Forums Latest Members
  1. Fuchs Dec 16, 2018

Hey Guys,

I hope everyone is ready for Christmas and is excitedly expecting hopefully many watch gifts.
    I'm looking for a gift for myself for quite a while now and after the super kind help of the members here on my last find a couple of months ago (which I didn't buy) I kept reading and reading and browsing and browsing.

Since I definitely read more than once that it's a stupid idea to not have someone here look over some pictures before actually buying it, I was wondering if someone would be so kind and share their opinion on the following piece.

Here is what I "know" from the offer on ebay:
    All parts seem correct and in good condition for this 145.022-68. Crown (+ potentially pushers) and Bracelet (1175) are incorrect and the case has been polished (don't know whether to an acceptable degree though). The movement has been service by STS in 2017. The bezel is not top notch, but not too bad either in my opinion.

Any guidance highly appreciated!

w1.jpg w2.jpg w3.jpg w4.jpg w5.jpg w6.jpg w7.jpg w8.jpg w9.jpg w10.jpg

2. JanV Dec 16, 2018

In my eyes this looks quite ok actually. The movement still has its original bridge with rounded corners, metal brake, serial correct or close for a -68. Dial, hands and pushers look ok but the DON has seen some days hard at work. Crown is most likely a service replacement. The case (especially the brushing) has been badly done, so I would recommend to send it for service and a very very gentle refurbishment to a professional watchmaker. Then off course the price is important, how much is the seller asking for it? And is the watch coming with the bracelet or the strap as you posted two different sets of pictures. Any pics of the strap, endlinks and clasp?

Davidt likes this.
  3. Fuchs Dec 16, 2018

Thanks @JanV!
    Watch would come with Bracelet for about 7500 USD. Sorry, don't have pictures of it for now :(

4. padders Oooo subtitles! Dec 16, 2018

There is to my eye a suspicion that the hands were relumed. Have you seen the STS paperwork? If so it may mention this.

Edited Dec 16, 2018
  5. siguzzi Dec 16, 2018

The left side of the cases is badly finished. Dial looks very nice. Serial is right for a -68 produced in 1969.
    Color of the hands looks unfamiliar.
    The start of production of the 1175 is sometimes dated to 1969. It is not totally untemporay. Check if it's long enough. Getting links is nearly impossible.

flqt-9000 likes this.
  6. fskywalker Dec 16, 2018

It looks nice. Is the seller reputable? Does he accepts returns?

7. Davidt Dec 16, 2018

Here's my thoughts:

Dial looks original and is what I would expect to see on this ref.

Case has been very poorly redone. One side is wonky and needs redoing, so allowances need to be made for this.

I'm starting a piece of work on crowns and from my early investigations, it's either correct or an early service replacement.

Bezel is average.

Bracelet is nice but I'm not convinced it should original to a -68.

If it comes with service receipt and if the case wasn't so bad the price would be ok. However, with that case I'd want it cheaper, or preferably wait for a better case.

Spacefruit likes this.
  8. Fuchs Dec 16, 2018

Very hard to say - we wrote a few messages back and forth, but difficult to say. My feeling is that the seller is legit and actually seems like a nice guy, but my feeling doesn't count much. No returns unfortunately.

9. Fuchs Dec 16, 2018

Noob Question: What does poorly redone mean? Is it about the area that is highlighted by the flash in the 7th image?

10. Fuchs Dec 16, 2018

I actually like the color - but if it has been relumed, that would be a pity… I'll check!

11. JanV Dec 16, 2018

Looks like someone went on this case with sandpaper. :whipped: It can still be “saved” by a professional watch maker.

005E41B3-D6C2-4DE9-B731-BD5B3E879E35.jpeg 59E14443-A478-41B9-B321-32C524F8A091.jpeg
  12. Davidt Dec 16, 2018

Look at picture 4 in particular. The line between the side and the top of the case looks like a drunk walking home on Christmas Eve. The rest of the profile, even where it is straight, isn't correct either.

It will need repolishing by someone who knows what they're doing. This will cost at least a couple of hundred and may need to be incorporated into a service. Even then, you may lose more metal than is ideal to bring it back to life.

This is worst case scenario but you need to allow for that. Unless you have an emotional tie to the watch, have fallen in love with the dial or it's a rare reference, I would never advocate taking a gamble where in the best case you only come out even.

13. jimmyd13 Dec 16, 2018

Look at the 7 o clock lug. There are two vertical scratches left on the case. To the right of those marks is the original line of the case. To the left of them are where it has been roughly polished. Presumably this is an amateur effort to remove some deep scars.

Now, bear in mind that the collective here are collectors and the vast majority want "original". Dirty, scratched, dented original is preferable to this state. The real question is how you feel about it. Now, it wouldn't stop me buying the watch but it would make me question the selling price. I would be rating that case as worthless. I wouldn't refinish it either. It can never be correct again. Instead, I'd price in a replacement midcase. They're not impossible to find by any means but neither are they cheap.

14. Fuchs Dec 16, 2018

Guys, as always, this is insanely helpful! Deepest appreciation and gratitude.
    The seller is pretty firm on the price and I can't really say whether I mind the state of the case or not (for that I'd have to see it in person). Problem is, once you know, you know… So no Christmas gift for me this year. But better than a regrettable purchase :)

Thanks a lot guys! (And if anyone has something similar to sell, let me know ;)

15. siguzzi Dec 16, 2018

Mine has got a good home. So I can't help you in that way. But good look :thumbsup:

IMG_20180410_100321_HDR.jpg

Aludic likes this.
  16. Fuchs Dec 16, 2018

::love::