Forums Latest Members
  1. Flatfoot Jan 8, 2018

I have been seeking a gold Tri Compax for a while now. The 12551 and 12552/3/4 type references attract me the most with their finer handsets
    This one looks nice to me:

https://www.chrono24.com/universalg...raph-vollkalender-18k-rosegold--id7313432.htm

I'd like feedback from others, specifically noting these points below.

I note the hour hand looking a bit different from others I've seen. This hour hand is more of a pure stick as opposed to the more tapered hands I've seen.

Subregisters seem correct, and dial overall is appealing - these photos were well done IMHO

the day indicator hand's red color has faded a bit, but it has a moon with a face, which I find charming.

The crown sure appears to be original, and it and all pushers appear to match the rose gold case color nicely.

Any and all opinions on this watch are welcomed.

2. gop76 Jan 8, 2018

The hour hand is wrong, imo

Flatfoot likes this.
  3. Florent Jan 8, 2018

Wrong hour hand and crown, not sure about the "CE" on the dial ...

Flatfoot likes this.
  4. bgrisso Jan 8, 2018

I've looked at this watch before. As others have said hour hand is wrong, but mostly I was trying to figure out what the CE on the hours subdial was about? Does it qualify as double branding? Not sure how hard or expensive to source a correct hour hand, if that was done I think it's not bad otherwise.

Flatfoot likes this.
  5. Flatfoot Jan 8, 2018

Thanks all.

Florent: I see what you mean about this crown when compared to others.

bgrisso, not sure its double branding that we are seeing. I'm wondering if the "CE" in the hours subregister are the initials of a prior owner applied by a watchmaker at some prior service.

6. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 8, 2018

Hour hand can be reshaped to make it blend a bit better... replacement might even be an easier hunt than the minute hand (nearly impossible), crown ... old watch .. can be lived with. Condition and moonface are paramount.

Flatfoot and Florent like this.
  7. Flatfoot Jan 8, 2018

Larry, I'd agree with your assessment on overall condition and moon face being present. I wondered if the hour hand was folded in some way. However perhaps it is more logical that it was simply dog-robbered from some other watch and made to fit.

I appreciate all the input I've received so far. Thanks, gents. I'm still on the fence with this one, and not in any rush.

I sent a "ping" to the seller earlier today with some detailed questions. We'll see how that goes. I've never dealt with Brevetwatches

8. Oku Jan 8, 2018

Would love to see some better pics.
    Imho. Moon disc is a reprint. The nose is not connected to the eyebrows.

However, that would not bother me too much as they pop up from time to time. Also these leaf hands are sometimes on donor movements sold in ebay. For a 37mm, it is a good price.

9. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 8, 2018

Hand is a UG Baton hand ... probably swappped in during a service. Price Reflects the hand imo. On my watch we (me and another OF member) had crap pictures. Didn’t notice the mixed hands till after service...minute hand is Baton.
    598F151F-BC6B-4A32-9595-F036996988E8.jpeg
    So I sourced and sourced, paid though the nose for a minute hand and it didn’t fit. So my watchmaker searched-came up empty-and reshaped the Baton hand. I’m happy. You really need to stare at the watch to notice. Oversized UG hands now are rare with a few people hoarding and charging insane prices. That said you might find a hands for a 35mm that might work.
    4C760CFA-D2EF-4E55-8940-0A03D89C2A56.jpeg

Now I have a 300euro minute hand to unload. :(

Flatfoot likes this.
  10. bgrisso Jan 8, 2018

the hour hand is a major problem IMO, I wouldn't spend money on anything that is not correct unless it's steeply discounted and you take it as a project watch, and start hunting for correct hand.....
    I was immediately suspect on the moonface, and I have raised this issue quite a bit in other threads. However I don't feel like we have resolved this issue (to my satisfaction at least), such that I am prepared to make any definite statements on originality. But, when they are still blue, AND the face is not the classic connected eyebrow, it makes we wonder a bit.....

Flatfoot likes this.
  11. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 8, 2018

We have never resolved the moon Face issue. I’m afraid I must concur that it is not original.

Flatfoot likes this.
  12. Flatfoot Jan 8, 2018

Some fine input, gents. Thank you all.

I have decided to pass on this example. My questions to the seller were geared more toward the condition of the movemment.

In the meantime, I will continue to hunt for a nice, original example of a 1255x reference. Oh, and locate a copy of the Sala book and and read it.