Opinion on Ed White handset

Posts
9
Likes
7
Hi everyone, my name is Paul and I am asking for help on the originality of the handset of my 105.003-64. Based on service history (a watchmaker receipt from the previous owner), I know for sure that the hands were “repaired” in the past, however I am still not sure whether the chronograph hand is an original from the 60s or a later replacement. As far as I can tell, it has the correct length so it is not the slightly shorter luminova version but maybe there are other versions of the replacement with the correct length as well?

I also did my homework and took a couple of lume shots to compare the dial and hands with other Tritium and Luminova watches. I am comparing three vintage Speedmasters and a Tudor Black Bay 36 with Luminova dial and hands. It is a sequence of photos just after exposure to UV light, after 30 seconds and after 60 seconds. The watch I am asking about is on the left and clearly those hands were touched up as parts of the minutes and hour hand as well as the chrono seconds hand glow slightly brighter and longer than the plots on the dial. The good news is that the glow is almost completely gone after 1 minute indicating it wasn’t fixed with luminova I guess.

Any opinion is welcome and will be helpful - Thanks.

 
Posts
3,615
Likes
7,838
I think hands are earlier tritium service hands. They look a bit white but in good shape I wouldn’t worry about them it looks good.
 
Posts
1,555
Likes
6,788
First off; beautifully documented question. Well done. The hands don’t seem far off from my 105.003-63, they might well be original. Either way, it looks like a very nice specimen!

If, however, you’re really worried an out the originality of the hands, I’d question the white as much or even more than the lume. What do the sides of the hands look like? Fully white, it bare metal with some small white paint (spray) spots?
 
Posts
9
Likes
7
Thanks for the quick and helpful responses! I like the watch quite a lot despite the clean/white hands which takes away a bit of its vintage charm in my opinion. It came with a 7912/6 bracelet stamped 1/66 as well as a bit of the initial owners history making it am honest watch to wear from time to time. Taken together, your answers are reassuring that the hands are pretty much fine and I am not sure whether I want to go deeper down the rabbit hole regarding this topic.

@Aludic - I tried to add as much information as I could and thought the lume shots were a nice illustration; glad you like the presentation. As said above I m not sure I want to dig much deeper into this. Also I am afraid I don't have a camera able to capture such details...
 
Posts
9
Likes
7
But I have another question regarding this watch and the crystal. I already brought this up before, however wasn't very successful in getting any answers (https://omegaforums.net/threads/speedmaster-a1-crystal-versus-newer-versions.181791/). I took a couple of additional photos that show the differences in the overall appearance of the watch/dial across watches with different crystals.

Shown are a 105.012-63. the 105.003-64 and a 145.022-68. In my opinion the hour plots of the two watches to the left and the right appear much longer/larger than the one in the middle. I tried to indicate this by green arrows. At the bottom it's the same watches from the side with the crystal height indicated. While the middle crystal is an original A1 I was wondering if the smaller dial appearance is a) due to differences in the crystals (A1 vs later ones) or b) due to heavy polishing (reduced crystal height as indicated).

Visually I like the larger appearing plots more and was thinking multiple times to replace the old A1 with a new one, however my watchmaker is telling me that the A1 is worn down and he most likely would destroy it when pushing it out of the case. This is what is preventing me from replacement as I also want to keep the watch in its original state as long as possible. I couldn't find anything useful on this topic on the forum or anywhere else so I am interested what other people think.

 
Posts
1,902
Likes
3,666
Cool presentation and watch collection !
Could be due to paralax distortion and/or one lower crystal but the middle one does seem to have less lume.
 
Posts
207
Likes
243
They all have uneven length lume in that photo. The -68 has much longer lume on the left side compared to the right. And the opposite effect for the -63.

So I would guess it is the difference in angle or thickness of the crystal edge when viewed from different positions that creates that effect.
 
Posts
9
Likes
7
I agree that there is less lume on the Ed White but don't see how this would affect plot length. Also I understand that optical distortions will have a pretty large effect on how the plots come out visually. However, when I picked up the Ed White and put it next to the other watches in direct comparison my first impression was 'wow that dial looks a bit too small'.

So without going too much into the details of above photos which should be seen as simple illustrations of the effect I was wondering if other members also 'see' this in some of their watches? In these 3 watches to me the effect is obvious independent of the viewing angle. Also the step in the Ed White dial is not visible as pronounced as in the other 2 watches.
 
Posts
216
Likes
207
Your picture of 3 watches side by side negates any sort of objective comparison due to varying angles of attack through the crystals.

If you want to push your own investigation - Fix the camera in place, and lock the focus/settings so you are able to take the exact same picture.
Place your first watch directly centered in the camera. (cameras often offer overlays with various framing guidelines to help).
Take a picture of each watch in the same place and compare.
This will help get you to a better place to compare but it still wont be a true representation of the plot size as the crystals have different optical properties.

You will need to image the dials unobstructed if you truly want to compare objectively.
 
Posts
9
Likes
7
I totally agree that this the way to go - maybe I find some time to do the comparison in a more scientific way. I am not trying to say that these plots are substantially different in size in reality, it's just about the optical distortions and as I like the stronger distorted look (larger) more I was thinking to sacrifice the old A1 and get a new crystal installed.