Forums Latest Members
  1. repoman Dec 25, 2014

So, I got the call from Danielle yesterday "John, the Grey Side of the Moon just got here, its incredible, you need to come down and have a look". Danielle at the San Diego boutique, lets just say this image sums it up:

[​IMG]

Shortly after that call, @Taddyangle @Omegawd, Mrs Repo, my buddy George and I make our way to the boutique. After an enjoyable lunch, and some forum inspired enabling (I tempted Taddy with my Speedyorite and 45th anniversary Apollo XI; and he did likewise with his Panda), we entered the boutique. I suggested a plan that involved some of them creating a diversion while I did a snatch and run, but I couldn't get a consensus going on that.

[​IMG]

Nick at the boutique sat us down, and the drooling began. This watch, in person with your own eyes, is absolutely off the charts. You've already read accounts from @Superdoc, and @DLT222, and you've seen the pictures... but its true, the pictures only tell half (at most) of the story. The color, the finish, the presence this piece has, the way it looks on the wrist, the way it wears, the process used to create it, the movement, the platinum dial, the superluminova bezel and crown, the gold hands and dial marks.... everything. O M F G !!!!! Now, the one they had was sent directly from Switzerland, cleared customs the day prior, and is only going to be in the boutique until noon on the 26th (not that there's any pressure mind you). After that it goes to where a deposit has already been placed up the road a bit. Obligitory shots:

Here with my 45th, and '67 Speedy (nice little trio I think):
    GreySideAndFriends.jpg

On George's wrist:
    GreySideOnWrist.jpg

So right about this time, as Nick is still going through the reams of amazing details on this watch, his voice drifting off in the background as I'm being hypnotized by the Grey Side... I catch a glimpse of @Omegawd , and he has a very serious look in his eyes. I ask if he's thinking about it, and he says that he is. I offer to step aside if he wants first dibs. The fact is, I walked in telling myself there is no way I'm going to buy this watch today, I've gone too crazy in 2014, I just bought Mrs Repo a Ladymatic that was sitting under the tree and that was after I had already exceeded my "beyond insanity" budget limit. I saw this as a graceful way out of digging the hole even deeper.

Next, we start talking about flipping (something I've not considered before); I mention I have a Rolex Exp II, and two Tintin's and my mental arithmetic starts looking like: Exp II + Tintin + $$ = Grey Side. Oh man, that's looking good to me right now! Doesn't help that my friends agree with the logic. Now Nick jumps back in "you know we can do 18 months no interest if that helps?"... yeah, like free crack "helps" an addict, thanks Nick.

Somehow, I managed to walk outside to get some fresh air and clear my head, and without the Grey Side on my wrist. Nick agreed to keep the piece in San Diego until noon the day after Christmas. I've gone back and forth at least 10 times today on this. "I don't need it", "I can flip some pieces to take the sting off", "18 months no interest is free money" "I never finance luxury items, if I can't pay cash, I don't get it", "I can buy it, I have the money, but then Mrs Repo doesn't get her kitchen upgrade" ,"flip the watches first, make sure there's no surprises at tax time, then grab the next Grey Side that comes in a few months from now", "why wait, you want it, enjoy it now, it gets paid for the same in the end"... The rest of the day today will be interesting. Tomorrow morning is decision time.

@Taddyangle , @Omegawd, that was fun, next time we're going to have a limo ride down and back, just because!

Merry Christmas Everyone!

gttime and Omegawd like this.
  2. SeanO Dec 25, 2014

.. just need a shot to tide me over.....

it sounds like a great day at the boutique. You did well to get out of the place with only an elevated heart rate.

repoman likes this.
  3. Superdoc Dec 25, 2014

image.jpg image.jpg

Danielle at the San Diego Boutique!!!
    Tell her R.J. And Michelle say hi!!!

Definitely go back for a second look...

See if you can take it out into the sunlight...

I May help you out with the tintin if need be...

Edited Dec 25, 2014
    gttime and repoman like this.
  4. omegagmt Dec 25, 2014

I don't want to be a bad influence, so I'll keep it short and simple. Just get it. Life is too short for regrets. You can always make it up.

repoman and oddboy like this.
  5. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Dec 25, 2014

That's how my inner debates usually end.... ;)

repoman likes this.
  6. logan2z Dec 25, 2014

If you can afford it then go for it. It looks absolutely stunning in photos. I can only imagine what it looks like in the flesh. Superdoc needs to stop posting those photos or many of us are going to be a lot poorer.

repoman likes this.
  7. repoman Dec 26, 2014

Heading back for a second look in the morning. I'll let y'all know, good chance I'm going to throw caution to the wind and do it. @Omegawd feels equally drawn to the piece. We may have to play best 2 out of 3 roshambo to see who gets this one, and who goes on the wait-list for the next one. Of course, we have already had rampant speculation on how long that may be. Omega are masters at creating demand and excitement by strategically throttling availability.

@Superdoc , I will definitely pass along your salutations to Danielle, she is out for a couple more days, visiting family in Northern California for the holidays. We all adore her down here, she is such a fun person to be around.

8. iLuveketchup Dec 26, 2014

repoman, is your Rolex Explorer II a ref. 16570 black? I am looking for one, especially with the 3186 movt.

Edited Dec 26, 2014
  9. repoman Dec 26, 2014

Mine is a 16570 Polar. Cmon, everyone knows the white is better than the black! :D :p

Superdoc likes this.
  10. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 26, 2014

Yes i was very sceptical on this piece and it was one i had to see first hand, even the pics posted by Superdoc didn't really do it justice. This is a watch you really have to see in person to appreciate the case, dial and strap combo, on first seeing it it blew me away and now many people are saying its better than the Darkside for looks. Ive owned 2 DSOTM and i have to say i completely agree, it smashes the DS and is nothing short of stunning!

Don't waste time - if you see one buy it as if you don't someone else will.

11. Superdoc Dec 26, 2014

@repoman, love the new Avatar...But I think that if you give in to temptation, the consequences will not be as severe...

I few notes before heading out this morning , not to be overly enabling, but...some "informed Consent" always helps...

#1. I think that part of the limited supply is strategic marketing, but part of it is also just reflective of the fact that it is actually just much harder to mass produce these than it is for the steel, or even gold counterparts....the ceramic actually has to be baked...and the result is not always as homogenous as you'd like....so production is more limited by physics...

#2. The $12 MSRP will be very short lived... Omega is honoring the price they initially introduced at Basel...but that price was based on the prototype...which had some technical problems, mostly with the dial and its effect on the movement and function...something I didn't fully grasp, but will probe for more detail....in any case, there was a solution...MORE PLATINUM!!! -- so the next run of Greyside will probably be priced ~ $400-$500 more..

#3. Don't count on the 'Grey Market' -- this will likely be a Boutique exclusive for the 1st year...
    #4. Even when it does come to the 'AD's... there have been changes at Omega - Now only one president of Retail in US...
    (previously a wholesale and boutique division)...an effort to really police and limit the discounting...

of course all heresay ...

but I got my info from a pretty reliable source ....

DSC00896.JPG

repoman likes this.
  12. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Dec 26, 2014

@Superdoc - mine confirmed for feb at my local AD in the UK. They are doing exactly what they did with the DS and making it slow supply, good in a way but now look at the price of the DS which are obtainable now at $8k NEW!

13. repoman Dec 26, 2014

Incoming.......... But with a twist, details to come later.

14. DJP Dec 26, 2014

You are such a tease!

15. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Dec 26, 2014

I am now seeing pictures of the watch on the text string from our visit on the 24th. Do share, I do not have names in my address book, so I do not know who is the lucky fellow wearing it.

16. Omegawd Dec 26, 2014

Behold, the likely 1st Grey Side landing in California! Thanks to my peer enablers @repoman and @Taddyangle, and a couple of days of contemplation, I have showered myself in lunar dust.
    Photo Dec 26, 1 14 57 PM.jpg
    @repoman and I made the follow-up visit today to make the final decision. Both of us had eyes on the GSOTM, but I have also had a little fancy for the DSOTM, so wanted to see them side-by-side. Both are virtuous, but the GS spoke a little more loudly to me with its very luminous super-luminova highlights. Alas, there was but just one to vie for between our wrists. So, after a few rounds with @repoman of roshambo, coin flipping, cutting cards, tiddlywinks, and arm wrestling, it was decided that I would be the blessed recipient for this day and repoman would land the next one....which sounds to be arriving relatively soon!

gttime, KstateSkier, dsio and 2 others like this.
  17. omegagmt Dec 26, 2014

Congrats Omegawd! That dial is amazing.

Omegawd likes this.
  18. SeanO Dec 26, 2014

that's a sweet bit of kit.

the "aged" leather strap is a pretty good look as well.

Omegawd likes this.
  19. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Dec 26, 2014

Very nice! One day, maybe.

Omegawd likes this.
  20. logan2z Dec 26, 2014

Really beautiful, Congrats. They're making us wait here in NorCal. Nobody has one yet.

Omegawd likes this.