Forums Latest Members

One grail vs one collection

1. llvhhui Mar 27, 2021

Given the same budget, would you rather have one super grail or one collection with many cool pieces?

Tako Yaki and Alfy Forluck like this.
  2. YY77 Mar 27, 2021

The price of one grail would make me more uncomfortable wearing that piece in public than many pieces with the same total sum.

DaveK and airansun like this.
  3. BAJJ Mar 27, 2021

Definitely one collection with many cool pieces, that's what I am aiming for, I like the idea that my mood, what I'm planning to do, what I'm wearing etc. influences what watch I wear on a daily basis,

vintage hab, KP-99, DaveK and 4 others like this.
  4. Dan S Mar 27, 2021

For me, it would depend on the budget.

kov, Lucasssssss and Eve like this.
  5. Danwales Mar 27, 2021

Ahh, don't we all admire the " one watch guy" ,the old seadog who bought his Rolex on shore leave in 69 and has worn it ever since without thought. I have often thought about cashing in my modest collection for a second hand airking but I know I would miss fitting a watch with my mood.

Tako Yaki and Duracuir1 like this.
  6. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Mar 27, 2021

Depends on the grail. I like to be able to do things with my watches (ski, dive, swim etc) without any stress. Most grails are vintage...too much self-consciousness for preservation (custodianship duties). So I would go for a collection, and double the budget to include the grail :thumbsup:

Nathan1967, KP-99, DaveK and 5 others like this.
  7. SkunkPrince Mar 27, 2021

I have no grails. Watches are tools with neat technology.

I'd give up all but two for a good woman, though.

joeshoup, Fallout Boy, DaveK and 4 others like this.
  8. Paedipod Mar 27, 2021

Did that. Then the good woman became interested in watches.....

iamvr likes this.
  9. Marsimaxam Mar 27, 2021

"Variety's the very spice of life, that gives it all its flavor."
    William Cowper

vintage hab and Tako Yaki like this.
  10. timoss Mar 27, 2021

How could you have just one grail? It sounds like you are searching for a "cure" to your watch addition, and I'm pretty sure even if you snagged your super grail, the buzz would wear off and you'd still want more....

KP-99, Twocats, DaveK and 1 other person like this.
  11. SkunkPrince Mar 27, 2021

Perhaps not. Lots of people are done when they're done.

Twocats and Pun like this.
  12. madjestikmoose Can’t bat, can’t bowl Mar 27, 2021

One grail. I’m no collector.

13. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Mar 27, 2021

Grails are a myth. ::screwloose::

14. marcn Enough space to say witty Mar 27, 2021

A non-collector here, so my opinion is worth little in the spirt of this question -- but hey, is that going to stop me speaking up?! ;)

I've been a watch freak since childhood, but I'm a "serial monagamist" when it comes to them. Obsessive and over attentive during what often can be long periods of adoration; except for two of them that are keyed to significant life events, if I feel I've moved on from a once-beloved watch, it'll hang around a while, sure, but ultimately I always feel it just has to go. a) The capital can be made useful b) I'm just not a collector at heart and c) I'm definitely not a museum curator.

I always feel that if I own one, it has to on my wrist, and if it's not, it irks me in ways I can't entirely explain. I'm in rotations now with my 3861 and Explorer 1, just to give that swingers lifestyle a go, and so far they either don't know I'm cheating or they don't seem to care. :)

BAJJ likes this.
  15. khanmu Mar 27, 2021

The same “grail vs collection” thought recently crossed my mind, when I came across a nice “reasonably” priced Daytona 6263 - which would have required my to sell most of my collection to fund it. In the end I didn’t, as I like wearing different watches according to mood and activity....

Then again, as Mrs K kindly pointed out, I went from many girlfriends to one wife, and I’m perfectly happy...

Edited Mar 27, 2021
    Deafboy, DJG2645, Eve and 4 others like this.
  16. SkunkPrince Mar 27, 2021

Jealous! :)

17. SkunkPrince Mar 27, 2021

And how did a cup get the name of "grail" anyways?

Ah, those French...

18. High Hope Mar 27, 2021

I’m not a collector but have about a 8 watches that I like. Some of the weirdos don’t get used much (Memosail, anybody? How about a Dugena jump hour?) but Omega and IWC are always on my list to wear. And I wear them wherever and whenever I feel like it. I can’t imagine not having a choice among 2-4 watches that are all special to me.

Duracuir1 likes this.
  19. SkunkPrince Mar 27, 2021

I mostly wear my Omega, though I have a few others. I'm trying to work up the ambition to sell the not-Omega....

20. Alfy Forluck Mar 27, 2021

I spent a lot of time and money looking for grails in another field. Thought I'd never find them. Then I found one! The answer!! But, almost immediately realized I had already found a number of them over time :lol: Funny, I never did think of myself as a collector, though. I think the grail is a frame of mind rather than a thing.

What I'd like is one good, honest watch in ace shape and wearable all the time any time, plus a half dozen nice, older, more affordable, idiosyncratic pieces to choose from :) I am the have your cake and eat it type.

Fallout Boy, Pun and High Hope like this.