Forums Latest Members

Patek 5040 Perpetual Crown Won't Turn Clockwise

1. Marsimaxam Jun 16, 2021

3A412984-1377-4268-A6DE-F2D7742A10C2.jpeg The other day I was hand winding my 5040, something I usually do about once a month as it is far from a regular wear, and the crown, after about 3 clockwise rotations refused to budge. I could rotate the crown counter clockwise freely, but, I could no longer wind the movement. I checked the back and could see the movement working. Yes, I know, it will have to be serviced and it's been a long time since it's last service.

Anyone have an idea what the issue might be... I'm just curious as something like this has never happened on any watch I have ever owned.

Edited Jun 25, 2021
  2. WestCoastTime Jun 16, 2021

PP 5040 uses the 240Q micro-rotor movement, correct? Not certain about the implementation of this particular movement, but many auto-wind mechanisms will use a floating gear or wig-wag system to alternate between auto-winding & manual winding (prevent the manual crown action from trying to spin the auto-wind mechanism, & vice versa). Could be that the wig-wag is stuck in the auto-wind position & can't release to allow for the manual wind action (as one possible explanation).

One way or the other, sounds like the watch needs service.

Marsimaxam likes this.
  3. Marsimaxam Jun 16, 2021

Thank you for your informative reply. I believe I spoke to you yesterday if you are indeed west coast watch service center.
    Yes, I’ll bring it in for service in a few weeks.

4. WestCoastTime Jun 16, 2021

I am in the Seattle area, but it was someone else you were speaking with before. I do watch restoration for fun & relaxation, but I am just a hobbyist. Hope you can get the watch taken care of without too much trouble.

5. Evitzee Jun 16, 2021

It needs professional attention, be prepared to open your wallet for the intervention. Remember, you never really own your 5040, you are just holding it to pass on to someone else in the future.

Marsimaxam likes this.
  6. Marsimaxam Jun 16, 2021

Thank you again. I do know the service will be expensive and it will be awhile before I see the watch

WestCoastTime likes this.
  7. marcn Enough space to say witty Jun 16, 2021

Grand comps go to Geneva, I believe... or does Henri Stern service them in NY? (Last I'd heard, Geneva service is >18months.) Good luck @Marsimaxam !
    Edit: Don't know if that is due to covid delays.

Marsimaxam likes this.
  8. Marsimaxam Jun 17, 2021

Yes, when I asked how long the service will take, the answer was…. “ forever”.

9. Marsimaxam Jun 17, 2021

Maybe I should send my son the bill...