Forums Latest Members

Opinions please: brush the case on a new SM300 Heritage?

1. Myron Mar 17, 2022

Hello all,

My new Heritage "lollipop" SM300 finally showed up at my AD. I had them send the bracelet off to an Omega-certified service center to brush the bracelet. The bracelet looks amazing, but now I'm wondering if I should also have them brush the tops of the lugs. Although I'd love the look of an all-brushed SM300, somehow brushing the case seems a bit different than altering the bracelet.

I plan on "keeping the watch forever," but we all know how that goes. Since the work is being done at an Omega service center warranty isn't affected.

I've attached a couple pictures of the watch as it stands now, with fully brushed bracelet and intact/polished case elements. Would love your opinions. Thanks,

Myron

Screen Shot 2022-03-17 at 3.36.14 PM.png Screen Shot 2022-03-17 at 3.35.53 PM.png

Fallout Boy, chrisb732 and aphexafx like this.
  2. aphexafx Mar 17, 2022

I think that looks sweet, personally. That's a vintage styled watch in the first place, so even though that's the original bracelet, being brushed opposed to the case makes it look like a well matched but not quite original mating for an old watch. Most people probably won't agree! I like things to be aesthetically askew, and to me what you have stands out and looks great because it's plausible. If I wanted to tie it in just a little bit more, I would probably re-polish just the small center-link portions of the end links which are butted up to the case. I think that would look awesome.

I would leave the case original because, again, the polished surfaces speak to it's more vintage style.

To each their own. :thumbsup:

Myron and Faz like this.
  3. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Mar 17, 2022

Deep down you know the answer and have already stated it for yourself.

That says 'I should have left it well alone'. Whats done can't be undone unfortunately (edit: so by that logic - leave the case alone. Bracelet can be replaced but case not so cheaply or easily).

Edited Mar 17, 2022
    Duracuir1, Faz and meglos like this.
  4. meglos Mar 17, 2022

x 2 My thoughts exactly about visually tying the end links that butt up to the case together by having them polished smooth. Also agree that I wouldn't alter the case of the watch itself by getting rid of the smooth polish and going brushed instead. Modifying a bracelet is one thing, it can be replaced but going all the way by changing the finish of the watch can't be undone.

I know you say it's a forever watch but imagine how you would feel if 30 years from now someone says, "It would be worth $X (big number here) but because someone brush polished the case it's worth half of that now. Admit it, you'd die a little in side. We all would.

sleepyastronaut likes this.
  5. Myron Mar 17, 2022

Hey thanks guys. This is pretty much what my gut is telling me too. Brushing the bracelet is one thing, but altering the original factory case is another. I think I'll stick with brushed bracelet and leave the case alone.

Still interested in what others think, so if anyone else has an opinion I'd love to hear it!

Thanks again,

Myron

meglos likes this.
  6. sleepyastronaut Mar 17, 2022

IMHO, if the modern watch guys would read more of the vintage forum threads, they would see the present day outcome of poor decisions made decades ago, and wouldn't have to ask these types of questions about modifications in the first place.

Rudi99, eugeneandresson and STANDY like this.
  7. Evitzee Mar 17, 2022

Wear it for six months to a year and revisit your feelings at that time. There is no need to rush in and brush the lugs at this point.

8. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 17, 2022

::censored::ck with a bracelet all you want..

Never fu::censored:: with a watch case..

9. Myron Mar 17, 2022

Thanks for your "humble" opinion.

size11s likes this.
  10. Myron Mar 17, 2022

Exactly what I was thinking. Thank you.

11. size11s Can’t bat, can’t bowl Mar 18, 2022

A couple of decades or so of ownership and the lugs will dull down naturally :whistling:. You have an SM300 dilemma now Myron, when you open the watch box do you reach for vintage or modern? Speaking of which is the vintage back from abroad yet?

12. Myron Mar 18, 2022

Thanks, @size11s! Yes, it's going to be a fun summer with a few different Seamasters vying for my attention. The new watch arrives tomorrow, fingers crossed, and my 165024 should be done any day now too. I sent it to a great watchmaker in California, so not too too far away. :) I'm also slowly working on my own Watchco-style 165.0024 build. So I will be spoiled for choice.

By the way I agree completely about letting time and use brush the lugs on the new watch for me. I hadn't posted for a while, so I just thought it would be a fun thing to ask the forum about in case I was missing something. I will definitely be experimenting with this new watch on a leather strap too -- best not to ask about how people feel about that lest I whack another "poor decisions" hornet's nest!

Thanks for your reply. Cheers,

Myron

size11s and aphexafx like this.
  13. YY77 Mar 18, 2022

Leather strap is a great decision:

IMG_1450.JPG
    sonicosa, meglos, TimeODanaos and 2 others like this.
  14. size11s Can’t bat, can’t bowl Mar 18, 2022

Very much looking forward to seeing the results with your fabulous 165024. Good luck negotiating the quagmire of finding the parts for your WatchCo style build.

The three watches will be an interesting comparison over time as to which you feel to bond with most. I can imagine that the restoration/conservation of the 165024 (not to mention the buying experience) and the search and build of the WatchCo could form a major part of enhanced bonding with the watches as opposed to the purchase from new.

I think that Heritage SM300 looks really well on the right leather strap.

15. Myron Mar 18, 2022

Gorgeous @YY77!

Thanks @size11s. A big part of the fun for me is finding or making just the right strap combo for a watch. I have two watches that I wear on bracelet, but I wear everything else on a leather strap. One thing I really like about modern Omegas is that you can go either way with them. :)

size11s and YY77 like this.
  16. G4_Chrono Mar 18, 2022

@Myron Do it! You've already started, just leave the angular chamfer polished.

17. Faz Mar 18, 2022

Leave it it it’s original state.

18. meglos Mar 18, 2022

Wow, the leather strap goes great with the black dial. I recently went the opposite way, steel bracelet with a blue dial. They did have a black dial with leather strap in the store at the same time but not a black dial with a steel bracelet. I'm new to buying watches in this price range but I feel like they don't a lower the price enough to make it "worth" it when they substitute leather band for steel bracelet. I figured it was easier to buy with the bracelet and then do a band later if the mood struck me. Feels like I'm getting more for my money that way. Am I thinking about it wrong here?

19. YY77 Mar 18, 2022

Yes, bracelet is the way to go when purchasing, I don't like the OEM straps (too conservative) and get all my straps from Aaron Bespoke. The one in the picture is Ostrich. On my Speedy I got a grey Alcantara which would never have been possible via Omega, likewise for the Zenith;

IMG_20190914_140209.jpg IMG_20220311_103633__exported_1160_1646991441855.jpg

Moadib likes this.
  20. Myron Mar 18, 2022

@G4_Chrono, at last a yes vote! Thanks buddy. :)

@Faz, thank you friend; I think I will be leaving it for now and seeing how it looks in a year. :)

@Alan Cook yes, I generally roll this way too. Buy the watch on the bracelet and then wear it on a strap if you prefer it. Easier to sell the watch that way, if you ever need or want to, too.

@YY77, cool watches! I love your taste -- outrageously cool. My beef with Omega factory straps is how cheap they look and feel (and just plain are, I think), especially for what they charge for them. I always just make my own straps anyway, so I've got one all queued up for the new Seamaster. It's too conservative for your tastes, but I dig adding a homemade flair to my own watch.

Here's the strap I have that's just waiting for its Seamaster. Cut, pierced, sewn, and burnished by hand, with love! :)

tempImagesSSqTi.png

tempImageg74dR9.png

YY77 likes this.