Forums Latest Members
  1. FullyWound Hasn't discovered decaf yet. Feb 16, 2017

by no means a speedy professional (me not the watch) have i missed anything "wrong"

SAM_2143.jpg SAM_2152.jpg SAM_2155.jpg SAM_2157.jpg SAM_2371.jpg SAM_2380.jpg SAM_2400.jpg SAM_2425.jpg SAM_2433.jpg SAM_2436.jpg SAM_2449.jpg SAM_2450.jpg SAM_2453.jpg SAM_2460.jpg SAM_2485.jpg
    oddboy, empdx and bhove like this.
  2. repoman Feb 16, 2017

LGTM :thumbsup:

FullyWound likes this.
  3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 16, 2017

Chrono second hand has been replaced or relumed. I'd want to see a non color adjusted picture though.

On the watch head that's all I see. I didn't check the serial though.

FullyWound likes this.
  4. Kmart Feb 16, 2017

How can you tell? It seems to match the (minimal?) patina on the dial, which looks to have faded to more of a greenish color. I think you have a -76 that's really similar right?

FullyWound likes this.
  5. FullyWound Hasn't discovered decaf yet. Feb 16, 2017

there is really very little colour adjustment done by me its camera aperture i use a digital compact set to "auto" and frankly light quality is crappy HOWEVER lume in hand is SLIGHTLY yellower than dial which is SLIGHTLY more green kinda but it is very very mild

the bset to see the difference is my outside today photographs where i had a very short window of partly clouded sun i have very very marginally (very marginally) INCREASED colour so you can see the difference there a little

bracelet is 1171 633 endlinks

6. FullyWound Hasn't discovered decaf yet. Feb 16, 2017

according to service records watch was not opened since 1986 and the HIDEOUS degradation of the case seal would confirm this (obviously now cleaned and replaced) IF it was relumed it was between 71 and 86 now i dont think it has been done is it reasonable to suggest thand hand lume can age differently to dial lume if original compound were say from different "batches" dates etc etc i ask because i have seen this A LOT

7. repoman Feb 16, 2017

In some of the pics the chrono hand looks like a newer Luminova replacement, in others it doesn't... I think it would be unusual to just replace the chrono hand and not the others, so I feel like its probably original. Serial looks ok by me. I find the piece very attractive overall.

FullyWound likes this.
  8. FullyWound Hasn't discovered decaf yet. Feb 16, 2017

what is this? legitimate?

9. abrod520 Feb 16, 2017

Looks OK to me, serial number's in the correct range too.

FullyWound likes this.
  10. FullyWound Hasn't discovered decaf yet. Feb 16, 2017

thanks to all so far.

11. Kmart Feb 16, 2017

Looks Good To Me. :)

repoman likes this.
  12. ossfm Feb 16, 2017

I am no professional either. I'm posting this as much to learn as to comment. I have a 145.022-69, serial 31.611M. I expect the extract to say it was made in the middle of 1971. Here is a picture of mine from when I bought it summer 2016. The hands have been replaced. The lume on the hour indices has faded to a yellowish color from age.
    234215-5e808c80ec2b056132412206544cb48c.jpg

What strikes me about "yours" is the relative lack of patina. Perhaps that is normal for a very well kept watch. I think the lume on the hour and minute hand has faded as probably expected. The hour indices look quite new to me, as does the chrono hand. They're practically white.

If the patina on yours is correct, I'd say it looks very nice and you should get it. Good luck.

13. Kmart Feb 16, 2017

I wasn't aware of this until recently but tritium can age a couple different ways. People are certainly more accustomed to that yellowish/orange patina as that's what most vintage speedys have faded to (and most prefer it I think, I definitely do), but it can also end up more white/greenish like this one.

14. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 16, 2017

The reason I think the Chrono hand might have been replaced is that the lume is lighter then the batons. Or it appears that way in the pictures.

Patina looks correct for a very minimally worn watch. It's look bnib with no tritium lume discoloration on the dial... at least from the pics.

15. FullyWound Hasn't discovered decaf yet. Feb 16, 2017

I do think its the pictures SORRY hands and second hand are the same there is a little browning at the edges if you look at this with a 4x Loupe the thing with the hands is they are narrower so where the browning ios at the edges there is simply as a "ratio" a little more of it ALSO a bit of shadowing isn't helping but second hand and main hands are similar.. i see that second hand is marginally lighter looking as the "middle bit" is less aged than the edges.. so still more yellowy rather than the browner edge bit (if you get what i mean)

Anyway! im going to say "maybe" that keeps everyone covered!

Kmart and Foo2rama like this.
  16. empdx Feb 16, 2017

I think it's a good honest piece. wear it and enjoy...

Kmart likes this.
  17. FullyWound Hasn't discovered decaf yet. Feb 16, 2017

you look so pretty in black and white!

unfortunately my (often) reluctant job is to sell these things i just wanted a second opinion from the members of OF so i "dont get nuttin wrong"

SAM_2460.jpg
  18. FullyWound Hasn't discovered decaf yet. Feb 16, 2017

Thanks again to everyone.. i genuinely honestly mean this. Thank you members thank you @Trev and thank you MODS, OF is a valuable resource of like minded and knowledgeable individuals thank you all for your time , my gratitude is immeasurable

19. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 16, 2017

On replacing just one hand, I would not consider that unusual at all. Not thinking of these as collectible or valuable, if some watchmaker back in the day were working on this, and the original hand was damaged in any way, they would likely take the most cost and time efficient way of fixing it - a new hand.

Hands can get damaged on removal, rivets can come loose, pipes can no longer be tight enough to keep it from moving in reset - this is not uncommon at all from a watchmaking point of view.

Cheers, Al

pippy, Jhh834 and FullyWound like this.