Forums Latest Members

Opinions about pre owned Omega Seamaster ref. 176.007

1. Mariosegarra Jun 1, 2015

Hi let me introduce myself, My name is Mario, im from Mexico, actually living in San Luis potosi. i´m new collecting watches, but im also very interested in them.
    recently, i got a Seamaster ref.176.007 as a gift, the overall condition of the watch in my opinion is very good. i was surprised when ive saw in the bracelet "Hecho en Mexico" because i thought that all omega and "swiss made" watches, were completely made there, including all the pieces and accesories, is my first automatic watch, and i will apreciate your comments and/or suggestions about the watch or mantaining the watch or taking care of it, and do you have idea about how much does it cost?
    thank you very much
    PD: does anyone knows whats J/M means, these initials, are in the bracelet.
    PD2: im sorry for my bad english!

2015-05-30 13.48.06.jpg 2015-06-01 11.41.32.jpg 2015-06-01 22.15.24.jpg 2015-06-01 22.15.30.jpg 2015-06-01 22.15.51.jpg 2015-06-01 22.16.10.jpg 2015-06-01 22.16.34.jpg 2015-06-01 22.17.00.jpg 2015-06-01 22.17.16.jpg
    Paedipod likes this.
  2. BASE1000 Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jun 2, 2015

Hi Mario and welcom to the watch collecting addiction :D

The 176.007 is a wonderful watch, especially as daily watch, as the Chronopart is one of the most readable and practical.
    Omega produced bracelets in Mexico, probably for the American markets, I have also had several of those.
    Unfortunately this bracelet and the endlinks are not the correct ones, in term of collectivity. Anyway IMO the 176.007 looks the best with a leather strap but if you want the correct bracelet look for the 1170 with the 653 end links. Especially the endlinks are pretty hard to source.
    No mater, just enjoy this beauty. In Europe the price for that watch in that condition is around 1.400 EUR. If you want it perfect, invest in a Spa treatment in Bienne at around 1k. Then you will get back this beauty with perfect sunburst in the case and new shiny hands. I would not do that with a Speedmaster, but for those 70ies Sportswatches it makes sense.

Cheers

Mariosegarra likes this.
  3. Misterred Jun 2, 2015

That is a fine first Omega watch you have Mario! I love the 176.007 with the blue color dial. Although more common than the 176.001 I hope to acquire such a watch myself one day. And the movement is supposed to be a great automatic movement. So, it's a great first catch.

If I were you I would indeed go for a service. I think with new hands, this watch will even look better. No sure what the costs will be. Depends on where you will have it serviced. My guess is a certified Omega watch maker can change the hands for $ 150. But perhaps the movement also needs a service. Then it can become a lot more expensive. But you can have it checked at a watchmaker.

Mariosegarra likes this.
  4. Jkbenn02 Jun 2, 2015

The watch looks great! I wouldn't mess with the hands but if you must they are available from Otto Frei in the USA. My estimate would be about $300 for a new handset.

I recently had a 176.007 serviced by The Watch Shop in Louisville, KY. It cost $450 but it needed a few internal parts. Barry at the Watch Shop will service these for $250 assuming no parts are required.

The bracelet is a Holzer bracelet and was correct for some 176.007s sold in South America if my research is correct. I bought a silver dialed example that also came with these bracelets which were produced for Omega. Nothing wrong with that bracelet but the 1103 does look better IMHO. They pop up on eBay from time to time and I did sell a partial Holzer on eBay a few months ago. Most people aren't familiar with them nor how to list them so good luck with your search.

The movement can be serviced by competent watchmakers and doesn't have to be sent to Beinne though it helps in the resale (but at a point you have to ask...how much exactly? Is it worth $1000+ to have a $500 price premium when selling or merely have a $200-300 premium by having a competent watchmaker service it).

It's a beauty, wear it in good health. I just so happen to be wearing my silver 007 today

image.jpg
  5. Jkbenn02 Jun 2, 2015

1170 not 1103. My mistake

6. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Jun 2, 2015

Nice watch! I have a similar one, though note the text on my dial has "Seamaster" above "AUTOMATIC". your dial and bezel look great, the hands show some wear but if that bugs you it is a relatively inexpensive fix. The case could use a refinishing but that can be pricey. I would have a watchmaker check it out though because it looks like there is some corrosion on the rotor.

Here's mine - I currently have it on the Hirsch Robby strap:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mariosegarra likes this.
  7. Mariosegarra Jun 2, 2015

Base1000, Misterred, Jkbenn02, Andy K, thank you very much for your opinions and for all the data, for sharing some of your knowledge! Its great to learn about the watch, maybe ill go for servicing the watch, in a month or two, one courious thing about this watch it'S that when ive research the date of production of the watch, and found that was made in 1972, i couldnt believed that! Its a timepiece that maybe seemna little vintage, but not from the 70's IMO thats a point for the very good design of Omega! Greeting from Mexico

Andy K likes this.
  8. Mariosegarra Jun 2, 2015

Andy K, Jkbenn02, very well cared, manteined your watches, it looks great in other colors too!, and with the black band! Congrats for your watches!

Andy K likes this.
  9. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Jun 2, 2015

It's quite a nice looking watch, original bracelet bits or not.