Forums Latest Members
  1. Selbo Apr 17, 2014

To this point, all of my watch purchases have been entirely on the Omega side of the house. I am by no means a serious collector and my pieces are very pedestrian compared to many of the postings I see in WRUW but I notice that most of you have pieces from multiple brands. Was this always the case? Did you focus on one brand in the early days? If so, what caused you to branch out? I see some beautiful stuff from Longines, UG, and Zenith but on many occasions I have to really study the dial of a Constellation to make an assessment on redial or not (and some I just don't know for sure). I'd be in way over my head trying to venture out to other brands. Am I the norm or the exception focusing on one brand only? Anyone else like me? Just curious...

2. ulackfocus Apr 17, 2014

As your knowledge and interest in the hobby grows, so will your drive to seek out other interesting brands, movements, dial techniques, etc. Each of us have our own reasons for buying & collecting what we collect and you'll find your own. You'll be influenced by a number of factors including other members. Experiment and remember that you're allowed to change direction - either a small detour down a side road or a complete 180˚ U-turn.

If anything, my focus has narrowed in recent years. I still have a watch or two with what I consider important calibers from certain brands, but I'm not all over the map buying whatever suits my fancy a particular day. Ultra-thin watches are important to me because they easily tuck under a shirt cuff and the best were the epitome of craftsmanship in the 50's through the 70's. Longines is my primary brand because they were the benchmark from the 40's into the 60's. My first goal was an example of each automatic series from WWII to the quartz crisis / revolution in the 70's, but it's now expanded to every possible variation of each series of calibers during that period. I'll always own a few Omegas because of their legendary reputation for quality mass production. IWC perpetually holds a couple spots in my box for their revolutionary Pellaton automatic winding system and their "working man's Patek" caliber 89 and it's ultra-thin derivative the caliber 401. I still have a soft spot for Bulova, Wittnauer, Benrus, and Seiko which are the brands I started with. I used to dig vintage Heuer and Breitling, and even though I still like them I don't collect them anymore - too many irons in the fire. The same can be said for vintage Hamilton - owned a few as my first "step up" from my early days, but haven't had the desire to delve into them again. (although a Bradford caliber 770 and some kind of 982 Medallion would be awesome)

Don't feel you have to go it alone. That's why we're all here. I knew squat about Zenith and a couple IllumZenati helped me score the perfect El Primero for me. There are plenty of members who ask me about Longines. We all ask for help from somebody who is more knowledgeable about a certain manufacturer when we want to venture into that brand's waters. It doesn't cost anything - we enjoy helping.

We could use an Eterna expert. There's only a handful of us that own them, and combined we really only have a spattering of information. Wanna apply for the position? ;)

3. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Apr 17, 2014

I am also one brand vintage watch collector, even now only focusing to constellation line and speedy pro only. Focus helps to build spidey sense faster. However from time to time some other brand attract me (such as jlc or longines). That's when I sought other brand experts in this forum. Boy they are a very professional and kind enabler....

4. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Apr 18, 2014

One brand for me - vintage omega. The brand has enough variety that it's like having multiple brands under one roof. Taking into account the variety of movements, dials, cases and hands it wouldn't be an exaggeration to say that there are tens of thousands of distinct omega watches produced in the past century.

5. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Apr 18, 2014

Timex man.....I like a watch that can be used as a hammer...... or shim under the leg of a wobbly chair..... or land fill

CdnWatchDoc likes this.
  6. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Apr 18, 2014

If a Timex takes a licking and keeps on ticking in a landfill, does it make a sound when no one is there?

Fritz likes this.
  7. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Apr 18, 2014

Wow! profound Zen like thoughts...... what have you been smoking?

8. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Apr 18, 2014

....dude!
    That's on a different forum, maaaan!

9. JohnSteed Apr 19, 2014

No such thing, I think, as a one brand collector. Though that's how I started. Then, once you've been bitten by the collecting bug, it's inevitable that after seeing what others have, one's interest may broaden. I'm still discovering via this forum a few brands which I never heard of before. Really, it comes down to what you hear which 'calls out to you' whether visually or otherwise. That could be one brand but chances are, interest may broaden. My two cents

10. Hijak Apr 19, 2014

I have to agree John, after seeing some of the incredible watches from other brands on this forum...well lets just say it is a very slippery slope!::jumpy::

JohnSteed likes this.
  11. Watchguy31-us Apr 19, 2014

Omega is a very attractive vintage brand to collect. Find another in house chronometer on the market for under 1000.

The issue I have had with "collecting" one brand is that I like variety too much. I want to read about JLC's history (for example) and feel like part of it.

12. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 19, 2014

I find collecting avenues change with experience.
    I collect vintage watches from a great range of brands for movement types and makers ( last great piece was a pure Schild movement so a Girrard Perragaux was needed)
    Yet when i buy new in the box i buy from my thoughts on iconic watches (Speedmaster Moon, Tag Monaco)

13. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Apr 19, 2014

Erk! One might as well say Swatch Speedmaster or LVMH Primero...

14. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Apr 19, 2014

Yes I love my swatch speedmaster pro.

JohnSteed likes this.
  15. Ru4scuba Apr 19, 2014

I was a pure Omega man for years...then something jumped at me about the Bell and Ross brand and I bought a Blue Ceramic because it was so wildly different

[​IMG]

Then I wanted a GMT function and for that, I wanted to go with the brand that invented the complication but the GMT Master didn't suit because I'm not a pilot, so I chose something similar...

[​IMG]

In sum, I guess I branched out because I wanted something different to spice up the collection and I was blessed with an understanding wife :). But if there was to be just one....it would be this.

[​IMG]

Even tough it's only ETA 2892...it was my first real watch and a gift for our wedding...it's the only one I have I'd classify as irreplaceable.

16. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 19, 2014

More to do with the square shape, purchased nearly 10 years ago.

TAG.jpg

17. ulackfocus Apr 20, 2014

Hey now, there's no reason to think of an ETA movement as a lower class caliber. Many companies only wish they could be as consistent in quality and performance as ETA.

JohnSteed likes this.
  18. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Apr 20, 2014

Well - for example - there's Longines with the Ultrachrons, GP Gyromatics, and occasionally Zenith (with the Martel-based calibres, not the cal 135). Junghans for something more obscure. And if you want to go way below $1k...

[​IMG]

Fritz, JohnSteed and ulackfocus like this.
  19. JohnSteed Apr 20, 2014

:thumbsup:

20. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Apr 20, 2014

One brand for me:
    Patekomegartier
    [​IMG]

Apa likes this.