Forums Latest Members

Once this has sold, how long until another is available in the open market?

1. Davidt Mar 29, 2015

OMGRLX and NT931 like this.
  2. Tom Dick and Harry Mar 29, 2015

Mick is a forum member and a great guy, these are super rare watches, like my 18K stardust they wear you more than you wear them but it is one hell of a special watch

3. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Mar 29, 2015

Fantastic piece. There have been a few copies on ebay

4. Gaz6263 Mar 29, 2015

Looks very like the one my local AD had for sale on consignment about 6 months ago. Still got the wrong clasp, which is troubling at this price (try locating a correct one).

5. ock2915 Mar 29, 2015

!!Just a dream for any Speedmaster collector !!
    :thumbsup:

6. michael e Still learning. Mar 29, 2015

How sure are you that the clasp is not correct Gaz? The clasp is marked with the Omega logo and is solid gold, the clasp blades fit the rest of the bracelet and do not look adapted in any way, the end pieces are not marked either and are slightly different from other examples I have seen. In my opinion the whole bracelet is correct but just does not have the clasp markings I have seen on any other 18K XI, I cannot see someone taking the time to build a solid 18k bracelet for this watch. So if the clasp/end pieces or bracelet are not for this watch, what is it for?
    My thinking was it might be a Mexican market bracelet, I am happy to be proved wrong though if someone knows for sure.

7. toddle321 Mar 29, 2015

Great watch Mick! The Longines diver you have up is also a really neat watch, I have never seen one before ::love::

8. michael e Still learning. Mar 29, 2015

SpikiSpikester likes this.
  9. michael e Still learning. Mar 29, 2015

Thank you.
    The Longines is a very special watch, I looked long and hard for one of those, do I want to sell it? NO! but I have to show willing to the Missus. I am not expecting a sale any time soon ;)

dwk999 and toddle321 like this.
  10. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Mar 29, 2015

Michael, C 65 says HI.....yes, that is a very,very special watch. the history behind is very interesting and the owners become guardians to that history. extremely rare; much rarer than the $ 100.000 WW2 Panerai`s. kind regards. achim

[​IMG]

11. michael e Still learning. Mar 29, 2015

Lovely Achim.
    I would love to know the true number of how many of these watches are still around.

12. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Mar 29, 2015

longines does not know; they only provided the movements. actually the London silversmith, who made the cases, bought complete longines watches in the UK and just used the movements. at the time I tried to find out more and james dowling did the same. unconfirmed production numbers point the less than 50 pcs.; more likely 40. hard to say, how many survived the growing silver prices after the war. my gut feeling says , it is less than 15 watches worldwide. I bought mine on ebay Germany many years ago from a photographer, who thought, it was a Russian style divers watch and was damaged low grade steel. not tarnished silver. at that stage I did not know much about them either. had never seen one. was quite a gamble as well. once I saw, that every case part of this beauty has the same numbers ( handmade), I started to search . I paid euro 650 for it. both sides were happy. the longines factory was quite helpful with the research. kind regards. achim

13. michael e Still learning. Mar 29, 2015

Hi Achim.
    What do you think of the Omega 30t2 version? Do you think these were made by ATO? on close inspection the brass movement ring is different to the 12.68n movement ring in a way that it looks correct and manufactured for the watch and movement.
    I cannot see any case numbers on this one though.
    Thanks Mick
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 29, 2015

Yes and there is also something wrong with the end links.

15. michael e Still learning. Mar 29, 2015

Any more info on that comment please?
    I am not only interested because this is my watch but would also like to hear your thoughts on this.
    To get a bracelet like this commissioned and made would cost more than a Swiss omega one would have probably so why do you think the bracelet, clasp or end pieces are wrong, why not just buy the bracelet we all know?
    The end pieces are not cheaply made. they are quite thick and heavy 18k.
    Thanks Mick

DLT222 likes this.
  16. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Mar 29, 2015

Michael, I never saw an omega version. it does not make sense; the longines mvmts. worked fine. run the omega mvmt. number to the factory archive and see, which watch comes up.
    first: there was no need for an omega. second: the brass ring could be manufactured after the war and the mvmt. can be from the WW 2 AM omega. third: I met one UK collector at the munich watchfair in the late 90`s, who told me, that there were quite a few leftover cases, but not every part stamped, because they were not assembled by ATO and therefore no need to identify every part for every issue number in case of a service, to make re-assembly easier. but, that is all heresay. but maybe as good as it gets in this case.kind regards. achim.

17. michael e Still learning. Mar 29, 2015

Thanks Achim.
    If that was the case I wonder why they just didn't fit a 12.68n in there and save themselves a bit of bother.
    The center seconds is missing which made me think, also the condition of the movement too, these watches tend to have good, clean looking movements due to the structure of the case. I would love to get my hands on that watch so I can have a good look at it, especially the dial feet.
    Thanks Mick

18. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 29, 2015

Michael,

I enquired at the jewellers where it was on consignment to buy it and the photos they sent were less than great. I would have bought it as there is no secret I'm after one but it ended up been excuse after excuse then really bad pics.

I'm out at the mo but as soon as I'm home I will show you what I mean by the pics I was sent and the pics that I can compare it to!

D

Edited Mar 29, 2015
  19. michael e Still learning. Mar 30, 2015

Thanks Darren.
    I'm still not convinced, I knew about the clasp details before I bought this watch and also the differences between the end pieces.
    It is now on hold too, the buyer certainly knows about vintage Omega ;)
    All the best Mick

grizzlycanuck likes this.
  20. Gaz6263 Mar 30, 2015

To contradict myself somewhat, after talking to Mick about vintage Speedmaster prices in general and remembering what great condition the actual watch head was in, this may turn out to be a bargain. I happen to know Mick is making very little profit, if any, on this. When did he become so charitable;).