Forums Latest Members

Opinions on 2 Zenith 156s Watches On Ebay

1. Slider20 Jan 15, 2014

Hi, First time poster on this great forum, definitely wont be my last. I have been lusting for vintage Chrono in Yellow Gold, thats also in a relatively modern size, and does not break the bank. I think the Zenith 156 seems to be a decent choice. Just wanted to get some opinions on two 156s on Ebay right now

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-OVE...374502911?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item3cdb2267ffPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Zenith...104328831?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item4d175b1c7fPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

2. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Jan 15, 2014

Welcome friend. Cal 156's are terrific, but these both have issues. The American one has a nice case but the blue tachy ring is nearly obliterated. The Italian one's dial is too grotty for my taste, and the case has had a polish. Also, both seem to be rose gold... the best kind, IMO, but not the yellow that you crave. Despite these issues, the American one will probably top $2k, the Italian one maybe $1600.

3. Slider20 Jan 15, 2014

Thanks for you help, I really meant Yellowish Gold, Rose gold is fine too.

I didn't even notice that faded Tach ring, although I like the case, I think the other one is a no go then.

Not sure if I'll bite the bullet on either, mite just wait for a better example.

4. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 15, 2014

The second one in your original post "sold" on December 30th for just above USD1500 (I know because I was in the hunt, and lost, without regret for the reasons MMMD mentions). But here it is again, in typical eBay fashion.

active listing
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/331104328831Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

first listing
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Zenith...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

5. Slider20 Jan 15, 2014

That is very strange,

Should I be nervous to bid? Seems like they get decent feedback on the Bay?

6. ulackfocus Jan 15, 2014

Don't necessarily trust feedback. It can be manipulated by shill accounts, and unwitting buyers who don't know they got taken. This kinda sucks for the sellers that have earned their 100% rating.

7. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 15, 2014

Lots of clueless people buy on Ebay. When they get the package, they open it, exclaim "It's a watch!" and leave positive feedback. The ones who notice the redials or that the watch has other defects return it, cancel the deal and no feedback. Result: all positive feedback.

In this case, the watch could have been relisted because

1) the last winner didn't pay up.
    2) the last winner got the watch but returned it for reasons unknown.
    3) the seller's shill bidder "won" the auction.

The fact that the seller hides bidder identities is not reassuring. Ebay already hides bidders' identities by assigning an alphanumeric code to each bidder in an auction, but you can see who bid when, and the bidder's feedback count, so you can at least get an idea of whether or not there is hanky panky. I can't think of a reason for the seller to further obscure the identities unless there is questionable bidding. Can anyone else?

Should you bid? Sure. But don't bid against anyone else. Just decide what the watch is worth to you, set up a snipe, and walk away. Don't get caught up in the bid-upping.

SpikiSpikester likes this.
  8. ulackfocus Jan 15, 2014

Not me. For my own safety I assume ALL 'private' bidder auctions to have a shill at work.

Habitant likes this.
  9. Slider20 Jan 15, 2014

This vintage watch business on Ebay is quite nerve racking. I guess thats how you get out of paying retail.

Thanks everyone

10. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 15, 2014

"I love eBay; it rewards knowledge, diligence, and deft action but punishes ignorance, foolishness, and greed." - M4tt, 06/01/12

Educate yourself, seek consultation where knowledge is lacking and Ebay is your friend. Most days. :cautious:

11. ulackfocus Jan 15, 2014

There'll be a good sidebar about that in my next "Incoming!" thread.

12. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Jan 15, 2014

You can say the same thing about life.

SpikiSpikester likes this.
  13. ulackfocus Jan 15, 2014

Wait…. what? You can buy a life on ebay? ::confused2::

14. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 15, 2014

I think he's sayin' we spend our lives on Ebay. I think. ::confused2:: ::confused2::

15. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Jan 15, 2014

I think he gives life too much credit. :cautious: