Forums Latest Members
  1. Prabstar1 Jan 21, 2018

Hi guys,

Found this vintage Online. Looks like an original dial although the hands seem to have some rust? Strap is after market. It is automatic movement.

Seller is from Japan, it is priced at around $400 USD.

Opinions please!!!

jap omega 1.jpg jap omega 2.jpg jap omega 3.jpg jap omega 4.jpg jap omega 5.jpg
  2. Seaborg Jan 21, 2018

The movement is really super dirty.

Needs a service !

Prabstar1 likes this.
  3. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jan 21, 2018

While a nice-looking watch, this one has issues.
    Note the corrosion of the case back, the signs of moisture entry, the corrosion of the movement, the rust/corrosion on the dial side in the area of the cannon pinion and the hands.

I fear this would be an expensive service and could only be improved to a certain extent (if you're lucky).

To me, an American market (OXG), gold filled, non-Omega cased 550 wouldn't be worth it.

Good luck, welcome to the forum and congratulations on asking first! Many don't and pay a tax.

4. GordonL Jan 21, 2018

also evidence of rotor rub on the case back and rotor itself...

m84, Looneytoons and Prabstar1 like this.
  5. Prabstar1 Jan 21, 2018

Thanks, Uncle Buck. I'm very new to this. I have actually been considering buying a redial. Though the forum guys are telling me it renders the watch worthless, I am drawn to it and just want it as my everyday watch. The vintage purists are frowning though, understandably...

dan7800 likes this.
  6. dan7800 Jan 21, 2018

Rule #1: Buy what you like

SuperHero, mydeafcat and Prabstar1 like this.
  7. Prabstar1 Jan 21, 2018

Thanks Dan, I just fear that I may get left with a piece of junk that has had its problems covered up with paint.

8. dan7800 Jan 21, 2018

Look a lot, buy a little. Patience is key.

Keep in mind that virtually all pieces are going to require service. Even if the seller says "serviced", unless you really trust them you should consider it unserviced. You just want to avoid the expensive kind :)

mydeafcat and Prabstar1 like this.
  9. Prabstar1 Jan 21, 2018

the one I want is has been called "garish" - it is a red dial on a gold case. South Korean job. But for some reason I am just very drawn to it.

10. mydeafcat Jan 21, 2018

Welcome!

One more Rule #1 - buy the seller. https://omegaforums.net/forums/watch-seller-profiles/

Bear in mind: 100% feedback on eBay means bupkes. I returned a lovely eBay-purchased Seamaster De Ville to a ‘Bay seller who is ‘well known’ and ‘respected’ yet still mailed me a watch with a busted crown. Then blamed me! Hang here on OF. Watch, learn, miss out, learn even more.

11. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jan 21, 2018

Nothing wrong with that, Brother, only here we are a collector's forum and worship originality.

While a redial may be worthless as a collectible, it can be a fine daily wearer that looks great without having to worry about every bump and scratch.

We strive to educate, be educated, preserve and enjoy.

12. Prabstar1 Jan 21, 2018

thanks, that makes me feel a lot better. much appreciated

13. Prabstar1 Jan 21, 2018

thanks this is very useful!

mydeafcat likes this.
  14. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jan 21, 2018

Gold plated stainless steel back US market Omegas are at the bottom of the desirability (value) scale even when in good condition.

15. mydeafcat Jan 21, 2018

Glad to assist. I’m still very much a newbie around here, myself; everyday brings insight and a clear indication of how much there is to learn - and how little I know!

As a noob, I’ve been lucky. My first purchase was here on OF (1963 Seamaster 30). It’s not pristine (some pitting on the hands), but the linen dial is perfect and lugs are sharp. Movement is very clean, too. I love it. And as mentioned, I got a refund on eBay; it was not without its stress, however. Remember: the so-called ‘noob tax’ is paid either in dollars or cortisol. Or both. Like me, you have found the finest community of experts to guide you.

16. Prabstar1 Jan 21, 2018

This is the one that has caught my eye - but the forum is not on board lol

image.jpeg
  17. dan7800 Jan 21, 2018

If you like it, buy it.

mydeafcat, Prabstar1 and GordonL like this.
  18. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Jan 21, 2018

::facepalm2:: Whatever catches your eye, Brother!

images.jpg

Prabstar1 and mydeafcat like this.
  19. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Jan 21, 2018

The forum is not who will be wearing it and (presumably) looking at it on a daily basis - YOU will ;)

Not all redials are the work if sharpie wielding, sausage-fingered incompetents, and in my humble opinion, the watch you have pictured looks attractive (I have no idea if it is mechanically sound). It never left the Omega factory looking like that, and you'll not get many takers from the collector community if you later decide to sell it here.

But there is a wider (some would say less discerning) market for such redials. If there wasn't, nobody would produce them. Go into such a purchase with your eyes open, and after digesting and weighing all advice.

At the end of the day, it's your money you'll be spending and your wrist it will be sitting on.

Prabstar1 and mydeafcat like this.
  20. alam Jan 21, 2018

The only way to "Unlike" is to "Like" first... so you may have got a momentarily "Like" alert that seconds later disappeared :p

Prabstar1 likes this.