Forums Latest Members

One Year With The Omega Speedmaster Calibre 321 — Would I Buy It Again?

1. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday May 11, 2021

[​IMG]
    When Omega showed me the 39.7mm Speedmaster Calibre 321 reference 311.30.40.30.01.001, I wasn’t left with much to think about. I knew I needed it. And so it happened that a year ago, I received the message that mine was ready. I picked up the Speedmaster Calibre 321, had it resized for my wrist and started […]

Visit One Year With The Omega Speedmaster Calibre 321 — Would I Buy It Again? to read the full article.

RMA, johnborsellino, marcn and 11 others like this.
  2. jaguar11 May 11, 2021

Nice read!!

Robert-Jan likes this.
  3. Travelller May 11, 2021

Nice ownership feedback, @Robert-Jan ::psy::

I'm happy to read that you're (still) happy with this jewel of a watch :thumbsup:

I too, see it as "...the crown jewel" of my [Speedmaster] collection ::love::

Robert-Jan likes this.
  4. stevec14 May 11, 2021

Great read. I wear mine most of the time and it’s incredibly comfortable. Honestly, it works great on the omega trilogy straps too!

I take your point about the 3861. I’ve owned lots of speedies and liked them enough but have always managed to move them on. This is the only one that’s felt really special - probably due to the finishing, the ceramic, the bracelet etc.

I wouldn’t necessarily rule it out as someone’s first to be honest, but clearly get that it’s a lot of money in comparison.

Travelller and Robert-Jan like this.
  5. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday May 11, 2021

Thanks!

6. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday May 11, 2021

Thanks, yes I love it! I think in general, it is between my Speedmaster Calibre 321 and the Moonshine. Then I try to put some other ones in the mix, like the ST1 and ST2. I am not traveling at the moment, so I don't "need" to wear other brands right now to please some brands (or not piss them off ;-)) so a lot of Omegas at the moment.

johnborsellino, Elitr6 and Travelller like this.
  7. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday May 11, 2021

Thanks for your nice feedback. Surely I wouldn't rule it out as someone's first Speedmaster or only Speedmaster, but given the price and value for money of the 3861, I think that would make more sense. But if you want one, and don't want or own any other Speedy (yet), more power to you! :)

stevec14 and Travelller like this.
  8. itsalex May 11, 2021

Thanks for writing this up after a year of ownership and wear! Great to hear the fauxtina is subtle, and you still found it in your rotation quite a bit even with standard & vintage Moonwatches in your collection.

Robert-Jan likes this.
  9. keepsonticking May 11, 2021

Glad you like it, but I'll never understand an homage Speedmaster at that price...limited or not. Of course, the Snoopy watches have me just as puzzled.

Robert-Jan likes this.
  10. SSGMT May 11, 2021

Nice read! Great to hear that one year on, you are still enjoying it. My 321 is quickly becoming my favorite, it wears so comfortably and that movement is a masterpiece!

Robert-Jan likes this.
  11. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday May 12, 2021

I've touched upon the topic of why it is so expensive. Watches and the pricing, in general, is an interesting topic, it is mainly about whether it is worth it to you. To me, it definitely is. However, I also know that the real price of a watch is completely different. With a retailer margin already at 50% for most watch brands (exceptions there, and I know that this Speedmaster Calibre 321 also has a different margin), the other 50% is with the brand. And within that 50% there's the actual production cost of the watch (10-20%), R&D, staff, and of course profit and taxes ;-)....

12. YY77 May 12, 2021

To add : different countries can have different RRP, i.e. the new teal dialed Carrera is/was priced € 1K higher in Sweden compared to NL.

13. keepsonticking May 12, 2021

I'm thinking a "speedmaster" with a cal 321 (latter day) and a dial with Snoopy AND Woodstock might retail for over 20k usd. I'm picturing a dial with subdials as follows: constant seconds = Snoopy, Min. recorder = Woodstock, Hr recorder = Peppermint Patty. Although, a central Snoopy with the hr and min hands as Snoopy's own limbs (ala vintage Snoopy watches) and with Linus, CB, and Lucy in the subdials would also be HOT. A Pigpen homage would also be nice. With the script on the dial "It sort of makes you want to treat me with a little more respect, doesn't it."

14. pdxleaf ... May 12, 2021

As background, I like the Ed White, vintage and new. Given a choice between a beat up vintage at 14k or the new, I think I would buy new.

The price is okay if it was in isolation and like you say, there was no other moonwatch to compare in price and quality. My main hurdle is that a little over a year ago I purchased a brand new moonwatch (1861 hesalite bracelet) for a third discount off of retail from an AD. Now, prices are up and discounts are down or gone.

Omega spoiled me/us with great watches that were inexpensive compared to comparable other brands, as well as offered discounts. It is hard to adjust to this new world of higher prices, little to no discount and waiting lists.

I miss the old most inexpensive luxury watch brand.

Pius XIII, Travelller and Robert-Jan like this.
  15. Robert-Jan #SpeedyTuesday May 12, 2021

Yes, me too. And it goes for almost any watch brand out there that is considered (or consider themselves) as a luxury brand. I don't think it will be reversed... The days of these brands creating toolwatches etc are long gone...

Travelller and pdxleaf like this.
  16. Om3ga321 May 12, 2021

Since receiving my 321 in September 2020,it has been my go to watch.
    It's even replaced my Daytona which I have worn since 1996.
    The comfort of the bracelet and easy to read dial with that great looking lume gives me a sense of pride every time I look down at my wrist.
    I know it was expensive but worth every dollar.

17. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! May 12, 2021

Have had mine for a few months, and it's been a fast favorite. In my view, the by far best vintage remake homage or whatever you want to call it Omega has done so far. And leaving that aside, a great watch on its own merits.

Home run, touchdown, goal - all of the above. Extra points if the designers had given us even just one more measly clasp adjustment.

All that and so affordable too! (compared to the platinum version):p
    321 05122021.jpg

waggy, SSGMT, marcn and 2 others like this.
  18. stevec14 May 12, 2021

Totally agreed. Great photo!

Darlinboy likes this.
  19. lightspire May 12, 2021

always a great read - thank you!

20. watchfisher May 13, 2021

Robert-Jan,
    Excellent read, as was your initial post when you first received it. A 321 has been on my radar since mid last summer.

I'd love to add a 321 to the collection, so what puzzles me is that if a customer has the funds, there still seems to be a labyrinthine route to acquiring one. Despite dozens of inquiries to ADs, OBs, there remains no formal waiting list. No acknowledgment of how serious one's place 'in line' is taken.

Since the 321 was 'released', I've acquired several higher end watches (and enjoyed that as well). Acknowledging there is limited production, trying to purchase one seems like a fools game - or perhaps I am too poor or haven't spent enough funds at my OB.

Yes, there are 321 listings on that watch app, but I refuse to pay 5-10k over list.

My point is, I have the funds for purchase, though would rather not F around with the games Omega is playing WRT the 321. Let me on a waiting list properly, or you have lost my respect as a luxury brand.

Edited May 14, 2021