Forums Latest Members

Only for "Newbies" - 50 posts or less. Education content?

1. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Sep 25, 2016

You're interested in vintage Omegas (who isn't!).

You see one on eBay and think of buying it.

So tell me about this onePurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network?

Screen Shot 2016-09-25 at 7.56.58 PM.png

2. Greatpa Sep 25, 2016

Reference 166.0174 seems to have a day indicator as well. Incorrect hands and dial. Movement is the cal. 1022 with day-date.

JimInOz likes this.
  3. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Sep 25, 2016

Probably should say Geneve on the dial not Seamaster and like @Greatpa noted. I think he nailed most of it.

4. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Sep 25, 2016

Oh, BTW, I could name quite a few people who aren't interested in old Omegas starting with my spouse...

ulackfocus, ahartfie and Mad Dog like this.
  5. Greatpa Sep 25, 2016

Maybe your spouse could buy a new one http://www.omegawatches.com/ ::psy::

ahartfie likes this.
  6. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Sep 25, 2016

In my dreams, pal...

Besides, I find vintage more alluring.

Greatpa likes this.
  7. Philliboy Sep 25, 2016

Anyone tell me if this is genuine?

SAM_7187.JPG SAM_7191.JPG SAM_7196.JPG SAM_7193.JPG
  8. Greatpa Sep 25, 2016

Looks OK to me, but then again.. (notice the heading for this thread ;))

9. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Sep 25, 2016

Nice ladies watch.

Now if I bought that for my wife she'd be OK with vintage Omegas.

It's different when I buy for her somehow...

Mad Dog and Jwit like this.
  10. Philliboy Sep 25, 2016

Ha Ha thx looked ok to me too but always like a 2nd opinion!! got it at a car boot sale for £250.00 I own other Seamasters and it felt right and I got the sellers ID and address etc so cant be bad. Thanks again

11. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Sep 25, 2016

I just woke up and realized my mistake. My apologies to the OP.

I still feel like a n00b even though my post count is high. I just can't STFU...

12. GuiltyBoomerang Sep 25, 2016

Dial is also a reprint. Edges look like they have seen some polish.

13. arcadelt Sep 25, 2016

(As I write I hope my post count is still less than 50)

Not sure of the point of this post. Testing us is not educating us, but if I was interested in that kind of watch, I certainly would do my due diligence first, which might result in posting a few targeted questions on the forum. That said, at that price I would take a punt, especially since I am covered by a very sound safety net through eBay and have almost noting to lose.

14. GuiltyBoomerang Sep 25, 2016

One problem is is that many sellers tend to have a clause of "Refunds only if watch is not as described" and can potentially refuse to refund you if you simply change your mind. Another point is whether you are buying the watch to collect or if you are buying it because you like it. You can do both; buying a watch simmply because it looks good will in the eyes of many be fine. Purists however would point out flaws, which may have you questioning whether the purchase was worth it or not.

This post is teaching about flaws that are relatively commonplace in watches floating on the bay. It takes time, a trained eye, knowledge, to find the deals which are value for money and are in good or better original condition - because that will be one of the things collectors want.

15. dialstatic Sep 25, 2016

I don't really see it as a test. As a self-confessed noob, I thorougly enjoy these posts. To me, it's a fun exercise to try and spot what's wrong at first glance, and then after some research.

Edited Sep 25, 2016
  16. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Sep 25, 2016

1. It's a bit of fun (which is what this watch collecting malarkey is meant to be all about)
    2. The answers reveal themselves in the thread
    3. The watch gurus mop up any bits that get missed
    And Nobody said an education was free...;)

17. Philliboy Sep 25, 2016

Was never trying to educate anyone was simply looking for some help soooo sorry for posting

18. Philliboy Sep 25, 2016

Thx matey all I was looking for was a bit of confidence that this was ok cheers

19. Philliboy Sep 25, 2016

Whats a reprint?

20. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Sep 25, 2016

Well, testing is educating. And the point of the post and the object was to get people thinking about what they see and what they cannot see.

The watch in question stands out as a great example of a franken, whether intentional or not, a Seamaster usually commands more than a Genève.

Probably why the dial was replaced with an incorrect date only Seamaster version, which incidentally is too small for the watch so there may be other problems like dial stickers lurking below. Whether the dial is a re-paint or not is irrelevant, it's just wrong.

The bracelet looks to be very worn at the head which presents another problem. Integrated case/bracelet combos make it hard to find spares if this one should break and totally preclude using a standard bracelet or strap.

Significant corrosion in the caseback sealing area indicates to me that the watch hasn't been serviced much in its 43 year lifetime, the condition of the caliber 1022 also points to this, notice the worn rotor and corresponding marks on the inside of the caseback.

While looking at the caseback we can see the reference numbers, specifically 366 0833. This reference can be used to check on the Omega Vintage Database which describes the watch as so:

Screen Shot 2016-09-26 at 12.47.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-09-26 at 12.48.31 PM.png

So, with all of the information before you in the "test case", a reasonably minor amount of research would tell a newcomer that this is one to pass on.

Greatpa likes this.