Forums Latest Members

Opinions on Bulova Marine Star, valjoux 7731

1. Togri Oct 30, 2014

Hello

This apparently rare Bulova with valjoux 7731 (from before the brand became crap) is on auction near where I live and I really like the rough look. I have read the little information on the web about this watch. Would like to hear other opinions on the watch (and perhaps the price - valued at £1200) :) Anyone like it as much as me or perhaps own/have owned one. It looks darn solid and a honest piece with a highly regarded machine inside. Anyway I'm a bit in love:rolleyes:

image.jpg

2. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Oct 30, 2014

Don't know a thing about these, but it's a looker! :cool:

3. ulackfocus Oct 30, 2014

It's in excellent shape, but £1200?!?!?! :eek: I'm a Bulova fan but even I wouldn't pay that much for it!

4. LarryG not KennyG, not OG, just LarryG Oct 30, 2014

Cairellis and their kin don't come cheap. It and the excelsior park example are good looking, for sure, but for 2k Id look elsewhere as well.

JohnSteed likes this.
  5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Oct 30, 2014

$1200 us maybe. As it looks neat. But €1200 NO WAY

JohnSteed likes this.
  6. Dogmann Oct 30, 2014

Hi Togri,

They are very cool looking watches and although there isn't much written about them when good examples do come up for sale they do seem to command a high price. Seeing as they are so similar to the Zenith Cairelli they do seem to be a bit of a bargain when compared to the prices those are now fetching here are a couple of links to the best write ups I have seen about them.

http://heuerville.wordpress.com/2014/05/25/bulova-marine-star/

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f7/new-one-me-vintage-bulova-marine-star-chrono-465318.html

Yes they may seem expensive but that is the price they seem to fetch and if its what you really like really only you can judge if they offer you good value at that price or not but I doubt you will find any others that are also in as good condition any cheaper.

STANDY

It is £1200 which is actually 1522 Euros so even more than you thought I have not seen a lot of these come up for sale and they have all been around this price range or more expensive than this one if they had the original bracelet.

Marc

7. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Oct 31, 2014

Something looks off on the reset/lower pusher.... or it's a really odd reflection.

Have you had the opportunity to inspect the watch live?

8. Togri Oct 31, 2014

Thx guys. I will seriously consider. Regarding the lower pusher there is some sort of miscolouring of the metal on the lower part of the pusher. I have not inspected it live but are considering a drive - about 200 miles

9. JohnSteed Oct 31, 2014

Togri, this ones a looker but suffers from two fatalities , for me..... Euro type price (as above noted) and probably on chrono24 :eek:

Even if you do like ... look around a bit. I've regretably lost count of the times I thought id lose a great deal only to see a better example elsewhere later. For less. And on here on OF too!!!!

I joke about chrono24 but...:rolleyes:

10. Togri Nov 1, 2014

JohnSteed it's actually not on chono24 but on an auction at a Danish auction house. There is a starting bid of €1200 which hasn't been reached yet. And with buyers premium that would come to around €1400 total. But I will let it go for now. I will prob wait for a nice Bundeswehr:) and save for that. But yeah, one should always be weary of Chrono. I am very new to watch collecting but have already discovered the alarmingly high prices in there :)

11. Ludi Nov 1, 2014

Around 500 made, built in 1979, clone of the Zenith Cairelli along with the Excelsior Park cal 7740, also available in white dial and cal 7740 (search through internet for reviews and further details ;) ), definitely worthy IMHO :cool:

As for the price, 1200 €/$ or whatever currency is a bargain ! The last I've seen were sold for around 1,8K €

image.jpg

image.jpg

... and my TdW as a matter of fact

[​IMG]

... and finally with my Bund for a comparaison

[​IMG]

Yes, it's quite a large watch

Hope it helps :) - Fred

Dedalus, stizzy, Dogmann and 2 others like this.
  12. Togri Nov 1, 2014

Ludi thx for info and nice to see it next to the Heuer :) Looks awesome on the NATO

13. ping pong patina Jul 14, 2015

Hi togri did you manage to buy the watch ?

14. M.D. Jul 14, 2015

15. calalum Jul 14, 2015

Is that an homage to the Cairelli, or did they somehow have the same parts? It is very similar, at least on the outside. I have no idea on the price but you can probably do a search and see what comes up. The number doesn't sound shocking in this market.

16. Adri Wonders why he can't edit this message Jul 14, 2015

Zenith Cairelli, Bulova Marine Star 7731 and the Excelsior Park Monte Carlo have the same case. Everything other (Hands,movement etc) is different.

17. calalum Jul 14, 2015

The dial is very similar, as is the sweep second hand.

18. Hijak Jul 14, 2015

Love it!::love:: Dibs!

19. Adri Wonders why he can't edit this message Jul 14, 2015

Yes many brands use this kind of second hand (Breitling, Heuer, Zenith etc)

Yes the watch is very hot::love:: and still missing in my collection:(

20. Northernman Lemaniac Jul 14, 2015

Since I bought it, I will note that down. :cool:
    As mentioned above it is not really a tribute. Rather a collection of parts in stock from a very bad time for the Swiss watch industry.
    Love it, and it has been making its way to my wrist quite regularly since it landed.
    image.jpg

jsaen, lenny, LouS and 1 other person like this.