Forums Latest Members
  1. JohnB_ Jan 28, 2019

Hello everyone, new member here and a kind of newbie in watch collecting. I came across this watch in a local ad and I can't seem to find another model just like it on the internet, so I hoped I could reach out to people on here for help. The pictures are from the ad, I was going to see the watch this week to get a better look. But based on these pictures, what do you guys think?

omega.JPG omegae.JPG
  2. JohnB_ Jan 28, 2019

To me the hands don't seem to match and I have not seen any Seamaster's with the hour digits like that. Also the band does not have a clasp, so it likely is not original. Unfortunately I do not have a picture of the back. Thank you everyone in advance for any insight.

3. JohnB_ Jan 28, 2019

Should have clarified, I’d like to know if the watch is authentic or fake. Thank you.

4. trash_gordon Jan 29, 2019

For me the dial and hands look legit…band is a cheap flexbracelet

5. JohnB_ Jan 29, 2019

Thank you for the feedback!

6. connieseamaster Jan 29, 2019

I have severe doubts about that dial. The lume looks globby and sloppily applied

hoipolloi, ahsposo and JohnB_ like this.
  7. Willem023 Jan 29, 2019

Pictures too out of focus to really assist.

For what it is worth:
    - hour markers at least relumed
    - hands most likely not original
    - ditto for the crown
    - bracelet is not original: eats into your watch: loose it

Depending on what kind of collector you are: I would pass and not give it an other look.

Nice box though,...... looks like the one from my AT8500 :D ::facepalm1::

My 2cnts

Edit: pics (in focus) of the inside -cal + caseback- might shed some extra light

8. JohnB_ Jan 29, 2019

Thank you for the valuable advice. I had a funny feeling about the watch and this confirms it; I will pass. The price is about US$300, I think for a few hundred more I could get a better example elsewhere.

ahsposo likes this.
  9. Willem023 Jan 29, 2019

Yes, you could

JohnB_ likes this.
  10. jimmyd13 Jan 29, 2019

You're going to have to get better photos for a reliable opinion.

The hands are mismatched. I would guess the minute hand has been replaced. The thing that bothers me is the 0 in the 10: it's not a shape I've seen anywhere before. The rest is similar to the 258- that were being produced in the late 40s and a predecessor to the Seamaster.

What we really need are clear images of that dial and the reference numbers inside the caseback. A movement photo would also help.

I think it's an honest watch that's been serviced intermittently over the years with a few parts replaced as they aged or were damaged. However, it's not in a condition that immediately makes it interesting. If it's cheap, go see it, open it (do you know how?), and come back with more details.

JohnB_ likes this.
  11. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Jan 29, 2019

I would pass...

JohnB_ likes this.