Forums Latest Members
  1. CLA05 May 28, 2022

Hi kind people!
    I have a question for the experts please and thank you…
    I believe this to be an original and correct dial, from the font and text below the 6 but anyone have differing opinions?
    the dial actually seems kind of faded white but I’m used to only seeing silver ones.
    Thank you very, very much in advance.
    1D6EF84C-B965-4CD8-B14B-35ED0FDEFC6F.jpeg A1BFCCEF-68EE-4416-99D2-CEA685FA44B3.jpeg

2. Barking mad Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder May 29, 2022

3. CLA05 May 29, 2022

Cool, thank you good read :)

4. marmaladelion Jun 7, 2022

The "Lord Marvel" text looks abit thin, although that could be due to the image quality as well. Everything else checks out!

5. sleepyastronaut Jun 7, 2022

Hard to tell from these pixelated photos.

Compare to this detail photo from http://antiquewatchat.blogspot.com/2015/05/seiko-lord-marvel-36000-hi-beat-5740_30.html?m=1

DSC00504.JPG

I'm not an expert with this particular reference, it's possible there are some that are correct with pointy A's in the 6-o'clock / Japan, but I only collect the tophat A's.

You want to look for the following:
    - sunburst finish to dial, this is difficult too replicate
    - correct font and font weight to dial text, redialers often go too heavy-handed, and pad-printed redials often have an incorrect font/font size
    - fine, detailed Suwa logo; crisp hole in the center, segments end in a fine point where they converge
    - applied metal Seiko logo is undamaged; these often get crushed when removed/replaced
    - honest patina to the dial; these are almost always damaged in some way, at least slightly, from the humidity. I'm highly suspect when there's no patina at all. Look for minor corrosion peeking through at the outer edge of the dial, and/or from the holes under the dial hardware
    - bevels on the case/lugs are crisp, match side to side, and top to bottom. I've seen many Seikos from this era where the case has been ground down, the brushing has been redone, and the listing states 'unpolished.' It's difficult for the eBay/reddit refinishers to get the case to match up on all lugs.

Edited Jun 7, 2022
  6. CLA05 Jun 9, 2022

Awesome thanks so much for the detailed reply!
    its off the “the seikologist” today for an overhaul so he’ll confirm for me but I think it’s probably good.
    Thanks everyone