Forums Latest Members

One for the Aussies - quality service guy in Sydney ?

1. Aussie Jim Jul 7, 2015

I wonder if there is any good recommendation for a service guy in Sydney. Thomas Czibula in Pitt St has been suggested. I have a bit of a mixed bag of older and newer Omega and Tudor watches. I am not after rock bottom price, but quality thoughtful work.

Thank you

2. Dre Jul 7, 2015

Thomas is alright if you just need a regular service or cleaning. If you need to restore quite an old watch with some parts that are quite hard to locate, or have a project watch,, I would go to someone else as he doesn't seem keen to work on that sort of watch.

There's Karl at Master Watchmaking on Castlereagh st as well.

3. Aussie Jim Jul 7, 2015

Cheers and thank you. It is just for a service on a 60s Seamaster that has no obvious repair needs but has not been serviced in living memory. I might give Thomas a go.

4. Squirrel1 Jul 8, 2015

You may want to give Max Schweizer on George Street a shout. He serviced my pre-moon Speedmaster which must have been been sat untouched in my father in law's drawer for many years. Did a very good job.
    I've not used anyone else in my relatively short time in Sydney so can't comment on your other recommendations.

5. Aussie Jim Jul 8, 2015

Hey thanks to these suggestions. Well today I went and chatted to both Karl at Master Watchmaking and Thomas. I took them two watches that needed service. Both were thoughtful and seemed reasonable. Pricing very similar at about $450 for the 1964 Seamaster and $550 for the 1970 Speedmaster. I think I might give one to each and just see how it goes

6. kalvinoz Oct 30, 2017

Thread necromancy: I'm looking for a recommendation for a watchmaker in Sydney to service my Granddad's 1930's Omega pocket watch. The watch is in decent working order (i.e., it works), so I'm looking for a very basic service + clean (the case is completely black and the crystal is dull). While it's basic, I'd be happy to go with someone a bit more expensive if that reduces the risk of them damaging the watch.

Thanks!

7. Aussie Jim Oct 30, 2017

I have only had experience of the three in this thread. Since starting this my choice has become Max Schweizer in George St. I have had about 5 watches there, Omega, Tudor and Rolex and he and his team have done a good job. they have all come back better than they went and there have been no unexpected surprises. Much, much faster than the other two who seem to have enormous time delays.

Just today I have had a Glycine Airman come back from Adam Lewis in Perth (Photo 500 on OF). He has done an excellent job and the price, even after shipping both ways was pretty reasonable.

8. kalvinoz Oct 30, 2017

Thanks, mate! I was trying to find out which one you had landed on a couple of years later - really appreciate the quick response. I'll reach out to (the aptly named) Max Schweizer to see what they can do.