Forums Latest Members

PayPal charging sales tax on ebay sales?

1. WhatYourWatchSay Nov 14, 2019

I sold two watches on ebay and PP just took my buyer for over $25 CAD in sales tax.

I'm located in Ontario, Canada and the buyer is in America.

When did this absurdity start?

I'm already paying taxes on my sales up here and now my buyers have to pay US based sales tax?

Edited Nov 14, 2019
  2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Nov 14, 2019

EBay international sites now takes/ collects the 10% GST in Australia for goods under $1000 dollars as of July.
    Heaps of bigger online sites in the US do this also. ( smaller sites don’t )

Tax man has caught up to a lot of online sites ;)

SwissZ and WhatYourWatchSay like this.
  3. WhatYourWatchSay Nov 14, 2019

connieseamaster likes this.
  4. Evitzee Nov 14, 2019

South Dakota vs Wayfair, Inc, US Supreme Court decision in June 2018 upheld this tax grab by the states. The system is in transition.

5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 14, 2019

connieseamaster and DaveK like this.
  6. MikeMan2727 Nov 14, 2019

Yes, I just experienced this first-hand the other day.

They want to collect taxes from US sales, fine.

I also don't understand the idea of collecting state sales tax for items coming from abroad. The explanation I read is that "it has to do with the state the item is being shipped to."

I don't see myself buying many more high value items on ebay since taxes will kill any good deals I can find. Couple that with possible import charges, which are completely separate, and the buyer ends up being taxed twice.

It's too bad for ebay - I feel like the number of deals done outside of ebay or directly through PP will increase substantially over time.

wsfarrell likes this.
  7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 14, 2019

That is 100% correct. Almost all states with sales tax also have use tax. Use tax is a tax on goods coming into the state which are not subject to sales tax from the seller. Generally, that would include sales coming in from another state or outside the US.

Think of use tax as your state’s equivalent to customs charges.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

8. WhatYourWatchSay Nov 14, 2019

I had heard about that but incorrectly assumed it would only effect American based sellers.

I should have done a search before starting a new thread. I could have joined the bitching over there.

My buyer was none too pleased about this. He believed I would be paying the tax as the seller. He honoured the deal but was not happy about it. I still don't understand if PayPal will be collecting tax on every transaction or if this will only be happening through ebay.

Thanks for this explanation gatorcpa. It helps, but doesn't end the pain!

Edited Nov 14, 2019
  9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 14, 2019

That would never be the case, even if this is a sale within the same state.

As a seller, if this transaction is taxable in your state, it is your responsibility to collect the tax from the buyer and pay it to the state. If the sale is not taxable (i.e., the buyer is in another state), then the payment of tax is always the buyer's responsibility. The eBay User Agreement makes this clear, but it would serve you well to add it to your description in the listing.

The only thing that has changed is that as a result of the Wayfair case, eBay and PayPal have now made agreements with some jurisdictions to collect use tax from buyers in situations where the seller does not have the obligation to collect.

I think states have done a very poor job in explaining the differences between sales and use taxes to their citizens. Most people are of the belief that purchases made from out-of-state are not taxable, and this is simply not true in most places.
    gatorcpa

10. wsfarrell Nov 14, 2019

100% true. eBay will increasingly become a search-only site where people look for out-of-state items and then contact the seller directly, saying (in effect) "I can save tax and you can save eBay fees if you sell to me directly."

11. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 14, 2019

IMO, this has been happening for a while. My purchases for my collection have almost exclusively come from eBay. However, I have almost no additions this year. There really hasn't been a whole lot of good stuff to purchase or bid on, and what few good items do show up are heavily contested.

I think eBay would rather become a retail site (similar to Amazon) rather than an auction site, at least with respect to most collectible items. Fixed price and fixed fee. I can't imagine settling disputes over taxes and fees is a profit generator for them.

Basically, they want us all to go away. At least, that's what I'm seeing.
    gatorcpa

ConElPueblo and WhatYourWatchSay like this.
  12. WhatYourWatchSay Nov 14, 2019

I don't think any collectors miss the old ebay how it was back in 1999 where you took a risk with every purchase and hoped the seller would be honest and not cheat you. But what it's become today isn't great either.

13. 140dave Nov 14, 2019

I will say it has one positive aspect. IF you are audited by the IRS they will look at your PayPal account and go after both income and back sales taxes “owed” for items you have sold. Yes, I have personal experience and the checks to the IRS to prove it. This will actually help (a seller) in this instance.

14. Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 14, 2019

Hi

I think its Ebay doing the collecting not PayPal ......

Good Hunting
    bill

15. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 14, 2019

The IRS does not audit for sales or use tax. Those taxes are administered by your state of residence.

But the idea is correct. That is how the states audit for sales taxes.
    gatorcpa

16. 140dave Nov 14, 2019

But the IRS does charge you income tax for the income received on the sales via eBay/PayPal (The tax was the state portion of the audit, you are correct, I was brief in my statement)

17. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 14, 2019

In a federal income tax examination, if there is an adjustment, the IRS will report that adjustment to your home state for income tax purposes only. Most states give you a set amount of time to amend those returns based on the results of the federal exam without penalty.

I have never heard of a state opening up a sales/use tax audit based on the results of a federal income tax exam.

Now if you have a business and aren't filing sales/use tax forms...:eek:
    gatorcpa

18. watch3s Nov 17, 2019

ebay collects taxes now, i found that out the hard way when i purchased a watch around august

19. Walrus Nov 17, 2019

We can take comfort in the fact the states aren’t doing anything good with the taxes at least

Evitzee likes this.
  20. bgrisso Nov 17, 2019

yes I bought two watches from south america recently and Ebay was very happy to collect my sales tax up front. I assume this is my California use tax :rolleyes: :mad:

WhatYourWatchSay likes this.