Forums Latest Members

Parts interchange for FOIS Speedmaster

1. photo500 Dec 31, 2017

Well, I thought some of you might possibly be interested in which parts are interchangeable from regular Speedmasters to the FOIS numbered edition to help improve the factory look if that is your thing. BTW the FOIS case middle is not available as a new standalone part from Omega unless you return the original case of your watch to them first.

CK2915 service crown Part No. 069ST42062 - Direct fit. Wider than FOIS item.
    Any Speedmaster pro case back - Direct fit, including the modern pre moon replacement back Part No. 112ST1450012
    Any Speedmaster pro bezel - including the steel bezel from the early 2000's reissue Speedy Part No. 082SS1139
    Any Speedmaster pro hands - obviously, because it's a base Lemania designed and produced 1873 with a couple of Omega engravings aka the Omega 1861.
    Any Speedmaster Pro dial - for the same reasons as above.
    Any Speedmaster Pro movement ring - ( there are only two options for the 861/1861 ) same reasons as above. So it is possible to add a factory display back should you wish to show off the movement.

The pushers are a bit odd and particular to this and I suspect the 60th anniversary case. They do not have a screw to retain the pusher cap, rather a simple (cheap) circlip. I have not had to change any of these yet but from basic measurements it appears other push in type pushers such as those from early real straight lug Speedmasters may fit.

To prevent any ambiguity and hopefully placate whoever has been reporting my threads for self promotion, please don't ask me to source parts or mod your FOIS, instead, please ask your local Omega certified Watch service guy/girl, I'm sure they'd be happy to do it for you.

Anyhow, Enjoy, over and out for 2017 :). Have a great 2018 everyone!

IMG_0262.JPG

Edited Jan 1, 2018
    Indices, M'Bob, gpssti4 and 28 others like this.
  2. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Dec 31, 2017

Adam,

What about the hesalite?

I have a ck2998. I'd get mine swapped at next service if this is a possibility.

Thanks again for the steller job you did on my ploprof.

Indices and photo500 like this.
  3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 31, 2017

The FOIS case is available, but only on an exchange basis since it is a numbered item. Treated the same way as replacing a movement bridge with the serial number on it - sent back for exchange and the same number put on the replacement. Omega clearly doesn't want more than one item out there with the same number on it...that's not good for anyone.

BTW Omega doesn't condone the swapping of parts between models, so I would not assume that an Omega certified watchmaker will do these things for you...doing so may put their parts account at risk.

Cheers, Al

watch3s and fskywalker like this.
  4. photo500 Dec 31, 2017

Hey Al,
    Fairly self evident on both points. Re the second point, that was my sense of humour. My Omega agreement doesn't say anything about modding or changing parts from different models. It does say that a workshop can't be run from home though. Different countries different rules I guess.

marco likes this.
  5. photo500 Dec 31, 2017

Thanks Taddy, glad to have helped! Sure, we can add the hesalite when you're ready. No problem.

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 31, 2017

Just FYI - If you pull up the documents tab on the Extranet, under "policies" and open the customer service policy, you will find information on the modification of Omega products under the heading "Authenticity of Omega Products." It states there that:

"OMEGA maintains the original version of any OMEGA watch for technical reasons and in order to assure the authenticity of the OMEGA watch."

It goes on to say that if you are converting one watch that has a particular movement completely to another watch that uses the same movement, that is allowed. But sticking various parts from one model on another is not included in the mods they allow.

Just something to be aware of - don't want to see anyone have issues with the mother ship...

Cheers, Al

7. photo500 Dec 31, 2017

Well, sure. We are in a transitional phase here at the moment so things may change but for now they're aware of what I'm doing and what I'm ordering and have no problem with it. As far as I'm concerned though, it's the customers watch once they purchase it and if they want to modify it with genuine parts then that's fine with me. In my experience here there are no stories of people being told their watches must be returned to original spec at service time. Thats in stark contrast to Rolex of course who insist on it.

fskywalker and RobertOne like this.
  8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 31, 2017

No worries - not trying to tell you what to do or anything, just pointing out the policy in case you hadn't seen it. I know here it is certainly a point of contention - I have discussed this with Omega a few times, and the last time this conversation happened the issue was flagged by Switzerland, so not driven by the local country manager, and he had "no choice" but to follow up. Nothing came of it since I was following the rules, but certainly the potential is there for problems if someone isn't following them, so just be aware that things may change there.

People here have been told by Omega that their PO bezels, sweep seconds hands, and "non-AC dials" will be removed from their 22545000's when sending them in for service after having these mods done. Of course when they get the quote they don't go through with Omega service, so there's that option, but Omega policies here are pretty firm on this.

Although I share your feelings about an owner being able to do what they want to their own property, the Swiss brands don't seem to take the same view.

9. RobertOne Jan 2, 2018

Apologies for butting in on your speedy thread with a seamaster question, photo500 but I don't want to post a near duplicate and clutter up the forums.

This policy of no swapsies is certainly going to drive me away from going to a boutique or perhaps an authorised dealer.

I am attracted to the planet ocean titanium case (215.90.44.21.99.001) due to the remarkable movement and case lightness but to my taste the looks of the dial and bezel in grey and orange are so garish that if I cannot have them swapped out to blue and gold (215.63.44.21.03.001) I am not going to buy it.

I am not planning to ever sell the watch in question so 'frankenwatch' resale concerns don't bother me in the slightest.

Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong but it seems that I may be best buying from a grey market dealer and then ordering a bezel, dial and hands from an AD, then getting an independent watchmaker to perform the work?

If I cannot order the above then it's I assume a very expensive case of buying two watches and partially cannibalising one?

Any thoughts here or in a p.m. Would be welcome, please.

blubarb likes this.
  10. photo500 Jan 2, 2018

Hi Robert

Hi Robert, the titanium Planet Ocean is a great choice. Lovely watch. The Omega Boutiques have not ever sold actual parts to the best of my knowledge. What they do sell is straps and bracelets, links, clasps etc. Back in the 'old' days you could have perhaps asked Ofrei to order those parts or even Cousins in the UK. Those guys have been cut off from supply now. Your only option is an Omega certified Watchmaker as they have access to parts direct from Omega. However for the reasons Al has outlined in the posts above that is unlikely.

Also servicing will probably be an issue if Omega continue down this path. For us here in Australia it's not an issue at the moment but that will change in time. I believe we are the last region globally to be hauled into line with head office policies.

It might be best to consider one of the recently discontinued models such as the 232.90.42.21.03.00. These are still easy to find brand new. This has a titanium case and bracelet with a blue dial but no gold accents. Or, as you say, buy two watches! Best of luck with it :)

RobertOne and M'Bob like this.
  11. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 2, 2018

I think it might not look right with titanium case, grey dial and Sedna and blue bezel.

A pure black beze would make more sense but your still going to have Stainless next to titanium and they have a different hue.

You will void the warranty though... as Omega will not touch it. Plus your going to have to find the bezel which as outlined above is not easy.

As an owner of a 45.5 POC the weight of Stainless is not bad after you have worn it one or 2 times at length.

If your really concerned about weight the titanium 300mc is a great piece with a comparable movement.

RobertOne likes this.
  12. RobertOne Jan 3, 2018

Thank you for replying,

I really don't mind a splash of sedna gold and blue contrasting with the titanium case and bracelet, but not stainless, one of the selling points of the planet ocean for me is that it lacks any magnetically affected materials.

To clarify, I would swap out the dial, bezel, hands and probably crowns so it would look relatively matched.

Apologies for me being so darn picky!

Thank you for the reply,

I really do want a watch with the co-axial master chronometer movement though, so older models hold no appeal for me.

It's very control freakish that omega cannot simply release unnumbered parts for those of us who wish to tweak as you rightly said, our property, as we see fit.

From apple phones to mechanical watches, the need for jailbreaking is strong! I really might need to buy the 215.63.44.21.03.001 in order to get the parts needed which might be a tremendous waste of a case and the movement, as well as delaying my purchase by a couple of years.

Ideally, after I do buy and strip the sedna gold model I could get an additional bezel, hands, crowns and dial to replace them from an AD or boutique so I will have two functioning watches.

13. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 3, 2018

The 300mc and 2nd Gen Planet Oceans have the same magnetic protections. METAS is more then just the mag stuff. But those watches I believe would still pass Metas if Omega ran them through the process.

It’s a complicated and marketing Why some are Metas and some are not.

14. r32nissan Jan 9, 2018

What about the 60th anniversary bracelet and links. Anyone have success with these on the fois?

15. mrchen Jan 9, 2018

While both watches have 19mm lug widths, I think the difference in case size (38.6 vs. 39.7mm) creates some issues with keeping the end-links flush. Might be interested to see if the bracelet can take 617 endlinks to solve this problem, but I doubt it-- and even then the difference in brushed/polished surfaces would look wacky.

16. padders Oooo subtitles! Jan 10, 2018

It is my understanding that the difference in quoted case size between those is purely due to the bezel design rather than the mid case, the earliest bezel design (as used on the 60th) had a smaller diameter. I would doubt there are any real differences in the lug gap or mid case case profile

Edited Jan 10, 2018
  17. ConElPueblo Jan 10, 2018

This is the first time I've ever seen anyone state the two types of crystals are interchangeable - have you tried this before?

fskywalker and LeonDeBayonne like this.
  18. LeonDeBayonne Jan 10, 2018

Indeed, I have asked several watch repair guys whether I could put an hesalite glass on a FOIS or CK2998 and, for what it is worth, the answer I was given is that it would not be stable.

19. mrchen Feb 27, 2018

Quick follow-up to this thread concerning crystal interchange. It seems Instagram user my.wrist was able to get a hesalite crystal put on his FOIS after having the crystal heavily reshaped. Looks good, but wondering how much this affects water resistence...

https://instagram.com/p/BftBygwB4Gz/

20. Ale8372 Mar 30, 2018