Forums Latest Members
  1. Don Sidhu Feb 2, 2019

Hi, can someone please provide some opinions on my Omega Speedmaster 145.012. I purchased it from an Omega collector and would like to know your opinions in terms of whether it is all original and unpolished, and any general comments that would help me get to know the watch a bit more. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I've shown pics below, including one of extract of the archives. The bracelet clasp code reads 1039 and '68. The crystal has an Omega logo in the center of the crystal. Lastly, the extract says that it was "Delivered to the Sixth Fleet and US Military Sea Transportation Service in Europe". Thanks in advance for any opinions and thanks for checking out my post and pics. Cheers, Don Sidhu.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Matth84, Raymondo5508, murph and 3 others like this.
  2. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Feb 2, 2019

It looks very good. Unpolished, unmolested hands and dial. Lume looks a bit puffy to my eyes for this reference, but there is nothing to ring any alarms on the dial...it’s very clean. All parts look original to me. Great bezel. I would say you did very well :thumbsup:

airansun likes this.
  3. Don Sidhu Feb 2, 2019

Thanks eugeneandresson! I appreciate your comment and advice. Is it possible that the lume could have been touched in any way or re-done? Is there any way that I can know for sure? Thanks!

4. t_swiss_t Feb 2, 2019

The only thing that might be service are the pushers. I forget if they can have skinny tubes like these or if they're supposed to be fat/wide like the 105's. The dial/bezel/case/crown/bracelet all look great.

5. Don Sidhu Feb 2, 2019

Thanks t_swiss_t! Cool handle, btw. Thanks for help. Much appreciated!

6. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Feb 2, 2019

Is it my eyes or there a weird discoloration around the base of the tritium markers? Looks reminiscent of luminous clear coating on the marker ive seen before.

7. OMEGuy Feb 2, 2019

Your watch looks just great! Pushers are serviced, maybe. Who cares?

What's interesting is that the watch was produced in June 1968 and the bracelet is stamped 1/68. Most of the time you see the bracelet being later than the watch.

Seems you bought a very nice Speedmaster. :thumbsup:

Davidt likes this.
  8. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Feb 2, 2019

It’s always the pushers...:) If I compare these to mine, which has only recently had its first ever service, they do look similar.

Made me get out of bed to look on the computer screen (as opposed to the phone)...and I see what you mean. I haven't seen nearly 1/100th as many 145.012's as you, but I did find it odd to see puffy lume here ... and apart from these things you point out, there is nothing else on the dial that points to tampering ... this is the reference that has the most lume-loss...

OMEGuy likes this.
  9. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Feb 2, 2019

The first photo shows the base area of some marker plots to have a shine staining to it. The type of lume here is porous and would absorb the luminous coating and swell. The other later lume seen where it is wavy whitist yellow or a pale color is okay and less porous but looks slightly crooked although original. Overall a nice watch no doubt but then again I’m a little overly picky.

eugeneandresson likes this.
  10. ndgal Feb 2, 2019

Correct.

11. Don Sidhu Feb 2, 2019

Gents, thanks so much for your help. I would have never thought that the lume could have been touched, based on who the collector was that I bought it off. I trust him and I know that he would have disclosed this to me. But I'm open to your opinions of course as you guys know so much more than me. To be honest I mainly collect vintage Rolex, and this is only the third vintage Speedy that I've purchased. Here's some more close ups of the dial. Thanks again for your help.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Davidt Feb 2, 2019

I also find it odd that the bracelet is dated prior to the production date on the extract. Not a deal breaker but very possible the bracelet was added recently.

13. Don Sidhu Feb 2, 2019

Thanks for that Davidt. That's something I wouldn't have thought of. Great help and again thanks a lot, I really appreciate it.

14. airansun In the shuffling madness Feb 2, 2019

I think the lume is original, although the way it’s applied looks like dials from earlier references.

Crazy idea: what if the dial is earlier and a replacement from when the watch was ‘restored’?

I think the watch looks quite nice.

15. Folgono Feb 2, 2019

Very good looking speedy. I'm not able to add any valuable information on it, but I must confess that I'm pretty jealous right now.

16. Basset Hound Feb 3, 2019

The lume wouldn’t concern me. I think that it’s a very nice watch. Congratulations.

17. bikehomero Feb 3, 2019

You can even test the lumens under UV light, or if they still restleucthet with normal light. It should shine as evenly as possible at all points.

Very nice example overall!

18. Don Sidhu Feb 3, 2019

Gents, thanks for all the kind words and the insight into your perspective on the watch. This has been super helpful!

19. Amaza Feb 3, 2019

In my experience this kind of puffy lume is not uncommon on this reference. Actually, I have a 145.012 close to the one in object 2607**** which has the same kind of lume. Fun enough also mine has tritium markers which show some kind of "wet halo" as if they received some sort of treatment.
    OI000011.jpg

DotOverNine likes this.