Forums Latest Members

Opinions on a vintage Devil Diver?

1. JetLinks Mar 15, 2021

I'm considering a birthday purchase of a Bulova Accutron Devil Diver and as it's the non-mechanical version I wanted to get some insight on how well these Accutron watches perform/last over time?

The reason I'm interested in the Accutron is because the only watch I have from my late Grandfather is a smaller Accutron (218 I think) but due to its small size, I'll never really wear it. So I figured in his honor I'd get something to complement his.

Thanks in advance OF peeps!

Screenshot_20210315-134306.png

2. JwRosenthal Mar 15, 2021

Well, that one is a quartz and not the tuning fork “electric” movement aka hummer- which is known as the Deep Sea.
    The Deep Sea also has a 218 movement. There are very few watchmakers left that can service an Accutron (the hummers) so you need to know who they are before you jump into one.

3. Dan S Mar 15, 2021

What is the question exactly? As James mentioned, this isn't the type of Accutron people typically think of, but it is technically an "Accutron" and it's quartz, which will probably run fine.

4. JetLinks Mar 16, 2021

Thanks guys, I didn't realize that there were both a quartz and tuning fork versions. Without the tuning fork I feel that it lacks the connection to my grandfather's old watch, plus if they're difficult to service that might make me reconsider this idea altogether. Advice very much appreciated!

5. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 16, 2021

This is in superb condition it appears.