tutor and he was in the US. I followed eBay and Paypal policy accordingly and they sided with the buyer. Ebay has a class action lawsuit for Unfair business practices, ongoing right now for this very reason. My advice to you is sell your watch elsewhere or risk losing it with no payment.