Forums Latest Members

OMG are all watch makers buff wheel happy?

1. Tigeranteater Sep 26, 2019

I sent my watchmaker my newly acquired pristine 1503. It still had the remnants of the case back sticker. The lugs on this watch will cut you they are so sharp. I sent an email with instructions NOT to polish anything. Included in the box with the watch was a hand written note with instructions for service and an underlined instruction NOT to polish. So I get an email that the watch arrived safely BUT there seemed to be some “tarnish” on the back. “It seemed to come off easily with the buffer wheel”. The first picture is after the abuse on the buffing wheel showing a brightly polished case back. The second is after a few seconds buffing because the hologram has been completely removed at this point. Holy Shit. I immediately emailed telling him he just buffed off the caseback sticker and please DO NOT BUFF ANYTHING ELSE. Again, holy shit. WTF people. Are all watchmakers buff happy? I saved the rest of the watch in time and thank God I don’t think the rest was buffed. This is a VERY experienced watchmaker. What are your experiences and horror stories?

80EE30A7-640D-4BE2-AFD3-89A56ECC3236.jpeg 249A07D8-A7A5-463B-B29D-513CB872785A.jpeg
    Edited Sep 26, 2019
    kkt likes this.
  2. borre Sep 26, 2019

My experience with RCS: when I ask not to polish, they never did it. I never used a watchmaker (so far).

3. JwRosenthal Sep 26, 2019

I had to drill this into my watchmaker who is a pro of 40 years. He looked at me like I was crazy when I said not to buff, and he still did it on a couple watches I gave him in person years ago -to him it was just a "light buff", which is like "just a little bit pregnant". He finally has gotten to the point of asking if I want him to even clean it in the ultrasonic- to which I say yes.

Buffing was SOP and still is for many- make is shiny. Most customers who drop grandpa's watch off at their local jewelers for a service would be horrified if it came back with the case back looking like that and scratches on the case. My advise is that you talk personally to the watchmaker who will be working on your watch and emphasis every time you send them a piece that they are not to touch the finish on the watch- just service the internals and buff the crystal. Hopefully they will get it.

WatchCor and Tigeranteater like this.
  4. Tigeranteater Sep 26, 2019

I think he understands now that I was horrified. I will still impress upon him that I do not want ANY of my watches polished. I keep going back to the pictures he sent of the case back and want to cry. You would think with an email AND note to not touch any part of it with a wheel would work. I know it’s not horrifically bad but I liked that damn sticker on there.

5. southtexas Sep 27, 2019

Time to find a new watchmaker.

kkt, eugeneandresson and BenBagbag like this.
  6. JwRosenthal Sep 27, 2019

Easier said than done these days

bloomy and BenBagbag like this.
  7. southtexas Sep 27, 2019

Not if you’re willing to ship (and pay up!).

8. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 27, 2019

Bet it smells better without the sticker when you take it off now ;)

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 27, 2019

No, not at all. My default is no polishing, and if you want it, I make it clear that you must specifically ask for it. Sometimes I even discourage it (like the wonderful condition 1016 Explorer I serviced a few years ago, but the owner insisted, so I went as light as I could and still be able to call it refinished), but in the end it's up to the customer.

As was already noted, there was a time when the job wasn't complete unless the watch was polished or refinished. It's typically the "old school" watchmakers who don't understand that some people don't want their watches refinished. Many collectors want to seek these older guys out, but their years of experience come with potential drawbacks with old thinking and long engrained bad habits...

Hopefully your guy has received the message now.

Note that putting the straight grain finish on the back of the case is easily done - it would look better than it does in the photos, even though you can't bring the original finish back...

Cheers, Al

10. Tigeranteater Sep 27, 2019

PM me because I think I would like to have you work on my watches.
    Steve

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 27, 2019

Well, you will have to get in line....and it's a long line...

lando, tyrantlizardrex, kkt and 5 others like this.
  12. Tigeranteater Sep 27, 2019

Lol. I may have a few I can wear while I’m in line. I like my surgeon (crashed on my bike training for Ironman and shoulder was in 4 pieces) and my watchmaker to both be cocky.

apsm100 likes this.
  13. borre Sep 27, 2019

What caused the crash?

14. Tigeranteater Sep 27, 2019

Off season mountain bike... thinking I could fly... stunner... I can’t. I have a nice baby blue titanium plate with 12 screws.

15. Tigeranteater Sep 27, 2019

Archer, in your professional opinion, how bad was the buff job on the back. Pending no other buffing anywhere else, how badly do you think this affected it’s value?

16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 27, 2019

Not cocky, just busy. There's just too much work, and too few watchmakers out there...

In fact 5 years ago today, I had a heart attack and nearly died. Part of the reason was because I had spent the previous 2-3 years working 12 hours a day, 7 days a week, trying to keep up with the demand. It left no time to relax and enjoy life, or to get much in the way of exercise. That's when I stopped trying to take in everything that people asked me to, and doing so is a big part of what keeps me alive.

This job is very sedentary, and I know other watchmakers who have had multiple heart attacks, embolisms from blood clots, etc.. Just yesterday on a watchmaker message list I'm on, news came through that a long time watchmaker had died, and his wife was seeking help to get the outstanding jobs done and back to his customers. After I had my heart attack I started documenting everything in a way that hopefully if the worst happens, my wife won't have too much trouble sorting it out.

So as a result I'm more selective about what I take in, and I don't really even keep a waiting list - it would get so long it would be useless in no time. I turn down more work than I accept, and any watchmaker who is any good at all (and I'm sure some who aren't that good) is swamped, and it's not likely to get any better in the future.

Cheers, Al

Walrus, lando, Eve and 7 others like this.
  17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 27, 2019

Again it will never be original,. but it can be made to look good again. As for value, for the average Rolex guy the impact will be zero, but for the collectors it will depend on how picky they are. IMO not a huge impact like refinishing the whole case would be.

kkt and Tigeranteater like this.
  18. Tigeranteater Sep 27, 2019

Thank you! Sorry about your watchmaker friend. Life is too short. I know after I pass you won’t hear me say, “man, I wish I spent more time at the office”. I appreciate your knowledge and expertise on this forum.
    Regards,
    Steve

19. Bizcut1 Sep 27, 2019

Jesus, that's disappointing. Ridiculous.

20. Stufflers Mom Sep 27, 2019

A sorry tale indeed.