Forums Latest Members
  1. Rolycoaster Apr 9, 2018

Good day OF

I've been looking for an early Seamaster to 'match' my London 2012 LE 1948 (see my Great Big Intro and avatar). So far, In about a year of looking, the most pleasing to my eye is this 1955 specimen, offered by what I think is a reputable on-line dealer. However, their description, below in italics, is quite limited so I thought I'd add my own opinions, based on knowledge gleaned from reading OF for a while, and would love any additional insight or schooling from those much more knowledgable than me. (sorry I could only download one picture)

Dial : The dial is in very good condition.
    To me there is a pleasing, even, patina; I presume it was lighter (white?) to begin with? There are less pleasing issues around 6 and possibly 9 & 12 but may be shadow. I'm not sure I'd rate it very good but itlooks original and untouched to me. The lume on the dial looks a lovely custard colour, but may be missing at 3,6 & 9. The hands look a little lighter/brighter to me but I've seen similar looking sets described as having aged together. I like the hands but don't know if they're original?

Case : The case is in very good condition, showing light signs of age/wear and or scratches.
    I think there is LOTS of wear and plenty of scratches and not very well defined edges so probably polished long ago?

Movement : The movement is in very good condition.
    I couldn't download the movement picture but it's a Cal 503 and does look to be in good condition.

Overall : The watch is in very good condition.
    Well I like it:

Omega_Seamaster_Calendrier_2849-7SC_Horare_Vintage_Watch_1.png

The price? They're asking Euro 790, which doesn't seem outrageous.

TIA

2. ConElPueblo Apr 9, 2018

I don't think I've seen any of these with a red/roulette date disc before? Otherwise, I agree with your assesment. At €790, it better be serviced though.

3. Rolycoaster Apr 9, 2018

Thanks, and gosh I must have learnt something from all that reading. The seller describes the watch as having 'a super cool roulette date wheel' but doesn't mention servicing; I'll ask.

4. cristos71 Apr 9, 2018

Looks to me like the hands and markers have been re-lumed. I don't like the smudge at the 6 '0 clock and the seconds hand looks too short and blunt.

5. Rolycoaster Apr 9, 2018

Thanks @cristos71, are you basing the re-lume on it all being clean and even? They would have done the 3,6 and 9 at the same time but these are now missing so do you think an older re-lume?

6. padders Oooo subtitles! Apr 9, 2018

Personally I would look for a bumper movement model if i wanted to get a big lug representing the Genesis of the Seamaster. The 501/503s are more a transition to the 60s models IMO. Finding a healthy original bumper can be a challenge though.

7. ConElPueblo Apr 9, 2018

I think that the hands have been relumed, but not the dial. Agree on the seconds hand, though it isn't too bad, IMO.

8. cristos71 Apr 9, 2018

The hand lume looks too even and lemony and not like 50's radium.

With the dial I was basing my opinion on the over large lume dot at 10 '0 clock

9. Rolycoaster Apr 9, 2018

Great, thanks, that's exactly the kind of insight I was hoping for.