Forums Latest Members
  1. VictorAlpha Jul 8, 2015

This is for anyone that orders parts through either one of the parts suppliers or direct from Omega. A short story with a question. I found that the caseback on my service SM300 had a slight flat spot right on the edge which seemed to create a corresponding uneven surface on the flat area that would compress the case back O ring seal. At first I thought that the watchmaker that assembled it must have carelessly have dropped it on a hard surface floor to create damage like this. Not having any proof I did not say anything but instead ordered a new case back through one of the major suppliers. I duly received it and it sat in its packaging for a few weeks until I decided to fit it to the case.

After unsealing it from its packaging and inspecting it I was horrified to find not only more of the same type of damage but in more than one place. Further the the rim area and the threaded section had divots around the watch that look as if someone had actually hacked at it with a large sharp blade. Exactly what you would expect to see if you went at it with a large knife from the kitchen drawer! I immediately contacted the supply house who at first asked if I would consider keeping it for a substantial discount. Of course I declined for obvious reasons. They then said that they would order a new one and that I should send the damaged one back which I duly did. I also asked them to open the new one to inspect it prior to sending it to me. Unfortunately according to them their supplier (I assume Omega) would not do this prior to shipping so there could be a substantial lag time especially if the latest one is damaged in any way.

Anyway this is not a complaint about the watch supply house at all. They could not have known about the damage as the packaging had definitely not been tampered with and the damaged area was only visible once the item had been removed. What I would like to know is whether anyone else has noticed damage like this on parts fresh from the packaging and supposedly straight from Omega themselves. This honestly does not look like a manufacturing defect it or even careless handling. It appears that a conscious effort to damage the item and to find similar damage but to a lesser extent on my existing case back almost seems like too much of a coincidence.

(Sorry about the huge pics I didn't realise they'd come out like that)

IMG_0392.jpg IMG_0393.jpg IMG_0395.jpg IMG_0399.jpg IMG_0400.jpg
  2. Geo! Jul 8, 2015

I'd be severely pissed off if I was supplied a new part in that condition........it's shocking!

blubarb likes this.
  3. VictorAlpha Jul 8, 2015

Thanks for the reply. I accept that stuff can happen so of course the acid test is always whether it can be put right. I feel for the supplier being caught in the middle as well with a special order item. I'm just bemused that two of the same items purchased a couple of years apart can have damage that seems to have been afflicted as opposed to a systemic manufacturing fault. just wondering if any of the watchmakers have come across this routinely.

In the pics the damage does not appear as bad as it does in the metal. I would not even attempt to fit this to a case for fear of damaging the threads on the case.

4. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Jul 8, 2015

Pretty disappointing to get a part in that condition. Perhaps a disgruntled worker somewhere along the line? Doesn't look like a manufacturing defect, although automated production can do some strange things if it gets off kilter.

Even more shocking to me is the orange background in your photos. :eek:

5. VictorAlpha Jul 8, 2015

Lol. It is rather shocking isn't it. Sorry about that, its a microfiber dusting cloth that I use to rest watch parts on since it doesn't scratch and catches any little bouncy things. The orange helps visibility too, although it might be a bit much for photos.

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 9, 2015

If you buy new parts often, prepared to be "severely pissed off" from time to time...you will live longer if you don't let it bother you so much though. ;)

Yes, just like with anything else in life, parts show up damaged, rusted, etc. from time to time. I ordered some 55X barrel arbors not long ago and they were all rusted, so they went back and new arbors were sent out - fortunately I didn't even have to open the package to see this as they are visible through the packaging, but not all parts are. I have sent dials back also - I admit I've not seen this kind of damage on a case back before.

Omega is usually pretty good at correcting things, however since the you went through a material supplier, you now are relying on the willingness of 2 parties to work to correct the problem. Hopefully it gets replaced without any drama.

Cheers, Al

blubarb and VictorAlpha like this.
  7. Geo! Jul 9, 2015

I'll bear in mind what you said Al, I want to live a lot longer :)

8. VictorAlpha Jul 10, 2015

Thanks Al, they seem to be working with me on it so that is re-assuring. I do hope that the replacement is free of issues considering there is quite a long ordering wait.