Forums Latest Members
  1. Event horizon faux seller of watches and complete knobhead Jun 23, 2015

I've seen talk of this watch on other forums and although it's yet another re issue of a classic diver this has certainly caught my eye. I like the fact that that instead of growing to dinner plate dimensions it is a 40mm watch and the domed sapphire crystal is really domed. I'm guessing the 12,3,6 and 9 numerals will put people off but I think it adds to the charm. The price point is pretty good as well. Now I could say I'm considering it but a recent purchase of a sm300 mc means they would be very similar choices.
    What are your thoughts of yet another re issue heritage diver?
    [​IMG]

2. lenny Jun 23, 2015

As I recall, there were a number of sports (skin diver?) watches in the late 60s that looked pretty similar. And most of them are pretty undesirable (read as cheap)...so I'm not quite sure where the appeal would be here.

3. Event horizon faux seller of watches and complete knobhead Jun 23, 2015

I'm assuming all the dive watches in the sixties were a lot more financially obtainable than the present day luxury market it has grown into today. I'm more interested in people's thoughts on the looks and design of the watch. I'm tipping the first sm300 from 1957 didn't carry the the same comparable price tag of the re issue due to being a true tool watch rather than the luxury non essential item the modern one is today.
    Seiko is probably the only exception here today making the skx009 that looks similar to its original dive watch.

4. SeanO Jun 23, 2015

I think it's a sympathetic re-do. the 40mm size is right. It all depends on the price. I like it

5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 24, 2015

It's nice that the case is not huge like many of their more recent divers have been. They also don't appear to have put some oddball strap system that eliminates aftermarket strap options, again like many of the recent watches have had. So it has a few things going for it.

I like this style, but Oris as a brand has turned me off a bit. They used to sell spare parts to independent watchmakers, but stopped doing that a few years ago...you will be stuck with Oris for service with these, and I've not heard great things about the current service center...

6. Flingit1200s Jun 24, 2015

I noticed the weird strap on others............Oris service only........I'll pass.

7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 24, 2015

I still service the odd one here and there (working on a BC3 right now actually), but far less than I used to. If it's just a movement service that's needed, then it's not a problem for me to service since they use mostly off the shelf (or lightly modified) ETA and Sellita movements. But if you need a new dial, hands, crown, bezel, etc. then you are stuck with the brand for service. Eventually all watches need something like this, so it's only a matter of time until you will have to take it to them for a new crown or something.

Cheers, Al

8. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jun 24, 2015

As Al said watchmaker in Sydney won't deal with them anymore due to hardest on service parts. Sold all he's stock once they stopped parts. Even gets them in when he buys collections and dumps them cheap as he won't deal with them

*** NOTICE to all customers

As of today, July 29, 2014 I will no longer buy, sell, repair, deal in or value ORIS watches.

The decision is purely a reflection of the fact that ORIS has specifically and clearly stated that I will not be able to count on their support for servicing of ORIS watches nor I be able to obtain any spare parts in the future.

Under circumstances, I no longer believe that ORIS watches are well suited to match the expectation of our customers and serious watch collectors.

The current stock of ORIS watches will be CLEARED as soon as possible.
    I have reduced prices to ‘at cost’ or ‘below the cost’ level.

9. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 24, 2015

I can see why Nick gets pissed off. And I suppose it's his way of saying to the monopolists "GAGF".

I'd pass on Oris too for that reason.

STANDY likes this.
  10. Flingit1200s Jun 24, 2015

Maybe this should be a new thread as I wonder what other brands have this policy............

Prange likes this.
  11. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jun 24, 2015

Funny as fark when below happened after the clearance.

*** I wish I’ve made this up too:

“Hi

I have a request regarding the Oris I purchased. Once the watch arrived I realized I actually didn't like it so I put it on ebay for more than I paid for it due to the ridiculous 10% commission they charge plus of course paypal.

Now the waters are muddied because when a prospective buyer researches they come across your site and the sale price.

My request is that you remove it from the Web please.
    Greg B.”

Dear Greg –

Welcome to exciting world of wheelers-dealers. No rules here – except for two: transparency is a bitch and competition sucks. Which means you cannot clear the waters by adding more mud.

By the way, have you actually thought of re-wording your listing to something like this:
    “I’ve bought it cheap, and I am happy to take 10% hit because I don’t like it”.
    Sometimes, telling the truth is the best way to close a deal.

Have fun,

:D

lenny likes this.
  12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 24, 2015

A shorter list (much shorter) would be the brands that DON'T have this policy...

Prange, Flingit1200s and STANDY like this.
  13. aralph Jun 27, 2015

What's the thickness? My issue with most divers is they quickly become door bangers due to the thickness. Anything over 12mm is too thick to be practical.

14. Event horizon faux seller of watches and complete knobhead Jun 27, 2015

This is quite a thin watch and the sapphire has a nice bubble on it like a plexi, but as others have stated the parts situation isn't the best. It's a shame because it's a nice slim watch that looks very very nice.