Forums Latest Members

Opinions on an EP A385 Please?

1. Phranz Jul 16, 2016

Hi @ all you experienced ones in the field of Zenith!

I am thinking about buying an A385 (Case Nr. 708Dxxx) and would like to get please your opinions on one, that I found some days ago.
    Would not have given it a look to a year ago because of its colour, but I owned for some months a
    Defy A7681 with the heavy tonneau shape on my wrist, and to my big surprise l liked it very much, and this A385 has exactly the same khaki tones. Nobody in my surrounding likes this colour.... ;-)

As far as I have learned here (thx a lot to all!) about the EPs, this one looks basically correct?

Looks like a beaten warrior to me when I look at the bottom of the case and my main concern is about the condition of the refurbished case in relation to the price the seller wants. Did not yet get into negotions, but I „think“ I could get it somewhere in the range from Euro 4k - 4.5k. Yes they are climbing, and like many others I am to late to the party, but may be I am not completely lost? So to get one, is it advisible to wait patiently for a better one? I know, this is a tricky question....

Some other issues:
    movement will need a service
    the broken (or scratched) glass at 12h (replacement glass looks to high anyways in the first place?)
    the 30 min hand is probably also a replacement cause it is thicker than the other 2 hands?
    the missing „M“ in „TACHYMETRE“

thx for your attention!

front2.PNG

front1.PNG

3h.PNG

Boden 708Dxxx.jpg

Bridge.JPG

9h.PNG Deckel innen.JPG Rotor andere Seite.JPG
    Edited Jul 26, 2016
  2. papaebetu Jul 17, 2016

Too much refurbished, and bad, too much bad........ look up (at 12) is near rounded...

GIGI

3. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Jul 17, 2016

Very badly refinished, and the dail is not in great condition either. Keep looking. It's no bargain at that price, or even less IMO. Better to find a nicer example and pay up.

4. Phranz Jul 17, 2016

Thank you very much Sirs!
    I consider It really as a gift, getting your answers so easy and quickly here....

regards and my respect as always!

5. plexyforever Jul 17, 2016

Yes, I understand what you mean but, if you observe photo number 3, the edge does not look so round and polished.
    Here my El Primero photographed from different angle.
    In the second picture the upper edge looks more round and polished.
    Maybe this A385 is not so bad, I would like to check it in my hand.

image.jpeg image.jpeg
    ELV web and Phranz like this.
  6. Phranz Jul 17, 2016

Thx for another view on this. Its like with doctors, always good to hear some other opinions -:), and yes I could get in my hands, but for that would have to make a little journey by car, that costs a day, so I want to make sure its worth it or not.
    ....and I like your 3817....

Edited Jul 17, 2016
  7. papaebetu Jul 19, 2016

8. Phranz Jul 21, 2016

Dear Sirs!

I am by far not defending the here discussed A385, but after getting your appreciated feedback on the curved edges etc., and even if I am not that religious, I looked in the Roessler Bible, and almost none of these cases has ruler straight edges, not even the "Covergirl".
    ....well, don`t covergirls use to have round curves always?

This issue was disccussed here already:
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/nos-a3817.32358/#post-489885

Here the Chronocentric original post:
    http://chronocentric.com/forums/chronotrader/index.cgi?page=1;md=read;id=45268

After having read all this - am I right with the conclusion, that it is more or less a matter of taste, to straighten the little curves out on these cases or not?

……so still scratching my head, what a fair price range would be?

Edited Jul 24, 2016
  9. Phranz Jul 24, 2016

Hi once more!
    I had a look on this A385 now in flesh and made some quick mobile pics. (please excuse me for the bad quality)
    Basically this model looks very appealing to me, but I just want to know, if the case is really that bad refurbished, as some have commented. These comments are taken very seriously by me, because I have a lot respect for your experience and horological knowledge!
    So any comments again very much appreciated!
    _phranz

BTW this A7681 was the first of mine with this somehow very different color. But to me its more than one color, because dependent on the angle of sight and light situations, it has a surprising diversity from sand to clay, wood etc. and all these tones sometimes appear magically at the same moment on the dial in shades from the outside to the center and back again......wow!
    wrist_2.jpg

But now to the discussed Primero

wrist_2.jpg

Krone_1.jpg

Ausschnitt_12h.jpg Ausschnitt_6h.jpg

wrist_3.jpg

9h.jpg
    wrist_4.jpg

wrist_5.jpg

wrist_6.jpg

Really that bad?

Edited Jul 24, 2016
  10. plexyforever Jul 24, 2016

New pictures talk ...

Phranz likes this.
  11. papaebetu Jul 27, 2016

We have discuss what we have seen in photos.
    Now we can see the new, without any digital effect, and see how are the real condition.

Photos are the only way for send comment, I haven't again the magic ball for see through....
    My poor 2cents....

GIGI

Phranz likes this.
  12. Phranz Jul 27, 2016

Thx GIGI for having looked at these new pics!
    ...and yeah, with seller pics in general, it would often be great to have such a magic tool, to be able to see the naked dial :)
    _phranz

13. Phranz Jul 27, 2016

Deal done, mission complete, will get a service and new glass, looking forward to the date with my new love! ::psy::

thanks to all of you!

_phranz

14. plexyforever Jul 27, 2016

Welcome to the El Primero magic world.:thumbsup:

Phranz likes this.
  15. Phranz Jul 27, 2016

thx for the nice welcome
    _Franz