Forums Latest Members
  1. trackpad Jan 15, 2017

2. TTG Suffers from watch FOMO. Jan 15, 2017

I would never buy anything off this seller.
    I have seen his selling and flipping practices on the various forums and Ebay and that is my opinion, period.

About this watch..
    I would ask for pictures of the back of the insert and close up of the dial, specifically the plots.
    I do not see anything special about this watch to be listed at $7.5.

3. ATWG Jan 15, 2017

I concur with TTG, do your due diligence. Always buy the seller, his watches are always prepared and undoubtedly you find something that just doesn't look right.

4. trackpad Jan 15, 2017

Thanks all.

@TTG Yep, I had asked for a picture of the plots as they look bare.

@ATWG Can you clarify what you mean by "prepared"?

Something still doesn't look right about condition of the case relative to the bezel for a watch from '68. And the top of the crown guard,...maybe this is what I've heard called a shiny sleeve finish?

I appreciate the head's up and will of course proceed with caution. Got a little ahead of myself due to the bezel which looks great – @ATWG maybe this is what you mean by prepared? As in, probably bleached.

5. ATWG Jan 15, 2017

The insert needs to be also inspected, would want a picture of the back. Prepared means the watch has been modified to make it look presentable for the sole purpose of a sale. Only the seller and god knows the extent of the modifications.

Swapping out an insert is not an issue to me, many collectors do that to give the watch a different look. Heck, I do that on my 16710 from time to time, changing Pepsi for an all black. So, I wouldn't necessarily peg the condition of the insert to any other part of the watch. I would however make sure it's authentic and has not been tampered with.

6. TTG Suffers from watch FOMO. Jan 15, 2017

Do you mean the bezel "insert" looks great ?
    This is why you want to ask for a picture of the back.
    I do not see anything special about the insert.. too much tampering with these things..
    Definitely not a period correct insert, you would want to see a very nice fat font insert.
    2.JPG

trackpad, ATWG and watchknut like this.
  7. Faz Jan 15, 2017

My take...16 pics and none of them a proper close up of what is most important.
    Case was definitely refinished. Bezel insert replaced and possibly artificially faded like so many out there.

Cheers,

watchknut likes this.
  8. ATWG Jan 15, 2017

I agree, I do not see anything special with the aforementioned insert, it only raises speculation, the one's you posted are more desirable IMHO.

9. trackpad Jan 15, 2017

yep...I meant exactly that :)

Thanks all, great input and feedback. Steering clear.