[Opinions] Omega Genève

What do you guys think about this Omega Genève?

The seller says it is in very good nick and apparently all original. I am not quite sure because in my opinion there are for sure scratches in the glass (which the seller says it does not have) and isn't it missing the "waterproof" writing on the back, or is this not on all Genève models? Also do you guys think that it was polished? Because the case looks a bit too clean for a watch of this age?

I would really appreciate some opinions from you guys, because I am not that knowledgeable about it but I am really craving a Omega Genève, because I like the all basic look on it.

Thanks in advance already for all your answers!

Did the seller not provide any pictures of the inside of the case back and/or caliber?

Like 1
Did the seller not provide any pictures of the inside of the case back and/or caliber?
No he did not sadly. He said he just did inherit it
No he did not sadly and I don't think he normally deals with watches. He told me that it is a heirloom. But it is a bit risky right? Because I don't think he knows much about it or even if it is original.

I'm not the biggest expert, I'd say the case has been polished and brushed on the bottom of the case back. The lines on the crown-side look fairly sharp, while on the other side the lugs look a bit more rounded. There are a couple scratches on the glass between 6-8 hours and some marks that might be on the dial (? hard to tell from the one picture). Could be something like a ref. 136.0098 with a 613 caliber but without any other pictures it's hard to say, maybe someone more experienced on the matter will be able to tell you more about it. upload_2023-6-30_15-40-18.png
https://www.omegawatches.com/it-it/watch-omega-geneve-omega-md-136-0098

It’s not a cal 613 because that’s not an automatic and the dial says it’s ‘automatic’.

My guess would be that it’s a166.0163 case with one of the later 10** movements.

The one you post looks very nice and the dial hands and case look to be in good condition.

Obviously, without a service history, details of the case and movement it’s a bit of a lottery.

You should check the sold section on Omega Genèves on eBay to get an idea of the value.

That said, if you like it and the price is reasonable, the condition of the watch in your photos suggest to me it is worth a gamble

Like 2
It’s not a cal 613 because that’s not an automatic and the dial says it’s ‘automatic’.
You're right, my bad

@Gwaxy may I ask what's the asking price?

Like 1
You're right, my bad

@Gwaxy may I ask what's the asking price?

@theycallmeSerg @Spruce Firstly thank you both for your insight and answers! It is really appreciated!

Yeah you may of course. The asking price is 620 CHF (Swiss Francs). It seems on the higher side but reasonable right? Considering that the watch looks somewhat good and that prices in Switzerland are generally a bit higher and we don't have the ability to buy from ebay (importtaxes and so on would sadly make the purchase way more expensive).

Also my gutfeeling is that I don't think the seller is a rip off. I am also able to have a look at the watch before I buy it. Do you guys have some tips if I would go to have a look at it on what to look out for?

Thank you again for the help!

This thread is very informative and helpful

https://omegaforums.net/threads/learn-how-to-fish.52603/

Also, I think 620 CHF is very high for a later model Geneve. For that price I’d expect a recent service by a reputable repairman with a receipt showing what was done and giving a warranty. I’d also be thinking I’d like the original box and an Omega steel bracelet as well. Probably a signed crystal too. I’d want the seller to accept returns if you were unhappy with the purchase.

Still, you’ve had a look at eBay and Chrono24 pricings, read the above thread, examined the watch and agreed a price so…… :)
Edited:

Like 1
This thread is very informative and helpful

https://omegaforums.net/threads/learn-how-to-fish.52603/

Also, I think 620 CHF is very high for a later model Geneve. For that price I’d expect a recent service by a reputable repairman with a receipt showing what was done and giving a warranty. I’d also be thinking I’d like the original box and an Omega steel bracelet as well. Probably a signed crystal too. I’d want the seller to accept returns if you were unhappy with the purchase.

Still, you’ve had a look at eBay and Chrono24 pricings, read the above thread, examined the watch and agreed a price so…… :)

Thank you for the thread! This helps very much.

Yeah I did compare with Ebay, Chrono and some similar websites to them from Switzerland. Therefore I thought the price was alright. Altough I have to say, I did compare to the automatic model only. Do you reckon I should check on the handwinding models as well to compare the prices?
Because all of those watches where around 500-1200 CHF and only the more expensive ones had services done. Therefore I figured it was alright. (Well there are cheaper ones but the crystal is mostly very damaged or they are defect. And many with an obvious redial as well) But I guess I will ask the seller if a service was done recently.

By signed crystal you mean the omega logo in the middle of the glass of the watch right?

Sorry for the many questions and thanks again for the help. Very new still to the whole watch world but I really like it so far!

It was only a ‘wish list’ but if you’ve done your homework and are happy with the watch, then you have to bite the bullet, one way or the other.

Manual and automatics both have their advantages but, like you, I favour automatics.

A signed crystal does have an ‘etched’ logo but I always think it’s replaceable, just like buying a new strap.

You’ll find plenty of advice on OF on what to use to polish any scratches out of the crystal but I use Polywatch.

And, although it’s always good to get an original bracelet, I’m slightly heretical on bracelets and regularly spend £40 on a replica from Etsy rather than £300 on an original vintage.

Good luck

Like 2
It was only a ‘wish list’ but if you’ve done your homework and are happy with the watch, then you have to bite the bullet, one way or the other.

Manual and automatics both have their advantages but, like you, I favour automatics.

A signed crystal does have an ‘etched’ logo but I always think it’s replaceable, just like buying a new strap.

You’ll find plenty of advice on OF on what to use to polish any scratches out of the crystal but I use Polywatch.

And, although it’s always good to get an original bracelet, I’m slightly heretical on bracelets and regularly spend £40 on a replica from Etsy rather than £300 on an original vintage.

Good luck

I do understand. Maybe it is also just a moment picture. Because I found some cheaper ones in the sold listing (I did only search the open listings beforehand::facepalm1::). It is just the picture I get on the used market in Switzerland and on Chrono which seems to place it in this price range. I am going to ask the seller if he has more info on the watch and maybe I am lucky. If not I will give it a more thorough thought if it is worth it.

But the Logo of the crystal is dead in the center right?

Thank you about the tip of Polywatch. It looks really easy to use and I will probably use it on my other watch. Those old crystals just get a scratches very easy but in my opinion a watch is there to be worn.

Agree with you about the replica bracelet. Sometimes there is even more choice considering lug width on etsy.

Thank you again for the help!

The logo is dead centre. Looking again at your photos, it may be there

Little update on my front. I did bite the bullet and went to look at it. And it is in very pristine condition because it was very seldom worn. It really looks the part. The dial is very pristine as well as the hands. The crystal has some scratches but it is an original one. And a watchmaker had look recently. Overall I am very happy with the purchase. Now I need to find a fitting strap. :)

Like 2
Little update on my front. I did bite the bullet and went to look at it. And it is in very pristine condition because it was very seldom worn. It really looks the part. The dial is very pristine as well as the hands. The crystal has some scratches but it is an original one. And a watchmaker had look recently. Overall I am very happy with the purchase. Now I need to find a fitting strap. :)

That’s excellent news. We will look forward to seeing photos.

Obviously, you’ll polish the crystal but I suggest that you go on eBay and buy a selection of inexpensive straps so that you can work out whick works for you.

By way of example, I’ve had trouble deciding what strap to use on this Connie. I’ve tried quite a few different straps but am currently enjoying this £10 eBay “vintage” leather.

IMG_1922.jpeg

Like 2
Hi all,

I would like to get your opinion on a Omega Geneve watch I'm planning to buy. The price is 430,00 EUR.

Screenshot 2023-07-06 10.09.32 AM.png Screenshot 2023-07-06 10.09.30 AM.png Screenshot 2023-07-06 10.09.28 AM.png Screenshot 2023-07-06 10.09.26 AM.png Screenshot 2023-07-06 10.09.24 AM.png Screenshot 2023-07-06 10.09.22 AM.png Screenshot 2023-07-06 10.09.20 AM.png Screenshot 2023-07-06 10.09.16 AM.png

I would like to ask you the following:

- Is it a real Omega?
- Anything you're 'skeptical' about regarding the overall condition of the watch?
- Do you think the price is reasonable?

Thanks,
Kristian

Hi all,

I would like to get your opinion on a Omega Geneve watch I'm planning to buy. The price is 430,00 EUR.

Screenshot 2023-07-06 10.09.32 AM.png Screenshot 2023-07-06 10.09.30 AM.png Screenshot 2023-07-06 10.09.28 AM.png Screenshot 2023-07-06 10.09.26 AM.png Screenshot 2023-07-06 10.09.24 AM.png Screenshot 2023-07-06 10.09.22 AM.png Screenshot 2023-07-06 10.09.20 AM.png Screenshot 2023-07-06 10.09.16 AM.png

I would like to ask you the following:

- Is it a real Omega?
- Anything you're 'skeptical' about regarding the overall condition of the watch?
- Do you think the price is reasonable?

Thanks,
Kristian
Start another thread for this watch. It gets very confusing when a thread has multiple watches to discuss and in any case people will miss your post as they think the original question has been answered.

Like 1
That’s excellent news. We will look forward to seeing photos.

Obviously, you’ll polish the crystal but I suggest that you go on eBay and buy a selection of inexpensive straps so that you can work out whick works for you.

By way of example, I’ve had trouble deciding what strap to use on this Connie. I’ve tried quite a few different straps but am currently enjoying this £10 eBay “vintage” leather.

IMG_1922.jpeg

Yes, I am awaiting the tools to polish the crystal.

I followed your advice and started looking for straps on the swiss ebay alternative. Maybe an unconventional choice but I went for a grey Natostrap and I really like the look. But for sure I will also look for a leather one as well.

Like 2
Yes, I am awaiting the tools to polish the crystal.

I followed your advice and started looking for straps on the swiss ebay alternative. Maybe an unconventional choice but I went for a grey Natostrap and I really like the look. But for sure I will also look for a leather one as well.

lt looks good but be careful with NATO straps as they can and will chew up your caseback. Maybe use a sticker between the strap and back. NATO rash might be why the back on your watch seems to have been brushed/refinished though it may also have been removal of an inscription. Either way it doesn’t matter really.
Edited:

Like 1
Update 2.0 on the strap search. I bought myself a leather strap. Really like it so far and I think it gives the watch a bit a more of a classy look. And I prefer it over the nato as the watch lays closer to the wrist.

Like 3