Forums Latest Members

Opinion - Suisse Chronograf Antimagnetic 18k

1. bananow Dec 26, 2015

Hi everyone,

I am an amateur watch enthusiast and I've recently come across the watch below online in my country - entitled Suisse Chronograf Antimagnetic 18k. From what I've read Suisse Chronograf watches are pretty common but on the other hand when I searched online I found them selling at anywhere between 500 - 2000 USD (some pieces even multiples of that). I'm curious at what more experienced users have to say about the one I found, if I should consider a purchase and what price is reasonable (no price was indicated). It will need a new crystal, the dial seems to be okay, a new strap and maybe some polishing.

Unfortunately I don't have any more info than the title and these photos - anyway will ask for more info from the owner (e.g. if it watch works).

I appreciate any replies.

Tom

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg
  2. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Dec 26, 2015

Welcome to the forum Tom.

These watches were put together very cheaply and were not really designed to last as long as they have. We have discussed these a few times in the past but essentially, the gold content is small because the case is hollow and relies on two base metal rings (one on either side of the movement) and a base metal inner case back for the structural integrity. If you do buy this Venus 170 powered watch, t is important to make sure that the inner case back is still present because the outer (gold) case back is very thin and prone to flexing - at which point it pops off.

Here is an earlier post with some photos to illustrate my point.

https://omegaforums.net/threads/and-what-did-you-buy-today.8930/page-27#post-144103

Value wise, I would not stray beyond the $500 ,ark myself.

MarcelGuinchard likes this.
  3. bananow Dec 30, 2015

Hi Stewart,

thank you so much for your reply. The other thread is fantastic, I read through it and I decided that I will not go after this particular piece. I'll be patient and wait for a better opportunity :)

Thank you for your insight!!