Forums Latest Members

One and Only, 41.5mm Blue AT8500 Master Co-Ax vs 114060 ND Submariner

1. dsn112 Feb 23, 2016

Hey forum, i need you help with a decision I am currently trying to make.

I currently own a no date ceramic submariner and it basically is the only watch I wear. It is currently at the service center due to the bezel insert breaking. It is fairly new and Rolex is giving me a hard time about covering it under warranty. So that is two strikes, first the fact a $7200 "tank" watch is already damaged with not contact, and second they are going to fight me over $350 or so in repair.

That said I am contemplating flipping to the AT. I love the blue dial and think it is a great all around er. I wear biz casual and suits for work, and weekends i'm a casual t-shirt and jeans guy. The sub really works for all that well, but again bitter taste in my mouth at the moment.

The AT looks great on the bracelet and on a strap, but the PCLs obviously worry me a bit. Other than that what do you think? Am i making a rash decision? I am a one watch guy, and everytime I get a second I wind up selling the one that I don't wear as much. The wife already thinks I have too much invested in a watch so she would be upset if I tried to keep an AT and the Sub. What would you do if you were me?

Thanks in advance!
    Dave

meganfox17 likes this.
  2. Texas_Tom Feb 23, 2016

Sell the Sub, buy a lovingly preowned 300 SMP AND the AT. You need to have both types of watches in the stable. Period. Can't offer any other advice :)

Riviera Paradise and meganfox17 like this.
  3. dsn112 Feb 23, 2016

I have considered that. I have a blue dial orient mako 41mm too. Technically it could scratch the diver itch.

I have been pretty well served with the Sub as an only so far for the record.

Prior to the Sub I wore a 2500 Black PO, and tried a Speedy for a few weeks.

meganfox17 likes this.
  4. Texas_Tom Feb 23, 2016

Well, I don't own one yet, but you cannot go wrong with the AT, I assume you want the Skyfall?

meganfox17 likes this.
  5. dsn112 Feb 23, 2016

Technically wouldn't this blue be more Spectre? But yes, I like that blue. The master co-ax blue is darker than the skyfall.

meganfox17 likes this.
  6. meganfox17 Feb 23, 2016

Dear dsn112 ,

Much Singing And Good Natured Banter ,

Comes with Loving the Wife , selling the Submariner ,

Then By All Means Buy the Aqua Terra Spectre

Show Us Your Blueatre Dial in this Great Omega Ampitheatre

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Feb 23, 2016

If it were me... I'd try to flip the sub as the memory of that cracked bezel will limit your enjoyment of it in the future to some extent. However, I'd also be wary of letting your wife's feelings impact your watch choice.

You're not a gambling or drug addict, you're not a drunk or abusive, you're a guy with a Submariner, she lucked out with you and if you let her feelings about expensive watches change your buying habits it sets a precedent that will haunt you for the duration of the marriage.

Test the waters by buying her a really badass watch with the leftovers from the AT after you buy it, which then you can use as justification for buying yourself another watch later, women use guilt all the time, but they're also susceptible to it.

Nobel Prize, boat2dan and billyblue like this.
  8. rbob99 Feb 23, 2016

I had an AT with the 8500 movement and it was a little too thick for me. Uncomfortable with a dress shirt, Your mileage may vary but you should try it on before you buy.

9. Saoirse32 Feb 23, 2016

A similar story happened to me, I scratched the ceramic bezel on my DSSD. Thought I could live with it due to replacement cost. In the end, I flipped it for an LVc. Sell the Sub (assuming you bought it used) and you shouldn't lose much. My 2 cents. Good luck.

10. demollo Feb 24, 2016

I think it is a good idea. If you sell the sub you can easily fund to nice Omegas as @texas_tom suggested.

11. uvalaw2005 Feb 24, 2016

Great advice above. Sell the sub, get an AT and SMPc.

Riviera Paradise likes this.
  12. dsn112 Feb 24, 2016

I actually thought about Doing the AT and the Tudor Black Bay with the blue bezel. Give me a little diversity and only a little out of pocket.

Thickness shouldn't be an issue as the sub and the AT are both about 13mm thick.

I bought the watch New, but from DavidSW so not at MSRP. If I flip it, I will lose some money, but I'm ok with that. The AT is pre-owned and a good deal so I'll make it back that way.

Perseus likes this.
  13. uvalaw2005 Feb 24, 2016

That's a lot of blue though if you get the blue AT, what about the Black Bay with red or black bezel? I love the Black Bay, though the slab walls wore a little too thick for me to keep it around.

14. dsn112 Feb 24, 2016

The blue on the bezel only isn't too much. I love blue thought! I also hate the fake vintage look on the red and new black version.

15. Riviera Paradise Feb 24, 2016

I think the AT + Tudor would be a great choice:thumbsup:

You don´t like the Tudor Heritage Black Bay Black?...check it out below...
    https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/the-tudor-heritage-black-bay-black

The Black Bay has the thinner bezel similar to a previous gen Rolex and would get my vote.

Another option could be the SuperOcean Heritage 42mm...although I did struggle to find a strap to work with the watch...started off with mesh, went to rubber and ended up with blue leather...which I know is a bit of a taboo with some purists who think that divers can´t be on leather...but I am not a purist and it seems to work better. I bought it retail but I think you can get them for around US$3K or less. There are also black and blue dial options...the black dial might be more versatile...allowing you to use NATO straps as well.

20160129_232030.jpg

Keeps good time around -2s/day....reliable ETA.

For your initial two watch collection I think the Tudor Black Bay Black / Breitling SuperOcean Heritage 42mm + AT Skyfall would be super combo:)

uvalaw2005 and Texas_Tom like this.
  16. Texas_Tom Feb 24, 2016

17. dsn112 Feb 24, 2016

Well the AT is incoming. I won't rush to make a decision on the second watch. I will watch Recon and see what I can get that I like. May actually go back to my first true love the 2201.50 PO!

18. dsn112 Feb 24, 2016

I like that SO Heritage. There is one used right now with green bezel for like 1900. I will be lurking for a bit looking.

19. uvalaw2005 Feb 24, 2016

That SO Heritage with blue bezel is a grail of mine. Very nice!

20. yinzerniner Feb 24, 2016

@dsn112
    Tough luck on the bezel cracking, but since ceramic is a more brittle material than steel or aluminum that's the cost of entry for getting something that's shinier and more scratch resistant.
    Not to toot my own horn I actually think a thread which I started a while ago might help a bit as it goes into other's feelings about the Sub and a long list of alternates:
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/any-alternative-to-a-submariner.24635/

As for the AT vs the Sub no date direct comparison:
    -The 41.5mm AT wears thinner under a cuff than the Sub even though they're both 13mm. The lack of a rotating bezel helps in that regards
    -That being said they wear somewhat similarly - the AT has the larger dial, but the maxi-lugs (which I personally HATE) gives the Sub some added hip width.
    -You can always get the PCL's brushed on the bracelet
    -The AT bracelet feels much less substantial than the Sub bracelet, and doesn't have the superior clasp like the Sub. That being said, since the AT comes with two half-links and the other removable links are somewhat small it's easy to get a perfect fit.
    -AT is a bit dressier than the Sub, although it's very close. Sub should theoretically be better at the "sport" side of the everyday watch, but like you said the whole "broken insert" could change your handling habits.
    -On the wrist I found the Sub to wear a bit more comfortably, but you'd have to compare both. Each wrist is different.
    -If you like wearing watches on straps then the AT has the Sub beat hands down. The new Subs with the maxi-lugs wear terribly on all straps other than Natos.