Forums Latest Members

Opinions from experts requested on this 2915 bezel.......

1. kevin5 Oct 1, 2015

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and I am seeking opinions on this 2915 bezel. I was exclusively a Panerai collector for years but started getting into vintage a couple years back. I added a couple vintage Rolex to my collection and have been searching for my first vintage Omega, a 2914 railmaster., no luck yet because I really want to find a nice and origina example as well as an early execution. In my search though I've come across this 2915 from another collector, the watch is very nice but I question the bezel. I've asked a couple people whom I respect and I've received conflicting opinions so I figured I would post some pics here to see what the experts thought. Pictures are posted below.

Thank you in advance!!!

image1.JPG image2.JPG image3.JPG image4.JPG image5.JPG image6.JPG

ock2915 likes this.
  2. mac_omega Oct 2, 2015

what iteration is the watch -1 or -2 or -3?

3. kevin5 Oct 2, 2015

Sorry for leaving that out, it's a -3.

Hope that helps. Thank you!

4. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Oct 2, 2015

With 2915 bezels I assume it's a repro unless evidence is heavily against.

The repros are VERY good, and for most of us even if they are not that good, we see so few that the repros are hard to judge.

People take the repros and age them. However they are sometimes lazy, and use a machine. This leaves lathes marks, circular machine marks, and I think this is the case here. A bezel that has aged naturally shows random damage and degredation, where as this one has circular wear, especially where the outer parts of the numbers are more worn than the internal.

Now I stress I don't know for sure because I do not own an original bezel at this time. I have seen them, and I my intuition on this one is that it is repro.

Part of that intuition is fuelled by the other albeit scant indications:

It is a -3 and only half of these had steel bezels, but sellers strive to equip them as otherwise their 2915-3 looks like a 2998-1 (with longer minute hand).

What I can see of the dial makes me suspicious. I see a small step in an apparent pristine dial. I am not used to seeing either in a 2915.

All of this is circumstantial and I am just a very enthusiastic observer. Part of the problem is the better a watch like this looks, the closer to fake it looks.

So it could be very good, or a fake.

flame likes this.
  5. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Oct 2, 2015

the wear is too inconsistent around the circumfence for my taste..... kind regards. achim

flame likes this.
  6. mac_omega Oct 2, 2015

the font looks OK for an early example - but I can not comment on authenticity

can you show a picture of the whole face?

and please let us know at least the first 5 digits of the movement serial#

7. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Oct 2, 2015

I think the circular scuff marks on the lugs give us a clue as to whether it is original or artificially aged repro.

8. kevin5 Oct 2, 2015

Thank you for all responses, very much appreciated!

Any nice 2914s out there for me? Been looking for one for awhile now ;)