Forums Latest Members

Overseas Shipment Lost - Advice

1. CoDiffe Apr 21, 2021

Hello OF,

Figured I would post and ask if anyone else has run into an issue with an overseas shipment going MIA with the USPS. We are running up on almost 2 months. Package was supposed to go from USA to UK. Somehow it ended up in Japan for a couple of weeks?! The last status update was from a few weeks ago saying it had departed Japan.

After the buyer informed me of this I went to the post office to see what was going on and the lady there looked it up and said it must have just gone there by mistake and it should be en route to the U.K. now. Well - that was over 2 weeks ago. I went to the post office again and they informed me they would have to have the postmaster look into it. A couple of hours later, the post master called me to tell me it was en route to New Zealand?? I told him something was very wrong because this package was supposed to go to the U.K. and is somehow making a world wide tour across the globe. He seemed just as confused as I was and said he would have to reach out to consumer affairs and had tried to contact them earlier in the day and had sat on hold for almost an hour and a half. His plan was to try again and then contact me once he talks to them.

My question is has anyone else on this forum run into a similar issue? Any advice? Are the buyer and I just out of luck?

Also what's protocol for buyer/seller on this forum if this package is completely lost? I am glad this wasn't an extremely valuable watch but it did have 2 aftermarket inserts that are worth about $500. Insurance was not purchased and it was sent Priority International Mail.

Any advice would be greatly welcomed.

2. BenBagbag Apr 21, 2021

Once something goes erratic its erratic until you get it. At least they have eyes on it. I'd bet on you getting it... Eventually...

Good luck!

smitty190373, CoDiffe and JwRosenthal like this.
  3. Dan S Apr 21, 2021

In my experience, these packages almost always show up eventually, although it can sometimes take a very long time. Unless there was an agreement in advance about this, my assumption would be that the seller is responsible for delivering the goods.

4. Evitzee Apr 21, 2021

You don't have much leverage, I'm afraid. You'll just have to wait out and see if it surfaces and gets delivered to the UK buyer. If it's lost you are out of luck with no insurance.

5. duc Apr 21, 2021

I had a package shipped from Maine to Croatia go to Chicago, then down to Kansas, then to Europe. It was 3+ months before it arrived. In the meantime, I sent a second parcel to the same location. It arrived just before the first. This was last summer, so COVID problems were still new.

COVID is still affecting shipping. Even within the US almost every parcel I ship or receive is late and in some cases, sent to the wrong PO before they redirect it. In one case, I sent an insured parcel ($3000). It arrived and was picked up by the recipient at the PO, but they never cleared in in their system. I believe I could (at this point) make a claim if I were so inclined, since they have no way of figuring out it was already delivered.

So, to answer your question, Problems are occurring. The international nature of yours makes it more nerve wracking. If you haven't done a formal request for clearing it up (on line) yet, I would do so. At least it will get another level of interest generated (although every time I have done so, the situation solved itself as the people at USPS fumbled around with various excuses).

I've given the whole "who is responsible" question a lot of thought. In a sale, the person responsible is whoever the participants agree is. If it isn't ironed out before the sale, in my opinion, the seller is. For that reason, I always factor in the cost of full insurance on everything I sell. If it gets lost along the way, I claim the money from the USPS and refund to the buyer. Luckily, I haven't had to do that.

Zapatta and JwRosenthal like this.
  6. JwRosenthal Apr 21, 2021

This is still the MO for USPS, they have actually gotten worse in the last 3 months- to the point where I hesitate using them at all. I am waiting on packages from 4/1-4/5 that are domestic and has sat in purgatory for weeks.
    I sent a letter envelope to a fellow member in Canada and he didn’t get it 2 months later. I sent another and he got that 2 months later....then the first one showed up another 2 months later- 6 fucking months for a letter from Baltimore to Alberta!! I could have walked it there and back.
    As has been said, it will get there- eventually, and the buyer just needs to be patient. It is the nature of things right now- nothing we can do about it. No amount of calling will help- we just need to wait.

watchyouwant, Mark020, duc and 4 others like this.
  7. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Apr 21, 2021

I’ve always assumed that if I say “nope, I’d rather save money on shipping, please send it uninsured”, then as the buyer I am out of luck if it goes missing and never arrives. It’s a bit of a case by case basis though I suppose.

I’ve never shipped anything over $250, but if I did I might insist on it going insured - this from someone who doesn’t sell a lot of high ticket items. I don’t know the percentages, but most packages eventually arrive, and those that buy and sell a lot likely play the odds and don’t insure the smaller items?

CoDiffe likes this.
  8. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 21, 2021

Had the same with a parcel from the US to Australia once and it arrived after 10 weeks of globetrotting. Sounds the same as it went from US to Japan. Was only a few months ago. It’s not lost until they stop being able to track it :thumbsup:

Dan S, JwRosenthal and CoDiffe like this.
  9. lillatroll Apr 22, 2021

It all seems a bit random. I ordered a watch from a small watch company in Indonesia and had the watch posted to the UK. Arrived in less than 10 days.

10. agee Apr 22, 2021

I have had good success sending packages internationally from the US using USPS Registered Mail. Hope your situation gets sorted out.

11. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Apr 22, 2021

Stay with it .. it will turn up. I had bracelet links go missing between Royal Mail and USPS for nearly three months.

12. JwRosenthal Apr 22, 2021

This is the problem- totally random. Sent two watches to members on the same day with USPS, one to UK and the other to CA. UK got it in 5 days, CA was 3 weeks!

lillatroll likes this.
  13. JwRosenthal Apr 22, 2021

And I want to be positive here- this is all very temporary. Prior to covid and the collective disaster of 2020, I was a huge fan of USPS, packages from coast to coast arrived in 2 days, int’l in under a week- always on time, always easily trackable.
    They have gotten slammed from all sides (volume and bad management) this last year and can’t come up for air yet. Let’s hope they get the funding and staff they need in the next year to get back to being efficient and reliable.

watchyouwant likes this.
  14. CoDiffe Apr 22, 2021

I really appreciate all the input and information. This gives me a lot of hope that the package should still get there eventually.

USPS tacking updates are horrible. I don’t remember this bad before COVID.

JwRosenthal likes this.
  15. Observer I know nothing! Apr 22, 2021

People have been making fun of the inefficiency at USPS for my entire life. It used to be where you went for a passport, but now the county offices do it weeks faster. The only thing they do well is fill my mailbox full of spam faster than yahoo or gmail. I’ll be shocked if they get their act together.

vintage hab, Evitzee and duc like this.
  16. Alfy Forluck Apr 23, 2021

I currently have one lost en route from Kiev to Toronto. Can see it all the way to Canadian customs. Then pfft! It is very annoying at the moment.

I think if you can see it, you are likely fine.

17. kkt Apr 23, 2021

It will probably show up eventually.

Don't put total faith in the tracking scans. They are not scanning your individual package for most of them except at the origin and destination. Someone packs your package in a bag which is then put in a truck, plane, ship, etc., and then the scans of the truck are applied to every package that's supposed to be in it. But if your package is accidentally recorded as being in the wrong bag, you'll get the scans for that wrong bag, possibly for weeks, as it goes wherever it goes. Eventually your package will be found and it'll go into somebody's "weird packages" bin and scan it and you'll start getting correct scans again.

marco likes this.
  18. JetLinks Apr 23, 2021

I purchased a vintage clasp from Lithuania back in October as a gift, then nothing.... after a bit of searching and complaints, still nothing. Oh well, I gave up and forgot about, then BAM, it shows up a couple of weeks ago. Give it a chance (i.e. 12 months) before you completely give up.

19. pongster Apr 24, 2021

Maybe it’s not lost. Probably due to covid, there are not much US to UK flights. Hence the circuitous route. Post Office shipments fly with passenger traffic i believe. Not like FedEx, DHL or UPS which have dedicated cargo planes.

20. Huus Apr 25, 2021

I send a parcel (returned item) from Australia to Spain in April 2020. Nothing for 10 months and it showed up again. Back on my doorstep.