Forums Latest Members

On My Bench - Seiko 7548-700B - Another one!

1. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 3, 2021

I serviced a Pepsi variant of one of these a while ago.

This one is the plain black bezel version. It's been well used, but not abused. Although the crystal has seen some welding I suspect.

Dial.JPG

Caseback is nice and clean and no evidence of Edward Scissorhands doing any tinkering.

Caseback.JPG

After the usual check and a brush down to remove crud, the caseback was removed and the battery taken out.

BatteryOut.JPG

Then the hands could be aligned and removed.

HandsOff.JPG

With the hands off and safely stored the dial is removed, exposing the day/date wheels which come off next.

DayDate.JPG

Beneath the day/date wheels are all of the dial side parts which are removed without and problems noted.

DialSide.JPG

With all the bits put away, it's flip the movement over to do the working side. Here I've removed the train bridge, exposing the step rotor and the wheels.

Train.JPG

The step rotor has been removed and captured in its own plastic container (it's a very powerful mini-magnet!). Similarly, the circuit assembly and coil block are removed and put into safe containers.

CoilCircuit.JPG

With the last of the movement parts out and safely stowed, it's time for the case. No dramas and everything is now ready for cleaning.

CaseParts.JPG

And does it need some cleaning!

Grunge.JPG

More to come.

Yak1, Robert M, DaveK and 12 others like this.
  2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 3, 2021

The case wasn't the only cruddy item.

Bezel ring ::puke::

Crud2.JPG

But after some elbow grease and some ultrasonic agitation, I think it turned out quite well.

BezelRing.gif

As did the case with the same scrub-a-dub-dub and bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

IMG_5354.JPG

DaveK, Tako Yaki, TasMike and 2 others like this.
  3. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 4, 2021

Last little bits for today.

With all the case parts cleaned and checked, it was time to drop in the chapter ring, seal ring, crystal seal and press in a new crystal.

NewCrystal.JPG

Then the bezel ring was pressed on.

BezelRingOn.JPG

That's it for today. I'll take this grungy bezel and let it soak in a weak solution of water/dish liquid overnight and use a soft brush and pegwood to clean it up tomorrow.

UnderBezel.JPG

And now I think it's time for a beer before dinner.

DaveK, vibe, Tako Yaki and 4 others like this.
  4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 13, 2021

Well, nothing for ten days!
    :whipped:

Been a bit busy though, getting a car ready to transport interstate for my Grandson's birthday present.
    I wasn't totally slack though. The bezel was let to soak and then cleaned with pegwood and a soft toothprush, then it received its new seal (properly lubricated) and the bezel was pressed on.

IMG_5360.JPG

Last step for the case was to clean/inspect/lubricate/install the crown/stem assembly. I'm glad I had my little crown tool to help with that.

CrownSeal.JPG

The case was then completed by fitting a new caseback seal to the case so it would be ready for a basic waterproof test.

CaseCompleted.JPG

DaveK, Caliber561 and omegaswisst like this.
  5. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 13, 2021

With the case out of the way, I had time to turn my attention to the movement parts.

MovementParts.JPG

The main plate/wheels/setting parts etc were "ultrasoniced". Parts unsuitable for wet cleaning were done with fresh Rodico Premium.

The circuit board was inspected and cleaned, again using fresh Rodico Premium. The circuit board was returned to its light proof container and I cleaned and inspected the coil.

CoilCheck.JPG

6. LuckyLes Feb 13, 2021

Question from the unitiated, why does the circuit board need to be protected from the light?

7. vibe Feb 13, 2021

Who makes that press? It looks very nice.

8. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 14, 2021

It's just something I noted some time ago when servicing a Seiko Chrono with a caliber 7A28A.

Screen Shot 2021-02-14 at 18.11.22.png

I don't know if it's essential to protect the CMOS chip all the time, but it doesn't hurt to do it.

DaveK likes this.
  9. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 14, 2021

I guess some company in China. I bought it a few years ago to replace a cheaper version and as yet I haven't had the need to upgrade.

Just Google "watch crystal screw press".

vibe likes this.
  10. omegaswisst Feb 14, 2021

Out of interest Jim do you press the crystal straight in or do you press a little then rotate the case then press again?

11. jaguar11 Feb 14, 2021

Nice read Jim as usual. Looking forward to updates.

12. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 14, 2021

First press is light to check that the crystal has seated evenly in the gasket, then it's centred/set up level again and pressed in. I do rotate 90º for a final press, but don't know if it's needed or a recommended procedure.

omegaswisst and Tako Yaki like this.
  13. vitriol Feb 14, 2021

That's cool:thumbsup:. I have read about those rings in the old school bezel assembly systems but never had any in my hands.
    I assumed that 7548' ring is the same as 630* ring, but no - 630* rings have L-shaped cross-section while yours is flat.
    technical-drawing.jpg

So, what does that ring do? Is it still engaged in fixing the crystal?

JimInOz likes this.
  14. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 14, 2021

Well I called it a bezel ring.
    As per your diagram (which I should have used as a reference) it is actually a "Glass Fixing Ring" and it does have an L-shaped cross-section.

vitriol likes this.
  15. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 14, 2021

Re-assembly of the movement starts with the crown/stem being lubricated and installed, then the setting parts are fitted to hold the stem in place.

IMG_5436.JPG

Then we start the installation with the battery terminal and centre wheel and centre wheel bridge.

IMG_5437.JPG

Followed by the rotor stator, reset lever, step rotor and the remainder of the train.

IMG_5438.JPG

The coil and circuit block get fitted, the old battery is fitted for a check to see that all is working correctly.

IMG_5439.JPG

Back to the other side and the day/date parts are put on and checked. And that's enough for today.

IMG_5440.JPG

16. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 14, 2021

One of the checks required after assembly of the wheel train is to confirm correct operation of the "hacking" mechanism.

Screen Shot 2021-02-15 at 13.44.34.png
    And here it is in operation.

SSLOP.gif

ZIELSZIEK, DaveK and Scarecrow Boat like this.
  17. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 14, 2021

Argh! I'm hopeless.

I get so involved with the task at hand I forget to take photos.
    After the dial and hands were fitted it was cased up, given a new battery and will run for a while on my bench so I can keep an eye on it for any problems.

So, all done.

IMG_5444.JPG

I think it turned out quite well.

IMG_5445.JPG

18. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Feb 14, 2021

PS: In closing, didn't anyone notice that it's not actually a 7548-700B as I titled this thread.

The observant among you should have twigged that it's actually a 7548-7000!

;)

Back.JPG

TasMike and Scarecrow Boat like this.
  19. b-lilja Feb 14, 2021

Terrific!

20. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Feb 15, 2021

Cool graphics Jim :cool: