Forums Latest Members

Opinions on this Air-King

1. onlyomega94 May 24, 2022

For some time now I have been looking at acquiring my first Rolex. Having thus far only owned vintage Omegas, it is, however, not without doubt that I am looking into stepping into another brand (and - for me - another price point).

This watch in question is a reference 5500, calibre 1520 with a 3.207.xxx serial number (details from the listing).
    The watch is described as having a 40-hour power reserve but as the service history is unknown a service, as always, should be expected.

To me, the watch looks in good condition. It seems fairly unpolished and with a crystal that will clean up easily. From the back, the horns seem to have slight indentations from (perhaps) bracelets rubbing against them. The watch comes on an oyster bracelet which is a clear plus. To my (somewhat untrained) eye the dial looks original and in good condition.

The watch is priced at 3.000 USD/2800 EURO (it is being offered in Northern Europe). Not a bargain but to me it seems like a fair price (do you agree?).

Opinions are very welcome. Thank you!
    Skærmbillede 2022-05-24 kl. 19.44.03.png Skærmbillede 2022-05-24 kl. 19.44.07.png Skærmbillede 2022-05-24 kl. 19.44.11.png Skærmbillede 2022-05-24 kl. 19.44.15.png Skærmbillede 2022-05-24 kl. 19.44.21.png Skærmbillede 2022-05-24 kl. 19.44.26.png

2. Dan S May 24, 2022

The dramatic mismatch between the lume in the hands and on the dial is a red flag for me. I'd need to look closer. Also, IMO, we are currently in a buyer's market for vintage non-sport Rolex, so be patient.

Scarecrow Boat likes this.
  3. johnireland May 24, 2022

Not bad...but go on ebay and type in Rolex Air King...you'll find some good competition for your money. And in 20 years, I've never lost a dime buying from high feedback vintage watch sellers. You just have to do your homework.

4. nicks May 24, 2022

All things considered (including the bracelet, which is somewhat more stretched than it could be), it’s not an awful watch.

But as others have said, you can do better. Certainly an Air-King is a reasonable choice for your first Rolex, but don’t ignore Dates and DateJusts. They are also relatively affordable.

Dan S likes this.
  5. vibe May 25, 2022

The price isn’t bad at all and the dial is in good shape, the lume on the hands could be better, but you can get a nice set or relume easily enough. The bracelet should be tighter but is probably not that bad. 7:00 and 1:00 lugs look thin. Make sure to look for corrosion between the lugs and where the caseback screws into the case.

6. onlyomega94 May 25, 2022

Thank you everyone for your replies. I have been looking for around a year now and don’t seem to be able to find many good Air-Kings/precisions in this price range - even when looking at sold listings on eBay (keeping in mind that I live in the EU). I guess I’ll have to keep looking.

7. johnireland May 27, 2022

8. onlyomega94 May 27, 2022

Thanks - but really my budget would be around 3000 USD max. Also, VAT and customs into Denmark would add 30% to the watches in question..

9. johnireland May 27, 2022

Understood. And you walked away from the watch you began this thread with because?

10. onlyomega94 May 27, 2022

Because the comments all stated I could do better and/or that the watch might have some issues. Overall, the reception wasn’t positive.

11. johnireland May 27, 2022

For the money you quoted as the price you want to pay, it looks like a good deal. Is it in a town near you, so you can have it inspected by your own watchmaker? Have you seen it in person, tried it on, felt how it winds and sets (no slop...all tight)? Is the bracelet original to the watch? Is it in good shape (aside form the scratches)? Everyone is saying you can do better for your money, but is anyone giving you a link to the watch they are talking about? Over time you can always clean up this watch...new crystal, maybe a service in a year or so, have the bracelet tightened if it needs it. Compare this watch and price, to the other two I showed you. For more money you get a better looking example...and newer. But for $3000 US, you get a nice looking (and hopefully good running) watch that you can and enjoy and learn with right now. On the other hand...a full service, now or later is going to cost $750 to $1000. If you add that to your budget, you're at $4000. So you are going to pay $4000 all up front, or $3000 now and the other $1000 in a year. If you spend the $4000 up front, you will have a watch with a service history and that needs nothing. But the money is your private business. So unless someone can point you to a better watch right now, I would personally move on this one. My two cents.

Cos270 and Turpinr like this.