Forums Latest Members
  1. stevencarlson Aug 16, 2016

Hey everyone! This is not my first omega, but it is my first "vintage" omega. I recently purchased this watch but do not have it in my possession yet... here are the pictures that the seller provided. Can you gents give your best opinion on the authenticity of the watch? I know that a picture of the movement would be great but unfortunately don't have one right now...

I did some research. My concern is a combination of the fact that its not automatic (i know seamasters did come with a wind mechanism), the "S" in seamaster seems inappropriate for the age (generation?) of the watch, and the "ticks" on the outer part of the dial are different than other seamasters. As far as movements are concerned - it's not an automatic rather a mechanical wind mechanism based on pictures/listing. I found that it could either have a calibre 283, 520, or 600.

Of course, all of this is my speculation and based on novice research.

Thanks in advance!

Dial.png Side view.png back.png
  2. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Aug 16, 2016

Looks like a 30mm hand wind with a refinished dial to me. Case is not sharp and has been polished. Condition of movement cant be seen but it would be wise to open it up when you receive it.

Cheers

Desmond

3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 17, 2016

Nice looking watch. It's an Omega for sure.

4. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Aug 17, 2016

5. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Aug 17, 2016

Agree case is very polished. What telltale signs lead you to believe to a redial? I see a small lump of "something" at the 9 o'clock marker. Is that what is leading you to your conclusion? The dial looks pretty good to me. What am I missing? Still trying to learn here.

6. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Aug 17, 2016

Looks like a South Korean refinish to me.

7. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Aug 17, 2016

Eric,
    What don't I see here. Is it just too good looking to be that old?

8. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Aug 17, 2016

Not necessarily and I could be very wrong but look at Seamasters on eBay from South Korea and you'll see the similarities. All have highly polished dials, like this one. It's not just Korea now. I found several from the US and UK.

tpatta likes this.
  9. tpatta Happily spending my daughter’s inheritance Aug 17, 2016

Got it. Thanks. Another OF lesson. That's way I enjoy this place.