Forums Latest Members
  1. Ramone Sep 5, 2015

Hi guys,

Not really an avid Omega-collector (yet), but I do have a few in my collection (including the one in my avatar).

One of your regulars suggested I should have my 'new' Constellation checked out here once I got it.

Well, here it is. I tried to take some clear shots. It's a cal. 561 with movement no. 23xxxxxx. About 35,5mm in diameter excluding the partially hidden crown.

As you can see, the crystal has some crazing going on. Not too bad in person. The Omega logo on the crown is hard to capture, but it's there.

Can you perhaps give me an idea to what degree this watch is 'all original' and (thus) collectable? I think I did okay but I'm not sure since I'm more of a vintage Rolex guy myself. Any additional info of course is very welcome. Thanks in advance :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Sep 5, 2015

Hi Ramone
    Lovely Constellation -congratulations
    I would consider this to be a fully hidden crown case
    The fonts look really good
    The edges of the case and lugs are slightly polished -one of the downsides of a gold case I'm afraid
    Nice crisp medallion though
    movement looks to be in good order
    The crystal doesn't have the Omega logo -so you can be happy to replace it with a genuine Omega version -not too expensive (around £30/$50)

Interesting dagger hands with the black insert -I've not seen these before -so I will let others comment on them

One thing I have noticed is the 12 o'clock marker -it's slightly crooked and too short
    All the others look like onyx inserts - this one seems to have been replaced with a painted version

hope that helps and I'm sure others will chime in
    regards
    Philip

hoipolloi likes this.
  3. Canuck Sep 6, 2015

It might be worth a closer look. But I think I see some cracks around the edges of the crystal. In particulat near the 12:00. And perhaps a small one near the 2:00. Nice dial. Might be an idea to do something about the crystal before you get it wet. If the cracks are a figment of my imagination, disregard.

4. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Sep 6, 2015

I just noticed the 'crack' at 12 too
    -could this possibly have something to do with the lost 12 o'clock marker perhaps ?

5. Ramone Sep 7, 2015

Thanks for the input. I agree there is something 'off' about the 12 o' clock marker. I haven't noticed before.

About the 'crazing' (tiny cracks inside the crystal): I noticed it was there and I agree it probably is a good idea to replace the crystal soon. However, I don't think any of these (including the one at '12') will have had anything to do with the strange (replaced?) 12 o' clock marker...

6. Ramone Sep 8, 2015

I'm thinking of getting the 12 o'clock marker fixed (by an expert), the crystal replaced as well as a movement overhaul.

Can I safely assume the watch is 100% original and period-correct? (Apart from the marker, of course.)

7. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Sep 8, 2015

Apart from that marker it looks all original to me.
    Remember that the 12 o'clock marker has double bars not single.
    20150908_111740.jpg

8. Ramone Sep 9, 2015

Thank you.

I noticed the hands have a slightly more 'copper' (rosier) tone than the markers and the case. Is that normal/acceptable? The hands themselves all have exactly the same color and 'age'. Age seems consistent with the rest of the dial.