One year on OF and then this Seamaster 2577 Chronometre as an "anniversary gift"

Hi all,

I signed up in October last year seeking advice on overpolished and/or redialed POS (plural).

Fast forward one year and I managed to purchase the following Seamaster 2577 Chronometre from the grandson of the original owner. He was offering it on a local auction site describing it merely as "Omega Seamaster Automatik". When I saw the pictures I immediately knew I was onto something big. When I picked it up, I was surprised to even find it in the original box, which was not part of the deal description.

Here are the pictures of beauty:
IMG_6001 Kopie.jpg IMG_6002 Kopie.jpg IMG_6003 Kopie.jpg IMG_6004 Kopie.jpg IMG_6005 Kopie.jpg

The two-tone dial is just spotless and features many other elements that gets me excited: the golden furniture, the 3-6-9-12 arabic hour markers, the raised beveled other hour markers, the applied minute markers rather than just hash marks, the cross hair, and finally the hooked S in Seamaster.

The case is unpolished and features strongly chamfered beefy lugs. Many thanks to @seekingseaquest for pointing out that this type of lugs indicate a later variation of the 2577 reference. The serial number will provide more clarity on the production year. However, I was not able to open the caseback with a rubber ball and I don't dare using a case opener on this one. So I will take it to my watchmaker as soon as possible.
I know that many don't like personalized engravings on the caseback. However, in this case I think it's very well executed and is an integral part of the story of this watch and its original owner. According to the seller, his grandfather worked as a technician at this Saudi conglomerate for 10 years and was gifted this watch as a recognition for his service.

So, it's been quite a journey over the last year, and I wouldn't have been able to spot and assess this watch without the knowledge gathered here on this fine forum and its members. So my thanks go to the founders and the mods of OF who made it possible for us members to exchange knowledge and learn from each other.
My special thanks go to the following members who have accompanied me through my learning journey thus far or have offered me buying advice on one or several occasions through PM: @MtV, @Rudi99 ,@LesXL, @seekingseaquest, @Peemacgee, @cristos71, @Tony C., @Shabbaz, @Passover.

Edit: I was afraid I would forget someone. Also many thanks to @Spruce and @TexOmega. Apologies to anyone who I might have forgotten as well.
Edited:

Holy smokes!
It's getting harder and harder to find these 1950s Seamaster Chronometres in such impeccable condition.

Enjoy your new piece and may you wear it in good health!

Nice one. Congrats!!

I am not sure about hour and minute hands, is it original?

Nice one. Congrats!!

I am not sure about hour and minute hands, is it original?
Original. The lume plots on the dial are sort of hidden in the markers, towards the outer edge.

Damn that's hot! Great story too

One dibs to rule them all

Spectacular! This is they type of story (yours not the watches) I love to see here, you truly did learn how to fish.

And I agree, the back engraving is beautiful and would never touch it- it really does add interest to the watch.

Spectacular! This is they type of story (yours not the watches) I love to see here.
And I agree, the back engraving is beautiful and would never touch it- it really does add interest to the watch.

this
And congratulations @iamvr , the Seamaster is quite extraordinary.

Spectacular! This is they type of story (yours not the watches) I love to see here, you truly did learn how to fish.

Many thank @JwRosenthal for your kind words. I want to extend my special thanks to you as well. You played a decisive role for me to stay on OF during my early days. As it happens to many new members I posted stuff in the wrong thread and was roasted alive :D. I was on the verge of thinking "do I really need this?", but you took the time to explain to me how things work here.

what a watch!

I guess it houses a cal. 354

My guess as well. Or could it even house a cal. 352 or is this example too late? Well, I will find out once I've taken it to the watchmaker to open the case for me.

Many thank @JwRosenthal for your kind words. I want to extend my special thanks to you as well. You played a decisive role for me to stay on OF during my early days. As it happens to many new members I posted stuff in the wrong thread and was roasted alive :D. I was on the verge of thinking "do I really need this?", but you took the time to explain to me how things work here.
Glad you stayed. I had a rocky start here myself- got into a spat with a few “veteran”members who decided to have fun at the expense of another newbie and I couldn’t sit by and watch it. He (who is a very active member here) and I have become friends and those “veterans”…well, i don’t hear much from them anymore. There were many who were very helpful and kind to me when I was new and this place has shown itself to be a haven for truly wonderful people- not just watch collectors.

We all have to start somewhere and I don’t believe there is any such thing as a stupid question in watch collecting- other than “is this a good investment”.

Amazing watch there and great progress in just a year :).
Looking forward to see your watch box October 2022.

Cheers, Kapka

Awesome example...you can stop looking for this ref now as you won't find better than that! ::love::

Nice watch!
Well, OF is great, but you are definitely a good student :)