Forums Latest Members
  1. Gene N Oct 23, 2019

I am one of them sticklers for an original presentation box, papers etc. especially when buying or selling, so what happens to all the original box papers?

2. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Oct 23, 2019

I hear you...I derive a boat load of entertainment value regarding original box & papers. :thumbsup:

With reference to your question, I believe many original box & papers are simply discarded and/or lost over time by owners.

Pun and Larry S like this.
  3. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Oct 23, 2019

I once kept the receipt for a pair of socks that had a lifetime warranty. Years later I found the receipt, but had no idea what socks it belonged to.

What? Sorry, I thought I was still on the sock forum. Anyway, growing up I don’t recall knowing anyone who collected anything with any seriousness. Non-collectors just don’t see the value I guess. I remember another pair of socks that...

jeppehh, Mad Dog, Vitezi and 2 others like this.
  4. Gene N Oct 23, 2019

I know what your saying. I was lucky and had an aunt that collected barbie dolls and clothes, the boxes were worth more the the items in them. My attic is stocked well with boxes to items of high value, in plastic of course.

DaveK likes this.
  5. Evitzee Oct 23, 2019

I always keep all of my boxes and paperwork, it just adds to the pleasure of ownership. I'll occasionally go through them, you forget about what was included in the purchase.

Mad Dog and Gene N like this.
  6. Jim W Oct 24, 2019

I always like to get the original box and papers whenever possible. But it’s quite rare for them to come with a vintage watch. I guess people didn’t bother to hang on to them like we do nowadays. Or more likely, these items just get lost with several owners over the years.

7. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Oct 24, 2019

For my first brand new Speedmaster, bought in 1994, I left the box in the shop and walked out with the chronograph on my wrist... proud 1st Lt !

8. BradleyJ. Oct 24, 2019

I save boxes for anything I buy but in most cases it's because its electronics and if I have an issue and need to return it I'm covered. As soon as I know the product isnt going to have issues and be returned, or worth returning, I discard the box. This usually takes up to a year. I found the same thing with watch boxes. I have some elaborate shelves in my basement with sealed bins and one bin has probably 4 omega boxes in it alone with one being my speedys suitcase. I wear, not collect, so now I'm starting to think I'm losing a whole bin/s of storage for something I'll never need.

The life of an OCD minimalist is though ;)

9. Sublime_1 Oct 24, 2019

I know it's a knee-jerk reaction but without box & papers with a modern luxury piece I can't help but wonder if it has been stolen. I don't understand why anyone would throw away this stuff and I'm not buying the I've lost it excuse...especially the box, it's not like it is a pair of socks ;)

10. jolyon Oct 24, 2019

I guess people kid themselves into believing they will never sell it anyway, so no need to keep the papers.. it never really works out that way though

11. Gasman Oct 24, 2019

I think the box and papers are only valued by people like us who have this weird obsession with watches. Normal people just wear the watch and discard the rest.

12. jsducote Oct 24, 2019

I see a lot of b&p offered for sale that look like they've been run over by the family sedan. If a box, that usually sits idly on a shelf or dresser, has gone through that much wear & tear, do I even want to know what the watch has been through?

13. DeepBlue Oct 24, 2019

most people just throw them away. Like i throw away boxes of all other product i buy, except watches.

14. whyboddau Oct 24, 2019

Not necessarily. I would think most vintage boxes were left in attics or basements or garages. Humidity, mold, mildew etc takes its toll on cardboard. Today’s collector would probably keep boxes in closets and such but old boxes were probably never prized. Which makes them more rare.

15. Martin_F Oct 25, 2019

Sales rep at an AD told me yesterday she had to replace a Moonwatch box for a customer as it was delivered damaged. Cost her $750.
    Before throwing your boxes away, consider selling them so someone who is regretting trowing their own box away!

16. BradleyJ. Oct 25, 2019

I would have said, take 750 off the price and I'll take the damaged box lol.

17. Martin_F Oct 25, 2019

No kidding! Not sure if that was an option though...

18. jsducote Oct 25, 2019

If it were a vintage box, sure. But I've seen listings for less than 20 year old watches with jacked-up boxes.